Tribe Wearing 1948 Throw Backs Today (8-16-08)

Burning River

Today against the Angels, the Indians are wearing 1948 Uniforms. It can be seen on FOX. I like them. I like the "I" a bit more in the current mark. This old "I" is too much like a "J" or... something. Neither are perfect by any means. You would think there was a more legible "I" out there.

Tribe1948.jpgTribe1948Cap.jpg

Oh ok, but why is it the same shape as the Reds logo ? ...Looks like the Indians old ''C'' as well !

It's also the same as an old Cubs hate.

And you'll notice the Chicago Bears use it too.

It's called the Wishbone C (I'd venture that each team has a slight variation on proportions on it--I know the Reds and the Bears aren't exactly the same).

Why do so many teams have it? It just stems from being such an old design. Teams were less strict about protecting designs and I'd also venture that the Wishbone C was common place in other industries too. It probably wasn't viewed too much differently than we would view it if more than one team used a Block C as their logo (we see that in college sports actually).

Ok now I've had enough, please explain why 3 teams have the same ''C'' logo ? The Reds, The Twins and the Indians !

I'm mainly a hockey guy but I watch the baseball highlights every morning and I never could figure out why the Twins have the Reds logo in their logo !

...Be kind with me :P

don't forget, the cubbies wore it too :)

nl_1916_chicago.gif

nl_1925_chicago.gif

nl_1930_chicago.gif

-edit- bah. stl beat me to it. that's what i get for foruming at work.

I think what makes them "incorrect" is that the red"C" that they wore yesterday has a white outline. I think it should be red "C" on blue.

To me.. that is not a good look for Chief Wahoo. I know people complain of the "red face" now... but that rendering is pretty bad IMHO. As I've stated before, I wouldn't mind seeing a Chicago Blackhawks or Washington Redskins type of design.

Today against the Angels, the Indians are wearing 1948 Uniforms. It can be seen on FOX. I like them. I like the "I" a bit more in the current mark. This old "I" is too much like a "J" or... something. Neither are perfect by any means. You would think there was a more legible "I" out there.

I'm not a fan of the current "I" at all, but it's an "I". You're pretty limited with what you can do with it.

I do like the throwbacks, but that particular Chief Wahoo makes me cringe. I fear if I like it, an activist is going to come and protest in front of my house.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I think what makes them "incorrect" is that the red"C" that they wore yesterday has a white outline. I think it should be red "C" on blue.

Which would make that the exact same incorrect hat worn by the Cubs earlier this season in their throwback game against the Braves. So for all those who were wondering why the Cubs hat was navy when the rest of the uniform was (correctly) royal blue, there's your answer: Someone didn't want to be bothered with making two different hats for two separate throwback events, preferring to use a single "eh, close enough" model for both.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Oh ok, but why is it the same shape as the Reds logo ? ...Looks like the Indians old ''C'' as well !

It's also the same as an old Cubs hat.

It's called the Wishbone C

The Arizona Cardinals used it way back in time when they were in Chicago as well.

The Arizona Cardinals used it way back in time when they were in Chicago as well.

And it all stems back to the University of Chicago where the wishbone C originates and is still in use today. The Cardinals took their name from the fact that the team's original owner bought the University's old faded maroon uniforms and called them cardinal red rather than maroon. He eventually took the Maroons' C logo as well and the rest is history.

And it all stems back to the University of Chicago where the wishbone C originates and is still in use today. The Cardinals took their name from the fact that the team's original owner bought the University's old faded maroon uniforms and called them cardinal red rather than maroon. He eventually took the Maroons' C logo as well and the rest is history.

You beat me to it.

The U of Chicago brought back on the helmet when they brought back football (On the D-III Level.)

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

Archived