MLS Expansion by 2011

Interesting tidbit of the MLSnet article:

TORONTO -- Major League Soccer Board of Governors approved expanding by two teams by 2011, MLS Commissioner Don Garber announced following Thursday's Board of Governors meeting in Toronto.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TORONTO -- Major League Soccer Board of Governors approved expanding by two teams by 2011, MLS Commissioner Don Garber announced following Thursday's Board of Governors meeting in Toronto.

Well that makes perfect sense.

The commish, Don Garber, was on the soccer show and prime time sports on Toronto's Fan 590 (sports station...as you can guess) and he was stressing how he wanted to see what kinda of interest the candidate cities would generate from sponsers as well as what kind of TV deals they could get.

He obviously wouldn't come right out and say it but the 4 markets he mentioned a number of times were Montreal, Vancouver, St. Louis, and Ottawa.

I can't see why he's so interested in Ottawa, they have enough trouble trying to get a CFL team back for good.

Also, Montreal's owner (Mr. Saputo) was on cbc and said that he'd move the Impact right into MLS as they are now, and just try to add a few more players to the mix. Just a side fact I found to be interesting because I don't believe that's how Seattle is doing it, or am I incorrect?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The commish, Don Garber, was on the soccer show and prime time sports on Toronto's Fan 590 (sports station...as you can guess) and he was stressing how he wanted to see what kinda of interest the candidate cities would generate from sponsers as well as what kind of TV deals they could get.

He obviously wouldn't come right out and say it but the 4 markets he mentioned a number of times were Montreal, Vancouver, St. Louis, and Ottawa.

I can't see why he's so interested in Ottawa, they have enough trouble trying to get a CFL team back for good.

Also, Montreal's owner (Mr. Saputo) was on cbc and said that he'd move the Impact right into MLS as they are now, and just try to add a few more players to the mix. Just a side fact I found to be interesting because I don't believe that's how Seattle is doing it, or am I incorrect?

I guess it all depends who the owners are. If the Saputo family ends up with the MLS right for Montreal, you can be sure that they'll take the best elements from the current Impact team and get others to fill up the vacant spots on the roster.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

I guess it all depends who the owners are. If the Saputo family ends up with the MLS right for Montreal, you can be sure that they'll take the best elements from the current Impact team and get others to fill up the vacant spots on the roster.

Good point. If the MLS does go to Montreal, I don't think there would be any other owner. He owns the stadium too, so on the off chance another owner comes in I can see him blocking use of his stadium out of spite.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I believe Sébastien Le Toux will be on the Seattle Sounders FC in the MLS, I thought that meant that they would move them all over to the MLS side.

I believe Sébastien Le Toux will be on the Seattle Sounders FC in the MLS, I thought that meant that they would move them all over to the MLS side.

As far as I understand the USL 1st division Sounders aren't just graduating up to the MLS. They are 2 different teams with 2 different ownership groups (or owners).

What Mr. Saputo was saying is he'd literally just move the Impact from USL 1st division to the MLS.

As far as I understand the USL 1st division Sounders aren't just graduating up to the MLS. They are 2 different teams with 2 different ownership groups (or owners).

What Mr. Saputo was saying is he'd literally just move the Impact from USL 1st division to the MLS.

I take it he's keen on getting slapped around the pitch all season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hey, they're going to be in the CONCACAF Champions League this year, thanks to winning the Canadian Championship over Vancouver and Toronto.

As for Seattle, their current ownership is involved with the new team, but isn't the heavy financial muscle. But they are considered two separate entities. (Which will make things very interesting for the 09-10 CCL should the current Sounders win the US Open Cup this year.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

They beat and tied TFC in their 2 games this season.

Not that TFC is the highest standard to be compaired to (as much as I wish they were).

I bet they could win a few games.

Hey, they're going to be in the CONCACAF Champions League this year, thanks to winning the Canadian Championship over Vancouver and Toronto.

As for Seattle, their current ownership is involved with the new team, but isn't the heavy financial muscle. But they are considered two separate entities. (Which will make things very interesting for the 09-10 CCL should the current Sounders win the US Open Cup this year.)

That I didn't know, thanks for the info.

Boy would I love to see that! Seattle Sounders -vs- Seattle Sounders FC!

Archived