Arena Rafters & Banners

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this because it looks like the Knicks got some new banners. Because of the bridges, some banners had to be re-sized (per the Post: http://nypost.com/2013/10/25/new-garden-new-policy-knicks-hang-division-banners/). The 1950s era Knicks banners now feature that olde-tymey basketball guy instead of the same logo that appears on the 1970-71 banner (old banners visible here http://www.flickr.com/photos/20456447@N03/8713214373/in/photolist-egXv52-7ZmDV7-eeVxhM-8UjxZh-dAWFk9-bu5FbB-95SaFy-9YbLLx-eBXvfx-8k6ctG-8k2XWi-8k6at7-abvnBp-abv7ii-ds2gzi-abxXn9-dUCsYQ-f1BQbL).

garden-transformed.jpg

Father Knickerbocker!!!!

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Way down in level from the major leagues, but here's the banners of the top hockey in my small city. Banners at Fort William Gardens in Thunder Bay. Took individual pics then cropped and pasted them together.

Panorama_all_zpsd456d394.jpg

Here's an inside shot from Saturday's university hockey game - gives you somewhat of an idea how most of the banners are arranged in the old arena - mostly along both sides. The 2005 allan cup banner (not pictured in arena shot) would be in the near left corner if it was in picture and I think is hung lower than the others.

P1520149_zpsc6acdc2c.jpg

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

1415245_10152618876990110_1069801132_o.j

I think it would look a lot better with the logo at the top instead. Since their logo basically is a wordmark, I don't see the benefit of writing out "WASHINGTON CAPITALS".

I agree and it would look a hell of a lot better if they altered the colors of the banners AND eliminated the two "Regular Season Eastern Conference" and the "Presidents' Trophy" Banners.

Presidents' Trophy is fine to me, because there is an actual award handed out. There's no "first in your conference, but not in the league" trophy. It just stinks because the team that wins the Presidents' Trophy normally doesn't win the Stanley Cup, so there's some bad feelings.

The Boston Bruins used to clog the rafters of the old Boston Garden with Adams Division and Wales Conference Championship banners (they were envious of all the banners the Celtics had). Now, only the Stanley Cups get their own banner and everything else is consolidated.

2501445948_dabb0b20fe_z.jpg

In 2011, they re-did the Stanley Cup banners with period correct logos.

bruins-revamped-banners.jpg

The Celtics have 21 numbers retired. If the NBA used college/high school rules (which they dont) where you had to pick 0, 00, 1-15, 20-25, 30-25, 40-45, or 50-55 (41 options), then there would be only 20 numbers available. So if you join a roster that already has 14 out of 15 players on it you only would have a choice of 6 numbers.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Despite only a 10 year history of having banners in the Honda Center, the Ducks have had a fair amount of changes.

After the 2003 Cup Final run, the Ducks put up a 1993 inaugural year and 2003 "Mighty Decade" banner before they raised the 2003 Western Conference Champion banner on opening night in 2003. I think this was mostly to make the one Western banner not look lonely at the time, but whatever. I was 13 I was cool with it then.

pg2_g_ducks_banners1_576.jpg

Then when Brian Burke came in 2005, he wanted any of that "Disney crap" taken down. So the Mighty Decade banner came down but the 1993 inaugural season and Western Champs banners stayed. Then in 2007, the Ducks won the Pacific Division, Western Conference, and Stanley Cup and raised those three banners. The Stanley Cup banner went in the middle at the direction of then-captain Scott Neidermayer because that's what they did in New Jersey to show its the centerpiece and the ultimate focus.

385914_2533669414702_1828389559_n.jpg

Then the Ducks won the Pacific Division in 2013 and there were more changes. The 1993 inaugural banner was taken down, the 2007 Pacific Division banner was changed from white to black and the 2013 division banner used the "D" instead of "Ducks" and was placed on the opposite side of the lineup just to keep the 2007 Cup banner centered, creating a weird lineup. I think they should have either grouped them by type (Cup, Conf, Div) or chronologicially, but this makes no sense.

BTmXDdSCAAEtSXW.jpg

Overall, I wish the "Ducks" banners were done more like the "Mighty Ducks" banner(s) with the large logo in the middle. This would have worked great if they just used the D, but the full "Ducks" isn't tall enough and so it's marginalized on the three 2007 banners in favor of large text, almost like it was just shoved on there. Then in 2013 they kept the same style, but used the "D" so now that also looks slightly marginalized. I also think the accomplishment should be larger than the year, because that's whats' important, but whatever.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I wish they were a bit more creative with the Stanley Cup Banner. Even though it's a different color, it's pretty much the same as the other banners. I like what Chicago does, and I wish they had something more like that.

At the very least, I'd like them to organize their banners in some way that's not completely stupid.

I wish they were a bit more creative with the Stanley Cup Banner. Even though it's a different color, it's pretty much the same as the other banners. I like what Chicago does, and I wish they had something more like that.

At the very least, I'd like them to organize their banners in some way that's not completely stupid.

Yeah I definitely agree with that, that's why I said I wish the logos were a little more prominent like on the Mighty banner. Otherwise it's just Impact Bold text on a banner. Same reason I don't like those Capitals banners above (along with taking away the bronze/blue/black era, which I liked. Represent your history, dammit) There's just nothing to them. Text on a banner. Wow.

Unfortunately, they are what they are and we'll probably be stuck with them for a bit, so like you, the very least they could organize them in some logical fashion. Like what happens if they do end up winning something this year? Where do you want to put these things? Just a division or conference banner would push the Cup banner slightly off center. If they get a division and a conference, they'll probably throw them on the outsides and jumble the dates further. If they get all three again, I guess they'd slap the other two on the ends and put the second Cup in the middle.

Or they could just go ahead and make sense of them. That'd be swell.

Even if they don't win anything this year, they'll probably raise a banner for #8 next year. I'm very curious to see what they do with that.

If I had to guess, I'd say either on the other side of the arena or a couple rungs in front of those banners. But they'll probably put it right next to the other banners (and hopefully rearrange the whole thing. If I had my choice, it'd go #8, 2003 WC, 2007 SC, 2007 WC, 2007 PD, 2013 PD. Keep it all together and in some organized fashion). It's a good question. If they do hang it off on its own, it's like it'll be single for long. #27 will go up shortly after that and #35 won't be far behind.

How are they going to do it though? Jiggy and Teemu played for the Mighty and non-Mighty Ducks.

I personally wouldn't care whatever team they were retired for (even though it will probably be the Ducks) as long as they don't go back and retire Herbert or Salei or *gasp* Kariya or whoever as non-Mighty Ducks.

IbjBaeE.png

The Boston Bruins used to clog the rafters of the old Boston Garden with Adams Division and Wales Conference Championship banners (they were envious of all the banners the Celtics had). Now, only the Stanley Cups get their own banner and everything else is consolidated.

2501445948_dabb0b20fe_z.jpg

In 2011, they re-did the Stanley Cup banners with period correct logos.

bruins-revamped-banners.jpg

I'd be fine if the Capitals did the same thing the Bruins do. It would look a little nicer, IMO