Arena Rafters & Banners

Who would you retire? Can't really think of anyone worthy without it seeming like you forced it, unles you wanted to do Bob McAdoo for the Buffalo Braves. You could I guess do Bill Walton but his best years weren't on the Clippers. I think your next best option is Elton Brand whenever he retires, and then Blake Griffin in about 15 years. One other option i guess is Eric Piatkowski for longevity reasons but that'd be a pretty sad choice for first retired number

I think if they would retire anything it be Ralph Lawler their hall of fame announcer and really the only reason I would watch a clips game before Blake griffin.

lalakers_sig.png

Glad the Rays Wild Card Banner simply says Wild Card and not "Wild Card Champion"

You can win the Wild Card, but it doesn't make you a champion.

Same rule should go for every bowl game not named the BCS Championship.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

• 2 weeks later...

At least the Stanley Cup Banner looked pretty good (simple, no giant Stanley Cup on it cough Lightning cough)

Tampa Bay isn't the only team to have the Stanley Cup featured prominently on their banners:

5813575782_6eca57582c.jpg

Maple_Leafs_Banner.jpg

banners.jpg

Also, here's a link to LA's banner. Not terrible, but nothing special either.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Are they moving away from the "banner wall" atop that one end of the arena for all the tenants?

just them so far...

http://espn.go.com/l...ndy-hook-family

The Kings had followed the tradition of the Lakers, their co-tenants in the Forum and Staples, by hanging their banners on the walls of the arenas. But after doubling their number of banners from two to four, the Kings joined every other NHL team and moved their banners into the rafters.The club also made new banners for the transition, hanging its Western Conference title banner before fans even entered the arena next to a similar new banner celebrating the 1992-93 conference title. The Kings hung new ones for their five retired numbers, including Dionne, Vachon and Wayne Gretzky.

At least the Stanley Cup Banner looked pretty good (simple, no giant Stanley Cup on it cough Lightning cough)

Tampa Bay isn't the only team to have the Stanley Cup featured prominently on their banners:

Maple_Leafs_Banner.jpg

I haven't been to the ACC yet, but how visible are the Leafs logos on the banner? It always bugged me and I was wondering if it's just a crappy camera.

How to screw up your retired numbers:

eqnUDlG.jpg

That's a damn shame. From my crappy SD TV, I did a double-take and wondered why the numbers looked like they were redone with a Kabel font.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Maple_Leafs_Banner.jpg

I haven't been to the ACC yet, but how visible are the Leafs logos on the banner? It always bugged me and I was wondering if it's just a crappy camera.

They're actually easily visible, even for the Arenas/St. Pats logos.

Side note, but while I don't mind celebrating Conference Championships, it seems pretty unnecessary to hang banners for them in years you won the Cup.

Side note, but while I don't mind celebrating Conference Championships, it seems pretty unnecessary to hang banners for them in years you won the Cup.

A team would probably hang a conference championship banner if they are a relatively newer franchise or don't win a lot of Cups. If you're a team like MTL then I guess you can't find room for extra Conference Champs banners.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

In person they are actually quite beautiful. They're probably my favourite, due in part in them using the logos that were used at that time, perhaps they would have been more interesting if they used the Stanley Cup as it looked at the time. I think the Edmonton Eskimos have done that with the Grey Cup (which as gone through three versions so far.)

Also doesn't the Flyers also have the Cup on their banner? Or have they changed that?

tigercatssignature-1.png

In person they are actually quite beautiful. They're probably my favourite, due in part in them using the logos that were used at that time, perhaps they would have been more interesting if they used the Stanley Cup as it looked at the time. I think the Edmonton Eskimos have done that with the Grey Cup (which as gone through three versions so far.)

Also doesn't the Flyers also have the Cup on their banner? Or have they changed that?

No, the Flyers never had the cup on theirs. Here's a shot from google. Pay no attention to the Bobby Clarke banner, as the retired number banners were all redone last year to include action shots of the players.

110909835.jpgHoweBannerRaise.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is there a database anywhere would you can see all of the SC Champ banners, ECF / Wales conference banners, etc.?

Seems like a logical extension of that awesome hockey uniform db, no? Though it'd also be cool to see for the other sports.

Along the lines of the other sports, it sorta bothers me that division titles in NFL aren't celebrated (by most teams) as much as any other sport. Maybe it's because there's no real way to hang banners in most arenas, or maybe just because it's not the tradition. It really seems to devalue the accomplishment though (though the fact that for a time, 3 other teams in your own division could also qualify for the playoffs also kinda devalued it.)

I know here everyone is furious with the Eagles for their lack of championship since 1960, but I think that looking around and seeing 8 division banners might soften the blow a bit (even if it's only the same amount as the other two teams besides the Cowboys would have.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

New York Islanders-Nassau Coliseum

3351390905_e133b31f0c.jpg

3352198788_528e2a862f.jpg

potvin580_401.jpg

3351372581_46c92c724e.jpg?v=0

3664182187_3427a4d676.jpg

as an islander fan nd long island resident, everytime i enter the coliseum i always admmire the islanders banners and just look up at the greatness that once was. Im wondering how barclays center is going to handle the islanders banners, i hope all of them make the move because that would be an additional slap in the face next to losing our team to the city. also, the dragons banners were removed after the AFL folded.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

A team would probably hang a conference championship banner if they are a relatively newer franchise or don't win a lot of Cups. If you're a team like MTL then I guess you can't find room for extra Conference Champs banners.

I have no problem with hanging banners for Conference Championships. If you're a newer team and that's all you have, you should celebrate it. However, if you won the Cup that same year, hanging a Conference Champs banner is just dumb. It makes it look like you're hanging a banner just to fill some space in the rafters.