Arena Rafters & Banners

Here are some pics I took with my phone that show the new Astros pennants and retired numbers signage. Besides the color change, for their '04 and '05 flags the team removed the banners below those flags denoting that they won the wild card in both of those seasons. While making the playoffs is much more difficult in baseball than any of the other North American sports, there still is something odd about putting up a wild card champions banner so I am glad those are gone.

Speaking of wildcard banners, did the Rangers and Braves put up flags denoting that they were "wild card champions" that lost their one playoff game last year? Did the Orioles put up a Wild Card pennant from last year too?

20130407_1317321_zps5ec7a942.jpg

20130407_131742_zpsa1ec435d.jpg

20130407_131754_zpsc4e2c5b2.jpg

20130407_131802_zps16b83e90.jpg

• 2 months later...

Speaking of wildcard banners, did the Rangers and Braves put up flags denoting that they were "wild card champions" that lost their one playoff game last year? Did the Orioles put up a Wild Card pennant from last year too?

Ugh... yes. They put it in the same style as the Division Championships from the 90's too. I think it says "American League Playoffs" though.

Argonauts 2012 Grey Cup Banner (can't post the pic).

are those banners up for Jays games? I was just up there last weekend and went to two games, and I didn't see the Argos banners.

Up until a few years ago, they used to, but not anymore. I have no clue why they'd go to all that effort to put up/take down the banners before every home game. They hang a bit to the left if the Blue Jays' banners, so it's not like it obscures anyone's view or anything.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Argonauts 2012 Grey Cup Banner (can't post the pic).

are those banners up for Jays games? I was just up there last weekend and went to two games, and I didn't see the Argos banners.

Up until a few years ago, they used to, but not anymore. I have no clue why they'd go to all that effort to put up/take down the banners before every home game. They hang a bit to the left if the Blue Jays' banners, so it's not like it obscures anyone's view or anything.

My theory is that it's Roger's and they are evil....

tigercatssignature-1.png

• 2 weeks later...

The Eagles will be hanging retired number and championship banners from the roof of the Linc when the renovations are completed next year.

http://events.lincolnfinancialfield.com/stadium-reno/index.html#project-gallery

player-banners-thumb.jpgchamp-banners-thumb.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Eagles will be hanging retired number and championship banners from the roof of the Linc when the renovations are completed next year.

http://events.lincol...project-gallery

player-banners-thumb.jpgchamp-banners-thumb.jpg

But they're using the modern logo for 1980? :puke:

That's just a rendering. No idea what it will actually look like.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1026140_10152289619290110_255680826_o.jpg

This is a little lame. The Wild Card banners that is...

UPDATED: Includes all banners since the Orioles move to Baltimore

I was at the Yard a few weeks ago sitting in section 3 (the section literally right above that bathroom) and didn't notice. I know I was drunk, but holy crap man.

sig_gai.png

warriorbannerssmall.png

• 3 weeks later...

Last week, the Blue Jays honoured Carlos Delgado on their "Level of Excellence", and while they were at it, they re-did the layout.

Old:

5991970495_cec53202e5_z.jpgrogers-centre-blue-jays-level-of-excellence.jpg

New:

BPtrMdBCMAIKb6y.jpg

• They replaced the words "Toronto Blue Jays/Level of Excellence", and instead put the cursive graphic. All the previous names moved one spot inward as a result.
  • They changed the font to their current one. I don't have a problem with this, since all their banners are era-specific and using either one of their '90s fonts wouldn't have been very legible (case in point).
  • With the exception of Tom Cheek (4 306) and Roberto Alomar (12, the only retired number), all of the players' numbers have been removed.

Last week, the Blue Jays honoured Carlos Delgado on their "Level of Excellence", and while they were at it, they re-did the layout.

Interesting, although I don't necessarily agree with honoring Delgado, lol. What did he really accomplish with the BJ's?

Interesting, although I don't necessarily agree with honoring Delgado, lol. What did he really accomplish with the BJ's?

He's one of only two honoured players to have not won a championship with the team (George Bell is the other), but he is the franchise leader in pretty much every major offensive category, including homers, RBI, OBP, slugging percentage, doubles, walks, and is second in games played.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this because it looks like the Knicks got some new banners. Because of the bridges, some banners had to be re-sized (per the Post: http://nypost.com/2013/10/25/new-garden-new-policy-knicks-hang-division-banners/). The 1950s era Knicks banners now feature that olde-tymey basketball guy instead of the same logo that appears on the 1970-71 banner (old banners visible here http://www.flickr.com/photos/20456447@N03/8713214373/in/photolist-egXv52-7ZmDV7-eeVxhM-8UjxZh-dAWFk9-bu5FbB-95SaFy-9YbLLx-eBXvfx-8k6ctG-8k2XWi-8k6at7-abvnBp-abv7ii-ds2gzi-abxXn9-dUCsYQ-f1BQbL).

garden-transformed.jpg