Capital Centre...why?

drivethru1986

Back in the early to mid 1970s it was trendy to use the "Centre" spelling; quite a few shopping malls and strip centers used that spelling, but many of them returned to using "Center" when they got new signage in the 1980s/1990s.

Considering the time frame when the arena was built, I'm sure the developers and civic leaders went with the "new, mod, trendy" Centre spelling. :rolleyes:

Doesn't center refer to the geometrical center of something, while centre refers to a major gathering or assembly place (like an arena?) I know "re" may not be "American" English, but I think that in colloquial usage they can be used this way.

Or not.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Abe could've been feeling Canadian--after all, the Centre looked exactly the same as the Saddledome

The Cap Centre was opened about 8 years before the Saddledome

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Abe could've been feeling Canadian--after all, the Centre looked exactly the same as the Saddledome

After all, the Capital Centre opened in 1973 while the (Pengrowth) Saddledome opened in 1983. Why worry about "why" when it is a correct spelling? It is gone and has been, so be it. Damnit Tank, you beat me to it.

After all, the Capital Centre opened in 1973 while the (Pengrowth) Saddledome opened in 1983. Why worry about "why" when it is a correct spelling? It is gone and has been, so be it. Damnit Tank, you beat me to it.

yeah why are we talking about an arena that has not been around since December 15, 2002.

Saw a Capitals game there in 1991... darkest, most depressing arena I have ever been in.

Minor pro but this "honor" now has got to go to the Binghamton Senators place. I could not believe they got the AHL all-star game this year.

Welcome to the AHL Eastern Conference, where you can draw 2,000 a night and play in a rec center, but be considered a "success" because you're within bus distance.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yea I know the cap centre is gone...I've just always wondered...now I am a Devils fan and the meadowlands was a pretty dull building...had some great times there...but still it was a sub-par place to see a game....as for the AHL arenas....I go to college about 5 minutes from the Arena at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport, CT and while it is a pretty nice arena...nobody cares at all about the Soundtigers....

YankeesSig.png

Brendancopy.png

NewJerseyDevils2.png

Archived