If the Big East / C-USA Dominoes Were to Fall

rock55choc

U Conn's Edsall Wants 9th Big East Team

Just read this article regarding a possible expansion by one team in the Big East. The possible suitors seem to be East Carolina, Memphis, or Central Florida, all of C-USA affiliation.

My question is this, if C-USA were to get raided by one team, who would they then turn to go back to twelve league members? My first two guesses that came to mind were New Mexico State and Troy.

I thought this article was a nice read, one I had expected to eventually surface. Anyone else's thoughts on how the shakedown may occur if the Big East were to go to at least 9 teams?

LibertyBowl.png

This also depends if the Big East wants it's basketball conference to go from 16 to 17 schools as well. Memphis would be the likely candidate to join the Big East with it's rivalries against Louisville & Cincinnati. A few darhorse candidates to join CUSA if Memphis or another school decided to leave: Florida Atlantic, Buffalo, Temple or Louisiana Tech.

As much as I want the Big East to add another football school, I am not sure the timing is right. As someone said above, the B-Ball conference is already at 16 schools (too many to begin with), so one of the non-football schools would have to leave for another football school to come in.

On another note, I think by adding a CUSA school, the Big East would continue to look like the red-headed stepchild of the BCS. If they want to make a splash, they should go for a mid-level team in other BCS conferences (Maryland, Penn State) or work out something so that Notre Dame has to join a conference.

Other than that, who knows?

As much as I want the Big East to add another football school, I am not sure the timing is right. As someone said above, the B-Ball conference is already at 16 schools (too many to begin with), so one of the non-football schools would have to leave for another football school to come in.

On another note, I think by adding a CUSA school, the Big East would continue to look like the red-headed stepchild of the BCS. If they want to make a splash, they should go for a mid-level team in other BCS conferences (Maryland, Penn State) or work out something so that Notre Dame has to join a conference.

Other than that, who knows?

Seconded. Out of those Maryland would make the most sense... a traditional hoops school and instant in-conference rivalries with Georgetown, West Virginia and maybe even Pitt. And it would be nice to see the Big East pay the ACC back for basically trying to destroy their conference.

Penn State also makes much more sense in the Big East than the Big Ten, but politics will prevent that from happening. And Notre Dame won't join a conference until their NBC deal ends.

Funny thing is, the ACC is 1-9 in BCS games, compared to the Big East's record of 6-4. In fact, only the Pac 10 and SEC have better winning percentages in BCS games. I think they're doing just fine the way they're going.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I have a better idea: If that guy wants a ninth school in the Big East, then either have one of the schools raise enough money to create a varsity football team or try to convince Villanova or Georgetown to move up.

Either option has about as much of a chance of seeing a pig fly, though.

How about this idea.... one Big East team jumps up to the Big Ten....say, a taem like Marquette or one of those, to make it a 12-team conference (thus giving them a conference championship game for football), then Memphis moves up to the Big East, and then another team moves up to C-USA from a lesser conference.

Or Notre Dame could just stop being so arrogant about not wanting to be part of a conference and join the Big East in football.

espnsig.gif

How about this idea.... one Big East team jumps up to the Big Ten....say, a taem like Marquette or one of those, to make it a 12-team conference (thus giving them a conference championship game for football), then Memphis moves up to the Big East, and then another team moves up to C-USA from a lesser conference.

Or Notre Dame could just stop being so arrogant about not wanting to be part of a conference and join the Big East in football.

Problem is Marquette does not offer D-1A football.

I wouldn't mind if Troy does get a spot in C-USA. I would hope that our talk of building a new arena will make us a suitable candidate for moving up.

Also, I wouldn't be shocked if FAU tries to lobby for that Big East spot. They seemed pretty bent on trying to get into that conference several years back.

I wouldn't mind if Troy does get a spot in C-USA. I would hope that our talk of building a new arena will make us a suitable candidate for moving up.

Also, I wouldn't be shocked if FAU tries to lobby for that Big East spot. They seemed pretty bent on trying to get into that conference several years back.

I could live with FAU in the Big East. They seem to be headed in the right direction, have a great coach, and are in a media market conducive to Big East potential. I also believe they have plans to get a stadium built on-campus, though nothing has been put into motion yet.

No matter how much football coaches like Edsell cry the Big East isn't adding a football team anytime soon. The current football schools like splitting the BCS, Bowl and TV revenue 8 ways add a team like ECU, Memphis or UCF that does not bring a major tv market and the overall payout for each school would go down a little.

MAKE THE BIG TEN THE BIG TEN AGAIN....KICK OUT PENN STATE NORTHWESTERN!!!!

There, fixed that for ya. At least Penn State is kinda-sorta competitive in football and basketball. Except for Wildcats football's one-hit wonder Rose Bowl season in '95, Northwestern has done jack-squat in a major Big Ten sport for, well, pretty much my entire lifetime. If C-USA is raided by the Big East, Northwestern should be the team that replaces them.

CCSLC signature.png

MAKE THE BIG TEN THE BIG TEN AGAIN....KICK OUT PENN STATE NORTHWESTERN!!!!

There, fixed that for ya. At least Penn State is kinda-sorta competitive in football and basketball. Except for Wildcats football's one-hit wonder Rose Bowl season in '95, Northwestern has done jack-squat in a major Big Ten sport for, well, pretty much my entire lifetime. If C-USA is raided by the Big East, Northwestern should be the team that replaces them.

I'm going to disagree with you there, Northwestern is a founding member of the Big Ten. Doesn't matter what happens they will still be there, they are a great university for Journalism, Management and Law which is perfect for a midwest conference like the Big Ten, in fact the Big Eleven should expand by one and become the Super XII.

I miss the days when Conferences were stable and you knew who was where and knew they would stay that way.

Like the PAC-10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who everyone likes to hate on

Of course I remember the days when that conference was the PAC-8 (before they let in those two carpetbagger schools from over in Arizona). :P

Archived