2008 MLB Season

gingerbreadmann

Chris Davis now has 10 Home Runs in his first 25 games.

Say it with me.

BEAST.

Shades of Kevin Maas...

I'll never forget watching Mel Allen on TWIB go nuts over Kevin Maas' start with the Yankees. My friends and I all went looking for as many Maas cards as we could get our hands on, figuring he was the next Babe.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the Tribe traded Casey Blake to the Dodgers for Triple-A Pitcher Jon Meloan and Class-A Catcher Carlos Santana.

I don't really like this trade right now.

Hopefully it'll be something in the future.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Say it with me.

BEAST.

Shades of Kevin Maas...

I'll never forget watching Mel Allen on TWIB go nuts over Kevin Maas' start with the Yankees. My friends and I all went looking for as many Maas cards as we could get our hands on, figuring he was the next Babe.

My memory tells me Carlos Delgado had a similarly scary first month back in April 1994

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Say it with me.

BEAST.

Shades of Kevin Maas...

My memory tells me Carlos Delgado had a similarly scary first month back in April 1994

For every Carlos Delgado, there's a Jay Bruce -- Anyone remember that guy? :P

6uXNWAo.png

Not a pretty Sox game. Should take Lester vs. Ponson tomorrow, but losing 2 of 3 at home sure as hell ain't good.

I hope Theo has an answer to the Nady/Marte trade the Yankees made... the Sox have the pieces to move.

I'm not too concerned with Nady, a career .270 (at best) hitter playing in the Bronx? Does he have the make-up to keep up his hot season with the New York media on his back? I don't know, I doubt it, this isn't Pittsburgh (no offense Buc fans). Marte on the other hand had been mentioned in the same breath as the Red Sox, sad to see that not happen, they really could've used his arm in the bullpen.

The Sox have been rumored to be in talks with the Braves for Texiera, a trade that would see Youk grabbing the next flight to Atlanta. Good god I hope the F.O. wakes up, to actually consider a deal like that is ridiculous. They're also looking at picking up Juan Uribe, another terrible move. He's a hacker and doesn't fit into the construction of that lineup anywhere.

Big news today is that Theo is open to trading Manny this season. Yeah it's the trade deadline, of course talks about Manny are popping up, but this has a little bit of steam to it since Theo & Co. aren't to keen on keeping him around for 2009, trade or no trade.

Personally, I'd ship off Manny somewhere and then try and work a package including Ellsbury and Michael Bowden to Denver for Matt Holiday and Fuentes. I think that's a deal that would interest the Rockies.

I'd like it if they sent Manny to the Cardinals and got back a package including Bryan Anderson, who's one of the better catching prospects and who should be ready for call up next year.

IUe6Hvh.png

So the Tribe traded Casey Blake to the Dodgers for Triple-A Pitcher Jon Meloan and Class-A Catcher Carlos Santana.

I don't really like this trade right now.

Hopefully it'll be something in the future.

It's a nice move for The Dodgers. The Tribe is in full rebuild mode. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone short of Grady Sizemore is available right now. I think if the right deal came along for Sizemore, Shapiro might even take a look at that too.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Looks like the NL East is officially becoming a three team race with the Bravos unraveling for the second day in a row.

Not so fast my friend. The Phillies are letting them back in the game here.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Needed to take two of three against the Phillies, Drew.

I think the Braves are going to be sellers now. If they won this series, I think Braves Management would have tried to stay in the race, now I can see them trying like hell to deal Teixiera, which would be the Braves themselves calling it over.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Not a pretty Sox game. Should take Lester vs. Ponson tomorrow, but losing 2 of 3 at home sure as hell ain't good.

I hope Theo has an answer to the Nady/Marte trade the Yankees made... the Sox have the pieces to move.

I'm not too concerned with Nady, a career .270 (at best) hitter playing in the Bronx? Does he have the make-up to keep up his hot season with the New York media on his back? I don't know, I doubt it, this isn't Pittsburgh (no offense Buc fans). Marte on the other hand had been mentioned in the same breath as the Red Sox, sad to see that not happen, they really could've used his arm in the bullpen.

The Sox have been rumored to be in talks with the Braves for Texiera, a trade that would see Youk grabbing the next flight to Atlanta. Good god I hope the F.O. wakes up, to actually consider a deal like that is ridiculous. They're also looking at picking up Juan Uribe, another terrible move. He's a hacker and doesn't fit into the construction of that lineup anywhere.

Big news today is that Theo is open to trading Manny this season. Yeah it's the trade deadline, of course talks about Manny are popping up, but this has a little bit of steam to it since Theo & Co. aren't to keen on keeping him around for 2009, trade or no trade.

Personally, I'd ship off Manny somewhere and then try and work a package including Ellsbury and Michael Bowden to Denver for Matt Holiday and Fuentes. I think that's a deal that would interest the Rockies.

