AFL (Arena) 2008 Updates

Sodboy13

YES!!!!! Los Angeles went back to their old serifed numbers. I just saw the highlights on ESPN!

80072777.jpg

Ah, that's more like it. No screenprinting, either.

Arizona is one of the only teams in ALL of football that pulls off the all-black uniforms perfectly.

Strangely enough, another AFL team, Orlando, is one of the few other teams to make all-black look good. The era of the red "claw mark" numbers was the best in my book.

Also, a note from this afternoon: Georgia's jerseys now have a completely different block number font on the shoulders than the front and back. The shoulder numbers have nearly no serifs.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YES!!!!! Los Angeles went back to their old serifed numbers. I just saw the highlights on ESPN!

80072777.jpg

Arizona is one of the only teams in ALL of football that pulls off the all-black uniforms perfectly.

Strangely enough, another AFL team, Orlando, is one of the few other teams to make all-black look good. The era of the red "claw mark" numbers was the best in my book.

Also, a note from this afternoon: Georgia's jerseys now have a completely different block number font on the shoulders than the front and back. The shoulder numbers have nearly no serifs.

I think they are actually the Falcons font that they also use on their helmet numbers

I think they are actually the Falcons font that they also use on their helmet numbers

Nope. The Falcons don't have a serif on their 1s. The shoulder numbers on the Force jerseys actually look like the block font used as vinyl iron-ons in many a T-shirt shop.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

80072777.jpg

I didn't mind the block that much last year but the slight flare to these custom numbers is subtle enough that I welcome their return.

Now, if only the Avengers lose the light blue jerseys. Those never worked for me with the red helmets, but it sounds like Arizona might give them some competition on the worst mix and match front.

At any rate, I think the Avengers look pictured is solid.

Yes, the Force does use Stahl's lettering for their jerseys. And, they do use the Falcons' numeric style for the number decals. In fact, the Force actually uses the Falcons' shells since they use the same color (Metallic Black). This is mainly because the Force and the Falcons train at the same facility in Flowery Branch, albeit in different parts.

Also, it's good to see the Avengers back with the serifed font.

And, I'm not to crazy about the Rattlers new look. The only reason I would be interested in them is because Lang Campbell is with them. I had the pleasure of being around him when he was with the Falcons this training camp. He is a geniune, down-to-earth, supernice guy. I was not glad whenever he was cut. Ben Nelson, now with the Colorado Crush, is another one of my favorites. He was great as well.

The Dragons appear to have gone back to a previous version of their logo. The black "filler" that was between the jaw and tail/body is gone.

That filler was there last season because the Dragons originally intended to switch to a black helmet. They decided to stick with the reddish-orange shells at the last moment, and were left with decals designed for a black background.

The Dragons appear to have gone back to a previous version of their logo. The black "filler" that was between the jaw and tail/body is gone.

That filler was there last season because the Dragons originally intended to switch to a black helmet. They decided to stick with the reddish-orange shells at the last moment, and were left with decals designed for a black background.

Yep - sure was ugly.

Were you at All-State on Monday?

It's where I sit.

Yep - sure was ugly.

Were you at All-State on Monday?

Nope, I was watching it on TV at home. Had a bead on some tickets, but then forgot about the auction. I'm hoping to make it to the Saturday night game against Colorado on the 22nd, and hopefully some Monday night games too. (I'm working a boatload of Sunday OT lately.) If you're planning to make it down here for any more games, let me know.

Anyone know what this patch is on the shoulder of the Soul?

Fifth Anniversary patch. It's a large Roman Numeral V, with the phrase "Your Team YoUnited" superimposed over it. The "o" in "YoUnited" is the Soul football logo.

And that clusterf*** of elements you just described perfectly illustrates why it's one of the more horrid anniversary logos in recent memory.

I founf it annoying that Chicago has the Discover logo on both shoulders. They could have used another sponsor in place of them.

Discover is a league sponsor, but has also cut a local deal with the Rush.

It's where I sit.

Fifth Anniversary patch. It's a large Roman Numeral V, with the phrase "Your Team YoUnited" superimposed over it. The "o" in "YoUnited" is the Soul football logo.

Its an AFL team celebrating being in one city over 4 years. I think they're the first in the league to accomplish this feat...

Its an AFL team celebrating being in one city over 4 years. I think they're the first in the league to accomplish this feat...

Not even funny.

Archived