2008 MLB All-Star Game

Cujo

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So... Longoria for the final AL vote in, right?

I would hope that the AL's Final Vote winner is Longoria, as he is the most deserving of the five candidates.

Unfortunately, I feel that New York fans will stuff the ballot box and give Giambi the last spot. <_<

6uXNWAo.png

So... Longoria for the final AL vote in, right?

I would hope that the AL's Final Vote winner is Longoria, as he is the most deserving of the five candidates.

Unfortunately, I feel that New York fans will stuff the ballot box and give Giambi the last spot. <_<

Im not gonna lie, I DID, but Evan Longoria is the most deserving

Carlos Lee for the NL, Longoria for the AL.

Maybe Varitek will do the honorable thing and sit this one out clearing a spot for Longoria in the process. :D

Lidge could do the same in the NL, clearing out a spot for Valverde.

LvZYtbZ.png

Maybe Varitek will do the honorable thing and sit this one out clearing a spot for Longoria in the process. :D

LOL we could only hope. Varitek must be the worst player to ever make an All-Star team... in any sport.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

:rolleyes:
What? Valverde has more saves than Lidge does. I mean, supposedly, he's this great player, having this great season, and he's gotten, what, three saves in the past 30 days? Um, no, that's not an All-Star.

LvZYtbZ.png

What? Valverde has more saves than Lidge does.

Lidge: 1.00 ERA, 1.056 WHIP, 49K

Valverde: 4.01 ERA, 1.359 WHIP, 51K (has pitched 5 more innings)

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

What? Valverde has more saves than Lidge does. I mean, supposedly, he's this great player, having this great season, and he's gotten, what, three saves in the past 30 days? Um, no, that's not an All-Star.

True, Valverde does have 2 more saves than Lidge. (Though JV could pick up one more tonight, Houston is up 1-0 in the 4th)

Yet Valverde has a 4.01 ERA (as a closer no less). Lidge has a 1.00.

Valverde has 5 Blown Saves and Lidge has 0.

That doesn't address the fact that for as good as Lidge may be, he's only got 3 saves in the past 30 days.

LvZYtbZ.png

That doesn't address the fact that for as good as Lidge may be, he's only got 3 saves in the past 30 days.

Saves depend on the performance of the team, just like a Win-Loss record. If there are no save opportunities, than the closer obviously can't get a save. The Phillies have been hiccuping the last few weeks, thus Lidge's lack of saves.

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

I begin my argument with everything that Rays said. Mainly the statistics above. Then I say that Valverde has only 3 more saves in 6 more games than Lidge. Then I reinforce the facts that pure save numbers aren't the whole story for a closer, and they are additionally influenced by the team the closer plays on.

Then, I close with the following:

Lidge ERA+: 444

Valverde ERA+: 105

Game over.

EDIT: I also think that the Extra man has to go to Robergs because he is having a better season all around, both offensively and defensively, hands-down.

LOL we could only hope. Varitek must be the worst player to ever make an All-Star team... in any sport.

Let's not get carried away here. Varitek is having an awful season but you need to keep one thing in mind. He is easily the greatest catcher in the history of baseball as well as being on the short list of greatest athletes ever. Not to mention the fact that he's the reason the sun comes up every day. I know this because the ESPN and FOX announcers have told me so. B)

BB52Big.jpg

Varitek must be the worst player to ever make an All-Star team... in any sport.

Varitek is great with the pitchers. He can call a great game. I understand that a great game is due to a pitcher throwing the right pitches, but the ones calling the pitches and studying the batters the most is the catcher. V-Tek's called 2 no-hitters and 1 1-hitter within the last calendar year. Not too shabby. Is that enough to be deemed an All-Star? Depends. It's almost like picking a defenseman with 1 goal and 4 assists for the All-Star team due to his defensive skill. He might not be worthy, but he's All-Star caliber in other fields.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Varitek must be the worst player to ever make an All-Star team... in any sport.

Varitek is great with the pitchers. He can call a great game. I understand that a great game is due to a pitcher throwing the right pitches, but the ones calling the pitches and studying the batters the most is the catcher. V-Tek's called 2 no-hitters and 1 1-hitter within the last calendar year. Not too shabby. Is that enough to be deemed an All-Star? Depends. It's almost like picking a defenseman with 1 goal and 4 assists for the All-Star team due to his defensive skill. He might not be worthy, but he's All-Star caliber in other fields.

It would be really difficult to justify Varitek's selection due to his defensive prowess or his ability to work with pitchers. Brian Schneider is also a good defensive catcher and works well with pitchers, but he is not considered to be an all-star caliber player in the baseball universe. He would be an all0star caliber player in the defensive field, but as a whole, he is not an all-star. Varitek's offensive game has been putrid this season. My BoSox fan friend calls him "Captain Rally Killer". His .215 BA is disgusting, his OBP isn't too hot, and his Slugging is gross. Offense is a huge element of baseball, and those stats don't cut it. On many teams he would be seeing less playing time.

Yes, I will give you that he calls a good game and is a good defender, but if that is what the American League needed on the bench, why not pick Pudge Rodriguez or Ramon Hernandez? Both of whom are having better seasons at the plate than Varitek. Even John Buck. It is an insult to the other catchers in the American League that Varitek is an all-star when there are more deserving players. (Ironic though that the players' vote is the reason why Tek is in).

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

Archived