Carolina Hurricanes Concept

elliott

Hi, again.

I'm back with another concept...for the Hurricanes I wanted something really modern...I don't know why, I do like the flag scheme, but I feel like it's not a great identity. This is one of the more modern jersey templates I've ever designed, I usually just draw the initial template on paper first, then try to fit a team to it. Somehow I landed on the Hurricanes.

The logo I tweaked a little. Here is a comparison, current on the left obviously:

HurricanesLogoComparison.gif

I feel like the silver outline just blurs the edges and is distracting. I also took out some of the slashes in the "C"s. I wasn't sure about it at first but now I like it more, personally. I guess you could say it is simplified.

As for the jerseys, the first thing you will probably notice is the amount of silver in the white jersey. Here is why:

1. I like a "whiter" jersey. See: Nashville.

2. I had to keep the pant-jersey continuity going. Yeah, continuity. I just took an AP World History exam today, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Other miscellaneous stuff:

-I made the shoulder logo's flag white on the red jersey so it would show up better.

-Yeah, the number font is new, mostly to match the more-modern jerseys.

That's about it. As always, C+C is much appreciated.

HurricanesConcept2008.gif

eh, the grey is unnecessary. Stick with white, red, and black.

Agreed... and I am not a big fan of the name plate font and number font, it seems too robotic/computerish.... doesnt really fit "Hurricanes"....

I don't like the logo design either.... the original logo was already somewhat boring and you managed to make it even more boring.... I almost think "Portland Trailblazers" in your logo. The original logo has some distracting jagged edges and outline that give it character.

The red flag is the hurricane warning flag. Changing it to white changes the meaning first off and adds a white flag to the 'Canes sweater secondly. Neither a very good change in my opinion. You also removed the silver from the crest and then made it a huge part of the color scheme. Sorry, I think the silver is over the top.

bloodshot.png

I'm not a fan of the updated logo. I always wished the Hurricanes paid homage to the Whalers and make their logo an abstract "CH" if possible (I know what you're thinking with Montreal). But in their current logo, one can sort of make out a "C". And I'm not sure how they could work in an "H".

Even if you're the Milwaukee Admirals, never use silver other than for a trim.

Fixed.

In addition to other critiques mentioned already, I don't like how you ditched the NASCAR number font. It's perfect for the Canes.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but did ya notice the flag on the home jerseys...it is white. The hurricane flag is red- that doesn't change. That is like flipping the Japanese flag to a red flag with a white dot and still get the same effect...doesn't happen.

I do like the design of the jerseys though....just not so much grey.

Here's a quick update. What do you think?

HurricanesConcept2008-2.gif

That number font still doesn't work at all for me. It feels a lot like just trying to be hyper-modern for the sake of being hyper-modern. Also, as was mentioned earlier, you can't change the flag to white. The hurricane flag is red with a black square, and changing that doesn't allow the same effect.

hflag.gif

That number font still doesn't work at all for me. It feels a lot like just trying to be hyper-modern for the sake of being hyper-modern. Also, as was mentioned earlier, you can't change the flag to white. The hurricane flag is red with a black square, and changing that doesn't allow the same effect.

hflag.gif

Two flags are to be used for a hurricane. One is a tropical storm. So the teams secondary logo is saying tropical storm. I guess it was artistic license.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I liked the original as well. The update is better but I think there is just too much white on the home. Overall its a very good concept for the Hurricanes. Still, me personally would do something about the white maybe change it to black and have the stripe across the shoulder be white but thats just me.

ryanmillersig.gif

I really like the updated set. One suggestion I have is to make the white part on the home jersey red. That would correct what I think is the biggest problem (having too much white on the home), and it would also provide more continuity to the set.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived