Your First Pro Games

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MLB: I think it was 1983 at Anaheim Stadium and I know it was cap night vs. Baltimore. I looked it up and the Angels lost 3-1 on April 23rd. I'm guessing on the year, but that sounds right. For the Dodgers it was 1988 vs. Atlanta and Orel Hershiser pitched and won 1-0 on September 14th, part of his scoreless streak. Mike Marshall drove in the only run in the bottom of the 9th.

NFL: I know I went to a preseason game, I think it was 1990 or maybe it was later like '92, Rams vs. Chargers, but I have no clue who won. I did go to the October 13th game, Rams vs. Chargers on my birthday. Rams won 30-24.

NHL: February 28, 1990 Edmonton Oilers vs. LA Kings. Over 300 PIMs, Thomas Sandstrom got his cheek broken from a sucker punch. Second period suspended, all out brawl goalies included. Kings won.

This is one of those threads where everybody posts and nobody reads... I dig

NHL: Quebec Nordiques at Toronto Maple Leafs pre-season; Sept. 1990

(first reg. season - Carolina Hurricanes at Florida Panthers; Jan. 1, 1999)

AHL: St. John's Maple Leafs at Toronto Roadrunners; Feb. 2004

OHL: Toronto Marlboros at Cornwall Royals; Mar. 1989

AL: Texas Rangers at Toronto Blue Jays; April 12, 1990

NL: Houston Astros at Montreal Expos; August 1991

Spring: Detroit Tigers vs Toronto Blue Jays; Feb 29, 2008

AAA: Charlotte Knights at Syracuse Chiefs; June 2007

AA: Trenton Thunder at Erie Seawolves; June 2007

NBA: Chicago Bulls at Toronto Raptors; Jan 18, 1996

NFL: T.B.D.

CFL: Calgary Stampeders at Toronto Argonauts; Sept. 1989

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

NBA: Chicago Bulls at Toronto Raptors; Jan 18, 1996

Wasn't that the game where the Raptors, a first-year team, beat the Bulls, who would go on to win 70 games?

Nope, that was the OTHER bulls @ raptors game that season, in march... missed it by 3 months

The Raps did only lose by 3 in the one I went to, almost beat 'em twice that year... blame Oliver Miller going for a three at the buzzer.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

My first pro games

1983 Blue Jays @ Red Sox it was like the second game of the season high scoring game won by the Sox

First Mets game for the record

1985 April 12th I believe Mets beat Reds 1-0 Gary Carter hit a HR, and Pete Rose got three hits.

First NHL game was just a few years ago

2005 Devils vs Capitals 11/12/05 Devils won 3-2

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

MLB: What little I remember (being 7 at the time) helps me narrow it down to May 20, 1994... Rockies vs. Braves -- my memory of the game is foggy, but Armando Reynoso was the pitcher, and I remember this for two reasons. First, because I thought he looked an awful like the Pirates logo on my MLB bed sheets and second because he threw his arm out, which I, being so young at the time, mistook for throwing his arm off. I do specifically remember it being the Braves, and that was the last game he pitched that season... hence my guess.

Though, now that I think of it, I attended a Denver Zephyrs game before that Rockies game. All I really remember is cheering for the opponents because I liked their color (red) more than the Zephyrs' green.

NFL: Oct 9 2006, Broncos vs. Ravens, Monday Night Football, about 25 rows back. A mix of rain and snow, and a low-scoring affair... 13-3 Broncos, with the lone TD coming late in the 4th. A night I will always look back on fondly.

NHL: Avalanche vs. Blues. Don't remember when exactly, or who won, but we were really high up and it was still a blast.

NBA: A Nuggets vs. Raptors game at some point. I have almost no memory of it.

My first NBA Playoff game, however, I remember vividly. Game 3 against the Timberwolves the year the Nuggets made the playoffs for the first time in ten or so years. Blew the T-Wolves out. The game was out of hand by halftime. One of the best nights of my sports watching life... I'll always remember how loud the "Let's go Nuggets!" chants were in the concourse after the game.

IUe6Hvh.png

This is one of those threads where everybody posts and nobody reads... I dig

Other boards call it "Listmania" and sometimes, it's okay.

But I did learn that Hedley saw Oil Can Boyd live and in person, and that's not bad.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

NFL:

Chicago Bears vs. Baltimore Colts - 9/4/82 (the final pre-season game of that year)

NBA:

Chicago Bulls vs. Kansas City Kings - 4/12/83

MLB:

Chicago Cubs vs. ? - 1983

NHL:

Chicago Blackhawks vs. San Jose Sharks - 3/10/92 (Anyone remember Ray LeBlanc? He was the goaile on the 1992 US Olympic team that went undefeated in the round-robin part of the games, but the team ran out of steam in the medal round, and finished 4th - anyway, he was 'Hawks property, and started this game. I had the tickets long in advance, and this turned into a huge deal, as folks were scalping tickets outside Chicago Stadium)

Moose

NCAAF: Mississippi State's 1998 Homecoming game.

That was your first PRO game, huh? :P

As for my firsts...

NFL: 49ers at Cardinals - 2002

MLB: Cubs at Diamondbacks - 1999

That is all.

6uXNWAo.png

NHL: Washington Captials @ New York Islanders 3/2/94

MLB: Houston Astros @ New York Mets some time in August 99

NFL: Well I did go to Jets training camp

NCAA Basketball: I gotta go to a Hofstra game sometime this year, if not then my first will be next year at either Syracuse or Albany (depending where I attend)

NCAA Lacrosse: Princeton @ Hofstra 3/18/07

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

NCAAF: Mississippi State's 1998 Homecoming game.

That was your first PRO game, huh? :P

SEC football players do get paid.....

And since others have mentioned it:

College football: Western Carolina @ Georgia Tech in 1994: Tech won 45-26. It was Tech's only win that season. Someone gave my dad free tickets to that game.

The first UGA game I went to was Georgia @ Georgia Tech in 1997, when Corey Allen caught a last-minute touchdown to put UGA ahead 27-24. It was a cold, rainy day that Saturday.

The first UGA home game I went to was last season: Oklahoma State came to town and lost 35-14.

UGA "postseason": The 2002 SEC Championship, when Georgia beat the crap out of Arkansas 30-3.

Wow...how old am I? Old enough that my first pro game was the last one of the Saints' 1969 season...the last game...but it was week 14 back then, and none of the players had names on the backs of their jerseys. :wacko:

And my first pro basketball game involved the New Orleans Buccaneers. Yep, the ABA.

NFL: Saints won 27-24 in Tulane Stadium. It was Doug Atkins' last game, and what I remember best was how a bench-clearing brawl broke out in the 4th quarter. Atkins ended up slugging a Steeler...it was a lineman with a cage face mask and Big Doug's blow crushed it, totally deformed it to where it went back into the guy's face and bloodied it. Unbelievable. Then, as Saints WR Danny Abramowicz was standing on tiptoe at the edge of the fight trying to see what was going on, a Steeler ran up and kicked him right in the ass. Good times.

ABA: Don't have a clue who the Bucs played or whether they won. All I remember is that it was at the University of New Orleans field house out by the Lakefront.

NBA: Piiiiiiiiiissssstollll Pete! Saw Pete Maravich and the then-New Orleans Jazz sometime in the mid-70's. Don't know who they played or the outcome.

MLB: The Cardinals against somebody (Royals?) in an exhibition game in the Superdome. Would have been in the late 70's I think.

NHL: Dallas Stars vs. somebody in Dallas around 2000 (it was the year they won the Stanley Cup).

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

NFL: Minnesota Vikings @ Pittsburgh Steelers September 24, 1995. Vikings 44-24. This was the infamous game where Robert smith broke a 60 yarder with one shoe and where Pittsburgh was penalized for too many men and Bill Cowher shoved a picture of that play in the refs shirt pocket.

MLB: Marlins @ Phillies June 20th 1993. Phillies 4-3! Charlie Hough vs. Tommy Greene. Trever Hoffman blew a save.

NHL : Islanders @ Devils December 1, 2000 Tie 0-0

NCAA: Michigan @ Penn State dont know the exact date Michigan won 19-0

29.gif

Archived