Let the Name Game Begin

Panthers

Looks like the UFL is on for next summer. Mark Cuban is to own the New York team and it will play at Citi Field, home of the mets. The other franchises so far: SF, LA, Las Vegas, Orlando and Hartford, where they'll play at UConn's field. They may add Columbus and Salt Lake City. Here's hoping that if they are around long enough to place teams in Germany, the Frankfurt Galaxy and the Rhein Fire come back, but knowing the NFL that'll never happen.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Columbus nickname and marketing campaign will surely use something like: The Columbus Buckeyes 2, The Columbus Scarlet and Grays, The Ohio Nuts, or The Columbus Ohio State-Fan Panderers.

PvO6ZWJ.png

*sigh* Another league, another waste of our time. It won't see the light of day and if it does, it won't last more than a year. The NFL is the only league and will always be the only outdoor pro football league in the United States, the AFL succeeded enough to be taken in by the NFL and the USFL would've worked if not for stupid owners who wanted to move it to the fall and compete directly against the NFL. Mark Cuban needs to take his ego and his money and just go away as he's just your spoiled rich kid who has too much time and money and just wastes it on frivolous things (Dallas Mavericks and their weak inside game, bidding on the Cubs and now some failed football league).

Columbus Explorers

Connecticut Crusaders

Las Vegas Venom

Las Vegas Vipers

Las Vegas Sidewinders

Los Angeles Condors

Los Angeles Guardians

Los Angeles Quakes

New York Centaurs

New York Mammoths

New York Monarchs

Orlando Dragons

Orlando Juice

Orlando Rampage

Salt Lake Sting

Salt Lake Swarm

San Francisco Corsairs

San Francisco Quakes

San Francisco Shocks

Also, I wouldn't bet on a Hartford-based team playing in Rentschler Field to be a slam-dunk to happen.

The State of Connecticut poured a considerable amount of money into UConn's football program in order to bring it up to the Division 1 Footbowl Bowl Subdivision (Div. 1-A) level. In fact, construction of Rentschler Field was part of that effort. The Huskies are just beginning to find their footing at the Division 1-A level in football. I can't imagine that they're going to be thrilled at the prospect of sharing a smaller marketplace - let alone their stadium - with a new pro football team. After all, there are only so many fans and corporate dollars to go around. It will be very interesting to see how amenable the owner of Rentschler Field (the State of Connecticut) is to allowing half of the partnership (Northland Investment Corporation of Northland AEG) that manages the facility for them to bring a pro football team to the stadium to compete with UConn, Rentschler's primary tenant.

This league's ability to last beyond a season could have a great deal to do with how things develop between the NFL and the NFL Players Association regarding negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement for 2011 and beyond. If negotiations between the latter two entities are particularly acrimonious and lead to the NFL locking-out the players, the UFL could offer itself up as a place where former NFL athletes could ply there trade.

Of course, the UFL will have to successfully launch an inaugural season in 2009 in order to be in a position to take advantage of an NFL work stoppage beyond that point in time. Only time will tell if that eventuality takes place.

Columbus Aviators/Colts (old name from the old UFL)/Foxes/Mounds/

Hartford MoosePioneers

Las Vegas Gamblers/Cowboys/Heat/Pilots (Nellis Air Force Base)

Los Angeles Diablos/Quakes/Stars/Suns/Toros

New York Empire :( (sadly it works)/Freedom/Mariners/Skyscrapers or Skyline

Orlando Ducks/Jays/Orange

San Francisco Fog/Gold Miners or Miners/Quakes/Rush/Sharks

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

For what it's worth, Peter King says that the Wilpon Family (they own the Mets) will own the NY team which explains why they'll use Citi Field:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ml?eref=writers

But it's still shocking that they'd let a football team chew up the turf at their new place.

For the name, I liked when they used Queens Kings for the minor league team when they played at St. John's before they moved to Brooklyn and became the Cyclones. But I doubt they'll go with it since they'll want to market the team as New York.

They can use my favorite rejected Mets name, the NY Burros.

(1) I'll believe the UFL is on when they inflate a football and kick it off.

(2) I don't understand the shock at using the new NY stadium. Mets games aren't sacrosanct, grass is replaceable, and they need to use the place for something.

(3) Huyghue's welcome in NFL camps because the UFL poses no threat to the NFL whatsoever. Had it actually launched when originally planned however, they'd shut him out completely.

(4) Hartford as a UFL city over a number of other locations demonstrates that they have an owner there who they aren't disclosing yet - one with bucks, but also one with no brains.

(5) Six franchises won't be enough to hold interest even for a first season. A new pro league needs to be in at least ten markets in my opinion to have any real shot; for some reason people won't take it seriously otherwise.

nav-logo.png

Checking out their website www.ufl2008.com, they're taking bids on tickets, and whichever cities post the most amount of reserved tickets will win a franchise? I guess is how it works.

On another note, USA Today has an article stating that there is a "98% chance" that Michael Vick would play in the UFL (when released from prison...and if the league ever gets going) http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2008/08/v...and-the-uf.html

Seems like one of the biggest factors affecting the success of a new league is legitimization from places like ESPN. The XFL was basically laughed off of television and never really given a fair shot as a real sports league (and it didn't at all help that Vince McMahon was putting cameras in cheerleader locker rooms and screaming XXXXXX.................FFFFFFFFFFFFF.............LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

LLL at kickoff). But if ESPN decides to laugh off the UFL like it did the last new outdoor football league to start up, it's got no chance. No chance at all.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived