Yankees New Logos for 2008

Waleslax

Honestly, the title was more than enough to get me to look, and be hopeful.

Seeing the subheadline killed my NYY-change enthusiasm, but as I'm also a minor league nut (and tried to intern for the Baby Yanks), I wasn't too crestfallen.

That being said, they're okay. Not fantastic, but okay. Decent B. Considering the immense detail of their old caps, I certainly don't mind these.

Except the shield. Yeah, shield has got to go. Looks like a reject soccer badge.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

The Y and the crest are decidedly "meh." At best.

The SI symbol is an example of how a design can be only a small step or two away from greatness without actually being any good. The bat and cap is a silly, distracting addition that adds nothing but completely disrupts the logo. And the I really needs to intersect the crossbar of the S, and possibly be offset a bit to the right. But even if one insists on echoing the both-letters-centered look of the Yankees cap logo, the I needs to be higher to make the whole thing more vertically compact.

20082614447.png

I'm not a logo designer but I don't understand why the crest isn't symmetrical and why the "N" looks out of place.

There's:

Sunday%20Alt%202.jpg

a quick and dirty idea/change:

SIYANKSQD.png

I think now we know why the "S" is so much bigger - the "I" doesn't read as such if it's the same width as the other letters. Doesn't make it any better a logo, though.

I'm not a logo designer but I don't understand why the crest isn't symmetrical and why the "N" looks out of place.

There's:

Sunday%20Alt%202.jpg

a quick and dirty idea/change:

SIYANKSQD.png

Well, I guess we see why they didn't keep the letter symmetrical - that fat "I" looks terrible.

But that's little solace, since the damn thing looks like utter garbage, regardless of symmetry.

I don't like the various fonts in the logo package. The single script "Y" should match the "Y" in the SI Yankees word-mark. The Interlocking "SI" could be cleaner if the "S" was just a rotated and flipped "N" of the NY Yankees "NY" logo.

The shield would be fine if they went a different route with trying to force the block "SI NY". Simply dropping the Sunday Alternate "SI" logo in to the shield may have been enough.

evidently they didn't wanna do a verbatim copy of the SWB Yanks caps, but this Y is just bad. They gonna look like they stole some other team's caps...like the aforementioned Yakima Bears' oldies. The SI could have been better...take away the hat & bat, and it wouldn't go with anything either. Shoot, the best of the bunch are the hat and the SINY shield...which aint saying much because IMO this is a mediocre set, at best.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Archived