Rebranding the NHL: Dallas Stars

GFB

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So maybe my critique could have been worded better, but that does not change what I said.

I still think this guy gets good reviews solely based off his name.

Expect a design around 5 pm MDT...

Based on his name? First off, whenever I click a thread to view a concept...I totally ignore the name in most cases- I view the concept and initially get either a good or bad initial feeling about it. This one was certainly a good one. The artwork is unique and done very well. So what if it doesn't have green, this is a damn concept and he can do whatever he wanted with it- that is the whole point. What is the point in continually bashing someone over their work without pointing out hardly a thing wrong with it or giving some valid critiques...besides the rude comments you have stated?

I've got $20 bucks that says you either post nothing or something that equals the talent of my 4 year old brother.

Damn it, 'Boy--you done done it again.

You making me mad..cuz your stuff be so good! (Nah I'm playin--but seriously, this is some HOT ish you done come up with here this go-round!)

Separating the whole of the concept from the current Dallas Stars in my mind...the barbwire detail is sheer genius. Would the Stars brass have enough--er, brass--to adopt something like that full-time? Would any team have the cojones to roll out a look as unique as the one you've done here full-time? As for your "bonehead steer" logo--lovely, folk. Absolutely lovely.

Now, for my only two suggestions...

...the first involves your "Stars" wordmark. I like how you have the "TAR" vertically arched. But, for some reason, the fact that the "S's" that bookend that remain set straight kinda makes the whole of the wordnark look a little bit off to me...but only a little bt. Did you try vertically arching the whole thing or no?

The second involves the green--or lack thereof. I do agree with several that green needs to be re-instituted. One idea I have is taking the Philadelphia Eagles cop-out route and going with a much darker green--to kinda "combine" the green and the black. My other idea, and one that I think will make this whole package hecka unique, to steal a phrase from E-40, is restoring the vibrant green, yellowing the gold just a tad, and incorporating brown in place of the black. That's a combo most wouldn't ever think of packaging together, but I think that for this concept, it would work pretty daggone good.

Overall, though, homie--A+. You got a promising future ahead of you, for sure.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Nice Work! I for one really like the concept. Isn't that what a concept is for is to do something different then what they have now? I myself wouldn't mind seeing green in there as well but I do think this "concept" is unique and well put together. Again, nice work!

Because his name Ghetto Farm Boy gives him all of his glory and why he's good in his work.

That's the most lame a$$ :censored: i've ever heard. I remember when I first started when I was using paint, and all I received was good critique, people started saying, oh well, because it's AAO that's why he receives the most votes in a contest, or why he wins contests. (most of that coming from other contestants, one went as far as to cheat (remember Nick, guys?) But no. It's the design itself. And if GFB kicks' everyone elses a$$ in designing, so be it--it's not his name that earns him his praise, its his quality of work.

It's like saying, oh, people only like Michael Jordan because his name is Michael Jordan. No, he developed a reputation--if he had a bad game--people critiqued him for it. If people thought his game was subpar, they voiced their opinions--media, the fans, other NBA players.

Look jizzsoda, no one is like 'oh look GFB' his :censored:'s great', no matter what. People critique according to whether or not the concept itself is good. If you actually READ the thread, and what people post, you'll see he gets mixed opinions. In this, and the Sabres thread. Either an individual likes it, or he doesn't.

Just like when I posted, I said--the secondary is great, overall great job, why don't you work on the primary some more.

Can't wait to see the sloppa you come up with. Because 99% of the time, a new poster who walks in talking a bunch of nonsense, usually sucks.

A good designer rarely puts out bad work--but it definitely does happen. If you'll read through, you'll see that some people have said, hey GFB, your :censored:'s great, but this one's not up there. Some people feel as though it's been a miss with this and the Sabres', so be it.

So point proven. You're wrong.

Because his name Ghetto Farm Boy gives him all of his glory and why he's good in his work.

That's the most lame a$$ :censored: i've ever heard. I remember when I first started when I was using paint, and all I received was good critique, people started saying, oh well, because it's AAO that's why he receives the most votes in a contest, or why he wins contests. (most of that coming from other contestants, one went as far as to cheat (remember Nick, guys?) But no. It's the design itself. And if GFB kicks' everyone elses a$$ in designing, so be it--it's not his name that earns him his praise, its his quality of work.

