No cammo jerseys for the Reds.

Swampee

It has been reported that the Cincinnati Reds were going to wear cammo jerseys for the 4th of July. They have been talking about it on the radio and on the tv broadcasts for the last week. But here at game time, the Reds are wearing their Sunday red alts and the blue patriotic caps.

Anybody know why the switch? They are also to have a big giveaway at the Saturday and Sunday games with cammo replicas.

I'm fairly certain they've been scheduled for July 5th this whole time. That's when the griffey camo jersey giveaway is.

That's what jerseyjoe.com said in the topic I posted a few days ago.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

are the white sox still gunna do the camo?

Yeah, they wore 'em today and got throttled by Oakland, 7-1.

capt.e985e465c3df4d6d9d616f6488f9563e.atheltics_white_sox_baseball_cxs107.jpg

capt.99a450417cfa45ac8b8945a3a77451ae.atheltics_white_sox_baseball_cxs105.jpg

...Thumbs down, buddy. MLB teams using the Armed Forces as an excuse to wear camo jerseys and make a profit off of it is a joke. <_<

6uXNWAo.png

are the white sox still gunna do the camo?

Yeah, they wore 'em today and got throttled by Oakland, 7-1.

capt.e985e465c3df4d6d9d616f6488f9563e.atheltics_white_sox_baseball_cxs107.jpg

...Thumbs down, buddy. MLB teams using the Armed Forces as an excuse to wear camo jerseys and make a profit off of it is a joke. <_<

No it's not. That's capitalism. What's more American than that?

If the camo jerseys really are "patriotic" and show "support" for "the troops," then not wearing them is by definition unpatriotic and disrespectful to the troops.

The Cincinnati Reds, therefore, hate America and spit on our brave soldiers, airmen, sailors, and marines.

And why don't the White Sox wear the camo jerseys every day? Do they only love America and support the troops on certain days but not the rest of the season? Sunshine patriots and summer soldiers indeed.

20082614447.png

I think everyone is choosing to over think this. First of all, people in Iraq right now have bigger things to be offended by than a Major League Baseball team dressing in military costume. Second of all, what's with the negative connotations with a cash grab (I'm talking about every team and the patriotic hats here)? I'm thinking that's decidedly American to the core. Businesses have been profiting off of american war for as long as the United States has gone to war. Thirdly, to make a point of reason towards the line of questioning posed by Mr. Ballwonk, should the United States mark every day on the calendar as Veteran's day? Of course not, that would be ridiculous. Does that then mean that only on veterans day do people support the troops or only on that day does the United States care about its soldiers? Of course not either, that would be ridiculous as well. So why does it not also apply to businesses in this sports sense? It may be happening on July 5th, but this was a 4th of July event as it is happening on 4th of July weekend. It's part of a patriotic holiday. If it were to happen on June 3rd, say, then it would be a little outrageous. In the context of July 4th, United States, Baseball, and apple pie, I see nothing wrong with this display.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Think vintage army helmets with the team logo will ever be a big seller?

Not to give New Era any ideas or anything :P

Actually, it could work really well in Chicago....

"when White Sox fans cross the Chicago River, and into enemy territory, Cubs fans are waiting for them in the trenches by the poison ivy of Wrigley Field..... "

I saw, I came, I left.

What would really be crazy is if they made them wear those helmets into the batter's box.

Another pic from the Reds game...

capt3dafcac388634acdb2dwr7.jpg

It's interesting to note that they didn't wear the patriotic hats to go along with the camo uniforms, which seems kind of odd, but whatever.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Well, at least it's a good thing that the Reds took care not to let their flag-adorned camo jerseys touch the ground, thereby rubbing the flag in the dirt and desecrating the American flag on a patriotic holiday. Because you'd really have to hate America to take an American flag and rub it in the dirt.

capt.8dd3c5c4ca574e19bcba31306c50f345.nationals_reds_baseball_csb105.jpg

Oh, wait, never mind.

This is exactly why the U.S. Flag Code specifically bans affixing the flag to athletic uniforms.

20082614447.png

Archived