Kent State Concept

burgundy

This coming fall I will be attending Kent State University, so I thought I'd give them a much needed redesign. I think their current logo is way over complicated with too many little details. When I set out I was looking just to update it and simplify it, but then I went off in a whole other direction and decided to bring back a full eagle logo. For the jerseys I decided to not use the overdone shoulder bolts and went with bolts at the collar.

Kent-logos.png

kent-home.png

kent-away.png

C&C appreciated

spacer.png

that bird's head is HUGE! but seriously, it should be about half that size. and honestly, I like the secondary a lot better than the primary. I think that would look much better on the helmets.

For the jersies

That is one word you should try to spell correctly on these boards.

Sorry, I had brain fart. You could at least comment on the concept though instead just being a smart ass.

spacer.png

I have to agree with LEWJ. I was trying to think of Marquette's mascot after I saw this post for a second. I was thinking "Kent doesn't have that bird. That's Marquette's, right?" I was confused by it. I like the secondary though. The uniforms look modern to me, so I'm not the biggest fan. Also, I don't like the away and how the gold from the pants doesn't continue up onto the jersey.

that bird's head is HUGE! but seriously, it should be about half that size. and honestly, I like the secondary a lot better than the primary. I think that would look much better on the helmets.

Now that you mention it, it does look disproportioned. I'll try out the secondary on the helmets.

I like it, but I think you should use the bird head as the primary.

Also, it kinda reminds me of this

marquette_logo.gif

Yea, I thought of that after I started making the logo, but how many different ways can you show a bird flying from the side view?

I have to agree with LEWJ. I was trying to think of Marquette's mascot after I saw this post for a second. I was thinking "Kent doesn't have that bird. That's Marquette's, right?" I was confused by it. I like the secondary though. The uniforms look modern to me, so I'm not the biggest fan. Also, I don't like the away and how the gold from the pants doesn't continue up onto the jersey.

I wasn't trying to copy Marquette's mascot, or even Kent's old eagle, I was just designing a logo and it turned out that way. I'm not really a big fan of modern jerseys either, but I thought that they needed something different, so that's what I went with.

spacer.png

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking as soon as I saw it. Other than that, I think it's a pretty decent concept. I would try to work a little more white into the unis...but that's just me.

gYH2mW9.png

I like the attempt but I really love Flash as he is right now. The thing that upset me is the totally boring font they went with. When teams rebrand they generally get a unique if not exclusive font and I think the current Flash and bolt is a good look. Removing some of the tail clutter would work as well. I totally thought Marquette too when I saw this.

the logos: I hate to sound like a broken record, but the full eagle does look similar to Marquette's old eagle, and the head reminds me a bit of their new eagle.

as far as the unis, the home set looks better than the away, for the simple reason that the piping transitions far better from jersey to pants on the former. I'd do away with the side piping altogether, though, so both pants could be alternated between home and away.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Yeah, I've got to disagree that a Kent State redesign is much-needed. Their identity right now is fine if you ask me, and this isn't any kind of upgrade. I really can't get past that logo; that bird just looks too awkward, and as a whole, it doesn't work on the helmet, I don't think.

As an extremely proud alumnus of Kent State University I would have to opine that a redesign may be needed. I like the idea of a full bodied bird. That was the logo previous to the toothed bird. But the previous full bodied bird had lightning shooting out of its wing and that was crazy.

I like the scheme, but not a big fan of your logo.

Enjoy Kent State! It's a wonderful place. What are you studying?

1. the bird's head is a little big. (I know, already said.)

2. It doesn't look too much like Marquettes. If it was any other color, nobody would be mentioning it. I would keep the logo (just fix the head.)

3. The lightning-bolt chest thingies are awesome. I'm surprised nobody thought of this sooner. A great way to blend a team's identity in with a moder jersey trend.

4. The pants / jerseys should all be interchangeable (at least if you're going for a modern look, which it looks like you are.) This means that the jersey side panels should match the pants bolt color. I'm honestly not sure the best way to do this, but my first thought is to make all side panels and bolts yellow. On the yellow pants, the yellow bolt could be outlined in blue and white. That way you could wear any jersey with any pants and it would look slick.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Thanks for the responses everybody. I'm still working on getting the uniforms to match up better, and I'm trying out a cleaned up revamp of the current logo. I should have them up soon.

As an extremely proud alumnus of Kent State University I would have to opine that a redesign may be needed. I like the idea of a full bodied bird. That was the logo previous to the toothed bird. But the previous full bodied bird had lightning shooting out of its wing and that was crazy.

I like the scheme, but not a big fan of your logo.

Enjoy Kent State! It's a wonderful place. What are you studying?

Well, my idea was that instead of lightning shooting out of the wings, the wings would be lightning.

I'm looking forward to going. I'll be studying architecture.

spacer.png

I went to journalism school there in the Architecture building, Taylor Hall. Prepare for some long nights on the top floor. Journalism is now in Franklin hall and you guys have Taylor to yourself. You're going to love it.

I went to journalism school there in the Architecture building, Taylor Hall. Prepare for some long nights on the top floor. Journalism is now in Franklin hall and you guys have Taylor to yourself. You're going to love it.
For being the architecture building, I don't think Taylor Hall is all that pleasing to the eye. Many others are, but not the one that should be.

Anyway, with school ending this week (yay!), and having to finish some things for school, I took longer than expected with my concepts.

Here's the updated, more proportional eagle.

kent-logo-mod.png

Here's the updated uniforms. I decided to not go with interchangable pants.

kent-home-b.png

kent-away-b.png

And here's what I was originally going to do; cleaned and modified versions of the current logo set.

kent-logo-or.png

spacer.png

If you kent read and you kent write, well, you know (you go to Kent State). :P Seriously though, the white pinlines on everything bother me more than usual.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Hey man, I like it a lot. Real solid concept on the last version. I know people were complaining about the white pinstripes, but when it's just on the bolts on the pants I think its fine. I can see how it'd be annoying if it was overdone but I think thats about right. I like their current logo and I actually have basketball concept I did for Kent on my other computer (which is in the shop right now). So all in all: I like the logos you did, but I dont think they needed it. And I love the final version of the uniforms. By the way, I'm about to be a sophomore at Kent, we'll have to collab on a concept or something later on.

Archived