It's like saying, oh, people only like Michael Jordan because his name is Michael Jordan. No, he developed a reputation--if he had a bad game--people critiqued him for it. If people thought his game was subpar, they voiced their opinions--media, the fans, other NBA players.

Look jizzsoda, no one is like 'oh look GFB' his :censored:'s great', no matter what. People critique according to whether or not the concept itself is good. If you actually READ the thread, and what people post, you'll see he gets mixed opinions. In this, and the Sabres thread. Either an individual likes it, or he doesn't.

Just like when I posted, I said--the secondary is great, overall great job, why don't you work on the primary some more.

Can't wait to see the sloppa you come up with. Because 99% of the time, a new poster who walks in talking a bunch of nonsense, usually sucks.

A good designer rarely puts out bad work--but it definitely does happen. If you'll read through, you'll see that some people have said, hey GFB, your :censored:'s great, but this one's not up there. Some people feel as though it's been a miss with this and the Sabres', so be it.

So point proven. You're wrong.

why so serious son?

I don't know Heath, why so stupid?

Lets add it up:

You come on here with 10 posts talking lotsa :censored:, then you decide to come to the conclusion that people are praising his concept just because his name is GFB. Generally, people don't do that bandwagon :censored: around these parts. Then you say you're gonna have this holy:censored: wow concept that's just gonna steal the show and make everyone jump YOUR bandwagon, seeing as how that's how you think this works.

You like the concept or you don't. Period. It ain't a clothing line, just because its a shirt that says Armani Exchange doesn't mean it's the best thing to ever happen to the clothing industry.

why so serious son?

myself and several others were able to make a criticism of Matt's work without becoming name-calling, offensive jerks. We pointed out flaws in the design that we saw, and offered out thoughts in a respectful manner.

You have failed to do this. You were mean and hostile with no reason to be.

You suck.

Sincerely,

KiNG

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

why so serious son?

myself and several others were able to make a criticism of Matt's work without becoming name-calling, offensive jerks. We pointed out flaws in the design that we saw, and offered out thoughts in a respectful manner.

You suck.

Sincerely,

KiNG

Game.

_dave_chappelle_as_prince.jpg

Blouses.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I'm not sure what it is, but I'm having a hard time really diggin' this like I do most of your other work. To be honest, I can't even put a pinpoint on what exactly isn't doing it for me. I really like the primary...a lot. The old western-style font works perfectly, and it fits well with the simplicity of the star behind it. The gray probably could be green, for tradition's purposes, but it's not bothering me as is. The alternate, although beautiful, doesn't fit right with me. I think it's just too dark and creepy for an otherwise simple and iconic look. Plus, I just don't get the correlation between steer skulls and the Dallas Stars, other than the Mooterus, of course. The tertiary is again iconic and great, although, as someone mentioned earlier, a "D" might make more sense to put on there. The uniforms aren't terrible, but I'm not at all diggin' the barbed wire. It's half because I prefer simple striping patters, and the other half because barbed wire appears nowhere else in the identity, which it shouldn't, in my opinion.

Overall, another solid concept, although I still can't think of why I can't rank this one among the top of your rebrands. It's a solid job, no doubt, but I think you've done better. Lookin' forward to your Blues rebrand, assuming that is in fact what's coming up next.

And to CreamSoda, there's no correct or incorrect opinion, but there's a correct way to give it. Bashing the work of one of the better concept-makers on here isn't exactly a good way to get a foot into the door here.

why so serious son?

You suck.

Sincerely,

KiNG

Game.

Blouses.

Post of the day. Simply for putting that quote in. Greatest Chapelle moment of all time.

I also love how creamsoda's comeback to AAO's very nice diss was "why so serious son?"

god, how creative and hurtful he is! ugh! :cry:

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

why so serious son?

You suck.

Sincerely,

KiNG

Game.

Blouses.

Post of the day. Simply for putting that quote in. Greatest Chapelle moment of all time.

I also love how creamsoda's comeback to AAO's very nice diss was "why so serious son?"

very nice diss....

haha ok buddy.

why so serious son?

You suck.

Sincerely,

KiNG

Game.

Blouses.

very nice diss....

haha ok buddy.

Your disses at GFB were much more intelligent and mature. Oh sorry, I forgot. Your screen name is the only reason your disses were good.

Glad you can walk the walk, son.

Archived