Let the Name Game Begin

Panthers

I'm hoping for the New York Groove. Instant team song - thank you, Ace Frehley!

Nah, it's got to be the "New York State of Mind".

Then, when the team moves to Allentown . . .

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The miscalculation I think these rival outdoor leagues keep making is they think (or at least say publicly) that the football fan base is so big it can support another pro league. Problem is, we do have two pro leagues. NFL and BCS Football. BCS players may not be considered "professionals" but come on, go to an Ohio State, LSU, etc. game, the entire game presentation/management is a professional production. The diehard Alabama fan considers the Tide a pro team in every sense of what following a pro team means.

With all that said. Seeing football games played in baseball stadiums is fun. So Lets hope that happens. The league has more opportunities now than the XFL did with so many more MLS teams having stadiums. Even if they don't play there, it provides leverage when negotiating leases.

i made a fake league one time, and some of the cities they are planning i used

but i did the LA shockwave, connecticut crush, Salt Lake Nemisis, orlando rage, and Las Vegas Outlaws(yes thats right, 2 teams from the XFL!!)

they should think about San Antonio, because they have the alamo dome

Shreveport has a stadium too

so does portland, and memphis

i think this will go the way of the USFL, competes for a year, then gets blown out of the water

and did the AAFL ever start up? theyve had a draft, and wasnt sure

they used all the non NFL players tha graduated college(like Chris Leak of Florida)

The AAFL suspended operations in hopes of launching next year. Don't hold your breath. If you'd seen their uniforms and logos(not to mention their policy of paying college graduates a fraction of what they could make elsewhere), you'd have laughed at them, too.

Sigs are for sissies.

I doubt it. This is America, not Europe. Americans, for the most part, don't like soccer. I know I'd go to a little-league football game over Major League Soccer any day of the week.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Sigs are for sissies.

I doubt it. This is America, not Europe. Americans, for the most part, don't like soccer. I know I'd go to a little-league football game over Major League Soccer any day of the week.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Sorry, but I think you're wrong. With the hispanic population in Los Angeles both those soccer teams draw pretty well. I can't see a start up football league outdrawing already established clubs who play in a nice stadium. Americans, for the most part, are changing their ways about soccer. Not saying I'm a fan, but I've noticed alot more soccer interest over the last few years, especially from people in my demographic.

PvO6ZWJ.png

* First of all, according to the New York Daily News, "Fred and Jeff Wilpon met with officials from the start-up United Football League... but the Mets' owners have decided to pass on owning a New York franchise and have it use CitiField, according to team insiders." The Daily News goes on to report that, "A Mets official suggested the dimensions of CitiField would allow for pro football, but they (the Mets) weren't interested in compromising the Mets' field conditions...".

* Northland Investment Corporation - the Newton, Massachusetts-based firm that is the largest private land-owner and developer in downtown Hartford - is partners with AEG in managing XL Center for the City of Hartford and Rentschler Field for the State of Connecticut. Northland CEO Larry Gottesdiener has long talked of bringing major pro sports back to Hartford. He wants to build a replacement facility for the XL Center that would target a National Hockey League franchise as primary tenant. Along with AEG, he sought to bring a Major League Soccer team to Rentschler, only to be told by MLS officials that Bob Kraft's New England Revolution controlled the territory. Now, Northland Investment Corporation is apparently discussing the acquisition of a UFL franchise with league officials.

That said, Northland spokesperson Chuck Coursey has told the Hartford Courant that when it comes to Northland's "potential involvement in the UFL" that "it is not certain whether the franchise will be Hartford based and that it is entirely premature to state that the team will be playing at Rentschler Field."

Bottom line? It seems to me that UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue just can't resist flapping his gums about prospective UFL owners, markets and stadiums, often making it seem as if deals are in place and contracts are about to be signed, sealed and delivered. That said, it strikes me that Huyghue is engaged in the practice of "sending up smoke signals" about largely theoretical prospective owners and teams in the hope that the talk will generate some real interest amongst potential investors.

Bottom line? It seems to me that UFL Commissioner Michael Huyghue just can't resist flapping his gums about prospective UFL owners, markets and stadiums, often making it seem as if deals are in place and contracts are about to be signed, sealed and delivered. That said, it strikes me that Huyghue is engaged in the practice of "sending up smoke signals" about largely theoretical prospective owners and teams in the hope that the talk will generate some real interest amongst potential investors.

Seems like a bad idea, if a couple minutes on Google reveal his talk to be just that.

What, does he think investors don't actually do any research before writing checks?

Sorry, but I think you're wrong. With the hispanic population in Los Angeles both those soccer teams draw pretty well.

Both? That depends upon what you mean by "draw pretty well".

This season, Chivas USA is averaging just 14,286 fans per match at the 27,000-seat Home Depot Center. That's just 53% of the stadium's capacity. They rank 11th out of 14 MLS teams in average attendance. Only Colorado, Columbus and Kansas City are drawing fewer fans per match. Last year, Chivas USA averaged 14,305 fans per match (53%), ranking them 12th out of 13 MLS teams in average attendance. Only Kansas City was worse.

Bottom line? The "new" factor has worn off for Chivas USA. The team's average attendance has plummeted since the heady days of 2005 and 2006 when the team averaged 17,080 (63%) and 19,840 (73%) fans per match, respectively. in 2006 (73%) and 17,080 (63%) in 2005.

If Mark Cuban is a part of it, I'm shocked there isn't a team in Dallas.

Why? Does Cuban have any ties to Dallas at all other than owning the Mavs?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The miscalculation I think these rival outdoor leagues keep making is they think (or at least say publicly) that the football fan base is so big it can support another pro league.

No, that's not the miscalculation. The miscalculation, which is made on literally every front you can think of, is that a second pro league should be compared to the NFL in all respects from Day One.

The fans make that assumption in terms of the quality of play. While this can be somewhat alleviated by a new league through playing a series of six pre-season games before the regular season begins (look at the latter-half XFL product on the field compared to the first 3-4 weeks of its season and you'll find a much better overall game), start-up leagues invariably and inexplicably go the opposite route - having no preseason games and just starting their inaugural season. The fans tune in or go to a game, see a :censored: product on the field, and don't come back.

The owners make that assumption in terms of finance. There hasn't been one yet that fully comprehends that in order to be successful, they have to be looking as much as 20 years ahead rather than 3 or 5. The NFL itself took nearly half a century to be truly profitable as a business venture, and there's no reason to believe that a second league would - or should - break even within 5 years of its launch.

The pundits on television make that assumption, drawing immediate comparisons to the NFL before so much as a player gets signed to a contract, before a ball gets kicked off. Again look at the XFL example - it was lampooned long before its launch primarily due to Vince McMahon's involvement, but had anyone else been at the helm it wouldn't have received nearly the ridicule it got. The USFL also drew immediate comparisons by signing Herschel Walker and the like, and as a result fell victim to the buzz created around it - accelerating everyone's expectations too far, too fast.

A second pro league in America CAN make it - but only under the right set of circumstances. It has to have realistic expectations in terms of gate (15,000 or so per home game), it has to have an absolute cap on expenses during its first five years, it has to strive toward acquiring top-flight collegiate talent (in the process leaving the NFL to look for talent), it has to secure a deal with a television partner(s) that not only gives it proper exposure but which also provides a much-needed revenue stream no matter what else transpires (the XFL made the mistake of allowing opt-outs after its first year), and finally but perhaps most importantly, it would need an ownership group much like that of Major League Soccer: one that understands that the pennies they spend today won't come back as dimes tomorrow, but may come back as quarters or even dollars way down the road.

nav-logo.png

Sorry, but I think you're wrong. With the hispanic population in Los Angeles both those soccer teams draw pretty well.

This season, Chivas USA is averaging just 14,286 fans per match at the 27,000-seat Home Depot Center. That's just 53% of the stadium's capacity. They rank 11th out of 14 MLS teams in average attendance. Only Colorado, Columbus and Kansas City are drawing fewer fans per match. Last year, Chivas USA averaged 14,305 fans per match (53%), ranking them 12th out of 13 MLS teams in average attendance. Only Kansas City was worse.

Bottom line? The "new" factor has worn off for Chivas USA. The team's average attendance has plummeted since the heady days of 2005 and 2006 when the team averaged 17,080 (63%) and 19,840 (73%) fans per match, respectively. in 2006 (73%) and 17,080 (63%) in 2005.

14,000+ fans actually show up for an MLS game? Is that tickets sold or gate attendance?

That's a shame for Colorado...they built that big complex for the Rapids...I'm sure they had expected better support than this.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Thats just Chivas(LA's second team)

What are the Galaxy's Numbers?

A second pro league in America CAN make it - but only under the right set of circumstances. It has to have realistic expectations in terms of gate (15,000 or so per home game), it has to have an absolute cap on expenses during its first five years, it has to strive toward acquiring top-flight collegiate talent (in the process leaving the NFL to look for talent), it has to secure a deal with a television partner(s) that not only gives it proper exposure but which also provides a much-needed revenue stream no matter what else transpires (the XFL made the mistake of allowing opt-outs after its first year), and finally but perhaps most importantly, it would need an ownership group much like that of Major League Soccer: one that understands that the pennies they spend today won't come back as dimes tomorrow, but may come back as quarters or even dollars way down the road.

I've long believed that a spring-time NFL-owned development league, similar in structure to the NBDL, would be a fascinating idea. Basically, it would be NFL Europe but done domestically in mid-sized markets. I'm talking Portland, Albuquerque, Hartford, Oklahoma City, Memphis, whatever.

I'm not any kind of financing expert to know whether that's a crazy idea or not, especially since NFL Europe has now folded, but I've always thought the idea sounded fun.

I've long believed that a spring-time NFL-owned development league, similar in structure to the NBDL, would be a fascinating idea. Basically, it would be NFL Europe but done domestically in mid-sized markets. I'm talking Portland, Albuquerque, Hartford, Oklahoma City, Memphis, whatever.

I'm not any kind of financing expert to know whether that's a crazy idea or not, especially since NFL Europe has now folded, but I've always thought the idea sounded fun.

I'd go for that, I feel like I'm the only person who wants to see this league be successful, but I also don't think it has any hope at the moment. I'll stick with the NFL & Arena if needed.

baltimoreravens.png

Archived