Ads on the boards during the Stanley Cup Playoffs

dancincy

OK, this has always been something that made me curious and I may be the only person on earth who actually even notices stuff like this, but has anyone ever noticed during the Stanley Cup Playoffs how some advertisements on the boards are unusual and out of place?

For instance, during the Rangers/Penguins series, there is an ad for UPMC - (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center) on the boards at Madison Square Garden. Also during the Bruins/Habs series in Boston, there were ads on the boards for CKAC radio and Desjardins and so on. I also seem to recall a few other instances like this (last year's Rangers/Sabres series at MSG had an ad for Bully Hill Winery in the Finger Lakes).

I was just curious if anyone knew the reason behind this stuff.

I think it's because the advertisers know that all the fans from the "away" team will be watching, so they want to get their ads on television.

I do think its funny, seeing a Pizza Pizza ad on the boards in Boston, but it makes sense to me...

I know MSG Network tried to superimpose a couple of ads on/behind the boards last season during Rangers games, but it didn't last for long. It was kind of like how FOX superimposes stuff onto an NFL Field or something. It wasn't green screens or anything is my point...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_565149.html

The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is making sure the Penguins don't get homesick at Madison Square Garden.

The health giant placed ads on two 12-foot dasher boards smack in the center of the rink.

"I would attribute the Penguins' win in New York City to the fact they saw our logo and felt right at home," UPMC spokesman Paul Wood said.

UPMC officials said they received an unexpected call from Madison Square Garden a week ago, offering a "very, very good deal," Wood said.

story continues below

"It was a good value for the exposure we were getting," said Wood, refusing to say how much UPMC paid for the ads. "Given that these games are nationally televised, it was a good opportunity to raise awareness of the UPMC brand to a broader audience."

Madison Square Garden officials could not be reached for comment.

It's not the first time UPMC, which last year posted profits of $612 million, advertised in the Big Apple. On New Year's Eve 2006, UPMC displayed its name on massive, high-definition TVs in Times Square. It has advertised in national publications, such as The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal.

Wood said he doubts UPMC will advertise at future Stanley Cup games outside New York.

"Do you think Philadelphia will be calling us?"

How'd that work out for them last night? TBH I went to both Raangers games at the Garden and didn't notice any of the ads. I think it's more for TV viewers.

How'd that work out for them last night? TBH I went to both Raangers games at the Garden and didn't notice any of the ads. I think it's more for TV viewers.

I was at last night's game too and you could definitely see them. Here's a photo, upper right-hand corner:

33f448342c28deb9e8e63f9180871585-getty-80824887rb031_pittsburgh_pe.jpg

That makes sense about advertisers buying space for visiting fans who will be watching, it's just kind of weird to see stuff like that..especially an ad for a hospital in Pittsburgh in New York.

Good article by the way, although I never knew about the New Years Eve thing..and that seems even more unusual than this.

Sometimes during the World Cup of Hockey, there are advertisements in Russian on the boards. Also, I've seen baseball games in North America with japanese ads on the outfield wall. TV & advertisements rule pro sports nowadays.

thecatch.jpg

Anyone else think there's something fundamentally wrong with a HOSPITAL advertising it's services? Weren't hospitals originally supposed to operate as non-profit entities? Whatever happened to that?

Well, it isnt a hospital. Its many hospitals, doctors, doctor's offices, etc. etc. A whole system. Dont know if that makes a difference, but I thought I'd clear that up anyways.

oBIgzrL.png

I know MSG Network tried to superimpose a couple of ads on/behind the boards last season during Rangers games, but it didn't last for long. It was kind of like how FOX superimposes stuff onto an NFL Field or something. It wasn't green screens or anything is my point...

Get ready for something like that again next year on most of the NHL broadcast. The NHL is currently testing virtual ads during the playoffs.

Anyone else think there's something fundamentally wrong with a HOSPITAL advertising it's services? Weren't hospitals originally supposed to operate as non-profit entities? Whatever happened to that?

UPMC is a non-profit group according to tax law but they are widely hated for this kind of stuff.

#1 on the list: they are putting UPMC in 20-foot letters on the US Steel Tower downtown

1zgyd8w.jpg

Well, it isnt a hospital. Its many hospitals, doctors, doctor's offices, etc. etc. A whole system. Dont know if that makes a difference, but I thought I'd clear that up anyways.

Yes, I'm familiar with them, but again its contrary to what hospitals (in general) were organized for. Back when I was a kid, hospitals were non-profit entities that existed for altruistic purposes (i.e., healing the sick) and didn't function on profit motive. They didn't advertise, anywhere, because it was simple: if you needed to go to the hospital, you went to whichever one you wanted. That's still true today. So why the big ad blitzes?

nav-logo.png

UPMC is a non-profit group according to tax law but they are widely hated for this kind of stuff.

#1 on the list: they are putting UPMC in 20-foot letters on the US Steel Tower downtown

I thought they decided against that....then again, they put a Highmark sign on 5th Avenue Place, so I guess anything is possible.

oBIgzrL.png

Funny how the Pizza Pizza ads in Boston during the Habs/Bruins series had "Pizza Pizza" reduced to "Pizza".

Little Caesars owns the rights to "Pizza Pizza" in the U.S., hence the change

Huh. Now I kinda want to see a Habs/Wings series....

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

Yes, I'm familiar with them, but again its contrary to what hospitals (in general) were organized for. Back when I was a kid, hospitals were non-profit entities that existed for altruistic purposes (i.e., healing the sick) and didn't function on profit motive. They didn't advertise, anywhere, because it was simple: if you needed to go to the hospital, you went to whichever one you wanted. That's still true today. So why the big ad blitzes?

I used to have the same questions then my girlfriend became an RN. So I asked her why her hospital advertises all over the place. The idea behind the ads is that when you go to the hospital for planned treatments or aftercare you will choose their hospital. The ads are aimed at "consumer medicine."

BB52Big.jpg

Archived