MTSU Blackout Night

U of Hawaii Warriors 3

MTSU's first nationally televised home game ever is tomorrow night on ESPN2 and it is being dubbed a "blackout" game, we are playing Florida Atlantic and it is rumored that MT may be sporting Black jerseys for the occasion... there is even a banner on the MTSU website featuring what may be a a predominantly black jersey...

58308212py2.th.jpgthpix.gif

uofh2aa1.pnghawaiinokaoieu8.png

461177213572il8.png801177214515jw7.png

My favorite saying... "Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, so therefore i am perfect!!!"

Blue Raiders in the national spotlight! I suppose next thig you're going to tell me is that College Gameday is going to take up residence on the Vandy campus in the next county up I-24!

Middle Tennessee has been on an ESPN channel before, when they hosted Louisville at the Titans' home field. The big difference I suppose is getting to say, "Welcome to Murfreesboro!"

So these Raiders will wear black at home more recently than the Oakland variety? Strange events, indeed.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Since when was black a color for MTSU?

I know,it irritates the s*** out of me when teams whose color aren't black,wear black just for the sake of wearing it.

Case in point Tennessee St. over the weekend vs Florida A&M

tsublack.jpg

Wow....those FAMU unis are just about the ugliest things ive ever seen....besides the new OKC Thunder logos. But anyways, TSU actually looks kinda nice in black, and i dont think MTSU would look too bad either. I'm kinda excited actually to see what they do with it. And my two cents on the who uneccesary black uni thing is that, if you have minimal black or so, then go for it. But if it isnt one of your colors at all, then please dont. MTSU has a little bit of black so i dont mind. Its just that if a team like say, Alabama tried it, when they have no black whatsoever. Then i think its crossing the line. Thats just my opinion.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Um, if I was Middle Wherever you are located (Tennessee), I might want to burn the black jerseys and put out a bulletin that it is not a "Blackout" Night. Look at what happened to the last team that tried this! Burn the jerseys and the idea now before it's too late!

Technically, Black ISN'T a color for MTSU. The "little bit" use is just a color creep, mainly in basketball and on the "oh no, how do we put a blue logo on a blue jersey" color screwup when Reebok did our jerseys a few years back. (They put the logo in black and white in a chest patch for some unknown reason.)

The only actual black that should officially be in our color scheme is used in our logo. The official colors are Royal Blue (listed as PMS 301), White, and Silver ("Gray," PMS 428).

Pantone/ColorWerx should be able to back me up on this...and SSUR doesn't mention black at all for MT, though the swatches haven't been updated.

The thing that bugs me the most about this is that in the first ever nationally televised game in our home stadium's history, following a win over Maryland and a near-upset of Kentucky (on the road, no less), with the biggest chance since our 2006 bowl game to brand our program on a national level...the BLUE Raiders will be wearing BLACK.

The Oakland Raiders don't wear gold. The Boston Celtics don't wear red.

The Detroit Red Wings don't wear black.

When you're establishing a visual identity, you don't need to waiver. Especially if it's in your name. The Duke Blue Devils catch a ton of hell from us for any inclusion of black. The Texas Tech Red Raiders wear more black than red...which should be a problem.

But much of the sports world's first look at the Blue Raiders will be not wearing blue. Or even white. And at home. Way to drop the ball, Middle. I love 'em, but they need a Marketing exec to actually...well...do some real work?

Also doesn't help that I saw a kid wearing a shirt in Target from the upcoming "Blackout Game" of a local, rural high school. I just looked...it's on October 3rd...and they have an enrollment of 302. I don't know if it's proof we're "making an impact on our community"...or just a testament to the league our thought processes are in.

I'll be cheering us on, always. But as usual, I don't think it will be pretty--aesthetically, promotionally, or on field.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Technically, Black ISN'T a color for MTSU. The "little bit" use is just a color creep, mainly in basketball and on the "oh no, how do we put a blue logo on a blue jersey" color screwup when Reebok did our jerseys a few years back. (They put the logo in black and white in a chest patch for some unknown reason.)

The only actual black that should officially be in our color scheme is used in our logo. The official colors are Royal Blue (listed as PMS 301), White, and Silver ("Gray," PMS 428).

Pantone/ColorWerx should be able to back me up on this...and SSUR doesn't mention black at all for MT, though the swatches haven't been updated.

Here's what I have for MTSU...they're one of those schools that use a different set of colors for their "institutional" vs. athletic colors:

MiddleTennesseeStateU_INS_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

MiddleTennesseeStateU_ATH_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

There IS a bit of Black in the athletic logos, so I'm guessing that is where the justification comes in.

I've always thought that if you're going to come down on schools infusing Black into a color scheme when it isn't part of a color scheme, then why does Ohio State get a free pass? And, don't give me that "tradition" pat answer either...

:P

I am kinda partial to black jerseys and uniforms because i am a long time university of hawaii fan, so i am interested in seeing if my school can pull it off as well as the UH, i will be in attendance tonight in Murfreesboro and will have my camera with me and will post pictures later.

GO RAIDERS GO!

My favorite saying... "Nobody is perfect, I am nobody, so therefore i am perfect!!!"

I am kinda partial to black jerseys and uniforms because i am a long time university of hawaii fan, so i am interested in seeing if my school can pull it off as well as the UH, i will be in attendance tonight in Murfreesboro and will have my camera with me and will post pictures later.

GO RAIDERS GO!

I'm glad you just mentioned that...because since opening this thread and reading the first post I've been busting my brain up about the correlation between your username and "your school"...thanks for clarifying that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The thing that bugs me the most about this is that in the first ever nationally televised game in our home stadium's history, following a win over Maryland and a near-upset of Kentucky (on the road, no less), with the biggest chance since our 2006 bowl game to brand our program on a national level...the BLUE Raiders will be wearing BLACK.

The Oakland Raiders don't wear gold. The Boston Celtics don't wear red.

The Detroit Red Wings don't wear black.

When you're establishing a visual identity, you don't need to waiver. Especially if it's in your name. The Duke Blue Devils catch a ton of hell from us for any inclusion of black. The Texas Tech Red Raiders wear more black than red...which should be a problem.

But much of the sports world's first look at the Blue Raiders will be not wearing blue. Or even white. And at home. Way to drop the ball, Middle. I love 'em, but they need a Marketing exec to actually...well...do some real work?

Also doesn't help that I saw a kid wearing a shirt in Target from the upcoming "Blackout Game" of a local, rural high school. I just looked...it's on October 3rd...and they have an enrollment of 302. I don't know if it's proof we're "making an impact on our community"...or just a testament to the league our thought processes are in.

I'll be cheering us on, always. But as usual, I don't think it will be pretty--aesthetically, promotionally, or on field.

To be fair, we've taken the black out of our football (except the swoosh on the white pants) and baseball uniforms (for now on the baseball ones, with the Nike switch forthcoming.)

GO RAIDERS GO!

I'm glad you just mentioned that...because since opening this thread and reading the first post I've been busting my brain up about the correlation between your username and "your school"...thanks for clarifying that.

no problem...but yea, i spent 15 years in Hawaii until after i left high school, and now im in my 5th semester at MTSU

I've always thought that if you're going to come down on schools infusing Black into a color scheme when it isn't part of a color scheme, then why does Ohio State get a free pass? And, don't give me that "tradition" pat answer either...

:P

Good question. I guess I forgive the Bucks because they've had black for as long as I can remenber (and I'm 55). I can even remember black sleeve numbers when I was young...

I always had assumed black was part of their colour scheme -- but you're right. I hate schools/teams adding black "just 'cuz." (Hello, Detroit Lions, among countless others...)

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Archived