I'd like it if they sent Manny to the Cardinals and got back a package including Bryan Anderson, who's one of the better catching prospects and who should be ready for call up next year.

I think finding a Catcher should be much higher on the To-Do list for Theo than it is right now. It's time to all but give up on George Kottaras who's only 25 but steadily declining in every offensive category. There's been rumors about Johjima ending up in a Sox uniform but the front office denies it.

I don't see the Sox trading Manny this season in the midst of a pennant race, unless they can get the likes of Matt Holliday (another rumored deal) or someone of his caliber, Jason Bay maybe? Although grumblings have surfaced that the Phillies have had talks inside their organization about a possible deal, who knows what will come of that, probably nothing though. Personally, I think they'll wait till the off-season, decline his option and then offer him arbitration. Allowing them to collect picks. Probably the safest move available.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ellsbury shipped out of town, but with the way Boston covets it's young players like they are pure gold, I'd put my money on Coco getting the boot, not Jacoby.

Last bit of news, the Dodgers seem interested in Pedroia (ya right LA, nice try). Sticking with LA, after failing to get Christian Guzman and Jack Wilson the Dodgers seem poised to overpay for Orlando Cabrera by offering the ChiSox Derek Lowe.

Needed to take two of three against the Phillies, Drew.

I think the Braves are going to be sellers now. If they won this series, I think Braves Management would have tried to stay in the race, now I can see them trying like hell to deal Teixiera, which would be the Braves themselves calling it over.

That's exactly what I was thinking before this series. If they had gotten 2 out of 3, I think they would've made a run for it.

Now, it's time for them to get the best they can for Teixiera, unless a miracle happens and he decides to stay by his own will.

So today, Shane Victorino blew up Brian McCann while smashing into him during a play at the plate. McCann couldn't hold on to the ball (frankly, after watching the replays, he's lucky his head is still one with his body) so Victorino scored the run.

My question is why is smashing into the catcher a legal play? What makes the plate different than any of the bases, where contact is not allowed? It seems like the catchers are in an extremely vulnerable position most of the time (eyes on the ball as it's being delivered, not necessarily on the runner who is about to destroy him) and can get seriously hurt. The sole intent of the runner is to hit the catcher so hard that he can't hold on to the ball. How in the world does that have any place in baseball?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So today, Shane Victorino blew up Brian McCann while smashing into him during a play at the plate. McCann couldn't hold on to the ball (frankly, after watching the replays, he's lucky his head is still one with his body) so Victorino scored the run.

My question is why is smashing into the catcher a legal play? What makes the plate different than any of the bases, where contact is not allowed? It seems like the catchers are in an extremely vulnerable position most of the time (eyes on the ball as it's being delivered, not necessarily on the runner who is about to destroy him) and can get seriously hurt. The sole intent of the runner is to hit the catcher so hard that he can't hold on to the ball. How in the world does that have any place in baseball?

I believe that if the catcher is blocking the plate the base runner has the right to touch the plate, therefore he has to run over the catcher to get the run. I think if the catcher is impeding the runners baseline he is able to be train-wrecked. However if the catcher is out of the baseline he is not fair game and the runner can be called out for interference if he runs into the catcher.

saBS.png

That still doesn't quite answer BBTV's question. If that's the rationale, is it legal for baserunners to plow into some other infielder who happens to be blocking one of the other three bases? If it is legal, why don't we see that more often? If it isn't, to repeat BBTV's question, why is it allowed at the plate?

I think it's a fair question and I would not mind if that was stricken from the game.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

That still doesn't quite answer BBTV's question. If that's the rationale, is it legal for baserunners to plow into some other infielder who happens to be blocking one of the other three bases? If it is legal, why don't we see that more often? If it isn't, to repeat BBTV's question, why is it allowed at the plate?

I think it's a fair question and I would not mind if that was stricken from the game.

arod1.jpg

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

how do you blow a 6-run lead and a 5-run lead in less than 24 hours? Other than Gonzalez, there's nobody to fear in that bullpen...

You don't watch much Braves baseball. Boyer and Ring are great at giving up hits and runs.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

how do you blow a 6-run lead and a 5-run lead in less than 24 hours? Other than Gonzalez, there's nobody to fear in that bullpen...

You don't watch much Braves baseball. Boyer and Ring are great at giving up hits and runs.

...and to think that when Smoltz was supposed to return to the bullpen everyone was saying it would be TOO good and that someone that didn't deserve it would have to go.

:down:

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

I'm not sure but I believe that it is legal to plow over any baseman blocking the base path, but it isn't practical for the runner. At home he only has to touch home, at any other base he has to remain on the base, if he runs over the fielder he will most likely over run the base and be tagged out anyways. I believe that I have heard this before but am not 100% positive on the rule.

saBS.png

Archived