Rebranding the NHL: Dallas Stars

GFB

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for the record, I have NEVER mandated that every single person who sees my concept must drop what they're doing and make love to it... (that would just be WEIRD!)

Haha, seriously, I don't care if people hate me, my concepts, or my stupid screen name. You know what, if Cream Soda can kick my :censored: at designing, then good! The world would be that much of a better place to look at! In fact, there is another designer on icethetics who could probably kick my butt. (You guys should go check out his stuff over there, I could swear he used to post here...)

Finishing that point off, if you go read the Mississippi State rebranding thread, there are posters bashing Joe Bosak's work. So no matter what you do in this business, you'll never get 100% praise, no matter how much talent you have...

Now about this concept...

I know that the wordmark is assymetrical. It bothered me for a little while, but I eventually got past it...

I also tried a fully arched wordmark, and it looked good. But I think the straight "S's" gave the design a little bit of character...

Here are some looks at the jersey thanks to DRutka! (Thanks Dave, you rock!)

64535498gp5.jpg

61122036jk9.jpg

54452463ww0.jpg

57113247id3.jpg

Lastly, I was thinking of re-doing the concept with GREEN; how many people would like to see that?

Ok,

I must admit I was in the wrong with how I went about "critiquing" your work. For that, I apologize.

I guess my biggest deal is that I see no reason for rebranding NHL teams, especially teams with solid, well designed logos like the Stars. I understand you do put considerable time into your work and no question, they are good, well made designs.

Next time, I will offer my opinion, good or bad, in a much more respectable manner. Constructive criticism is a huge benefit in the art world, its the best way to improve upon yourself. I also understand that my comments were brash and harsh to designers across this board for my quick dismissal of his concept. For that again, I apologize.

i'd LOVE to see it in green. and changing the S-star to a D-star...

green and gold are our colors... black belongs too, if there's room... but black and green with no gold and black and gold with no green, just don't look like our team.

GFB, I like the design, but I think I would love it if it were in green. I actually like the wordmark a lot.

I guess my biggest deal is that I see no reason for rebranding NHL teams, especially teams with solid, well designed logos like the Stars. I understand you do put considerable time into your work and no question, they are good, well made designs.

The reason is really just for fun, and for practice. You try to challenge yourself by topping what teams already have, and by topping other concepts here and possibly elsewhere. You try to see what people like, and what people don't. I mean are these concepts going to be used in the NHL? Most likely not. (I, for one, would be jumping for joy if they were, but no, sadly, these won't get used.) But its still fun to try to see if you can come up with things. And its fun for people to look at them. Its kind of the whole point of the concepts board.

I would like to see green as well.

Right now I kinda think Ducks when I look at the backs of the black ones.

So I think green will fix that.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Lastly, I was thinking of re-doing the concept with GREEN; how many people would like to see that?

ME, I WOULD!

Exactly what Cole J. said, he is thinking the same way I am.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Ok,

I must admit I was in the wrong with how I went about "critiquing" your work. For that, I apologize.

Next time, I will offer my opinion, good or bad, in a much more respectable manner. Constructive criticism is a huge benefit in the art world, its the best way to improve upon yourself. I also understand that my comments were brash and harsh to designers across this board for my quick dismissal of his concept. For that again, I apologize.

You flip-flop more than John Kerry. :) j/k

But please don't give Kovalchuk a bad name. Hopefully we dont have any more incidents like this.

I still think the primary logo needs to feature a star shape more prominently, but damn those uniforms look good "in action". I think that's the area where your concepts really are on another level. It's all very well making an awesome looking design sheet, but hockey teams don't wear .png files.

I'd like to see how it'd look in green as well.

Any word on which will be the next rebranded NHL team? (Unless i missed that bit of news already).

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

• 2 weeks later...

The green version is miles better, very nice stuff. I think Cole's right about the D-star (but I disagree about the current primary, it's kinda yawn-worthy), and I could do without the half-tone-tan stripes on the green jerseys. But overall, this is quite good.

One thing on the secondary that does bug me is the triangle. I see what you're trying to do, making the star shape, but I don't think it translates well. You could leave that out completely and still have a well-done secondary logo, even if people will complain that it's a lot like Calgary's horse (which I also liked).

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived