Anyone else see this?

dcameronh

I was just on the 49ers website and notice that they wore their current helmets with grey face masks at yesterday's pratice. I'm pretty sure it is because they will be wearing their alternate uni's (throwbacks) this weekend against the Seahawks.

What I'm not sure about is why the grey facemask is on the current style helmet. Do they use the same helmets and just change the face mask, logo and stripes? Anyone have the inside info?

Just click here and scroll down to see the pictures of Manny Lawson and Eric Heitmann

Also does anyone know if Singletary is going to continue the tradition of Mike Nolan's to were a suit at home games? I dought it, but that would be somthing if he does.

honestly I think it works. A little retro, a little new age. If they got rid of the black accents and kept the red faceamsk they would shine.

I would like to see Coach Singletary wear a suit, that would be snazzy and classy.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

As a gray facemask supporter, i think it looks great.

As a fellow gray facemask enthusiast, I second that!

Now I know we're all uniform and logo enthusiasts with our own likes and dislikes, but I have never understood the hatred some people have for gray facemasks!

It is my personal belief that the facemask is a utilitarian piece of equipment that really has no bearing on the rest of the uniform. Moreover, gray facemasks are usually neutral enough that they shouldn't bug people. What bugs me are colored facemasks!!!

looks better than the red. they need to take the black out of the uniforms and logos.

i agree/disagree. i honestly hate the niners current helmet. the stripes, the "modern" logo, the facemask. all of it. that said, the grey face mask makes it look a hundred times better. the black stripes were awful in my opinion, but they look good here. maybe its the black dropshadows on the jersey. a combination of the current, the throwbacks and the '94 throwbacks, could work really well.

Like the grey face mask myself as well, in general I approved of the neo-retro Niners look but would like to see the black de-emphisized. Drop it from the helmet stripe, lighten it round the logo and jersey/pant stripes and dump the drop shadow. I love that ruby red color, do not ever change that!

RobbyBox2.jpg

Is there a uniform rule that governs a possible midseason switch of facemasks? Obviously, we all know how little flexibility the NFL has regarding uniforms, but I wonder if there's language governing facemasks. Anyone know?

I would be upset if everybody was forced to have grey facemasks.

Case in point; my Arizona Cardinals.

The grey facemask sticks out like a sore thumb.

Don't get me wrong, there are times when grey facemasks are allowed.

But I don't want EVERYBODY to have a grey facemasks.

honestly I think it works. A little retro, a little new age. If they got rid of the black accents and kept the red faceamsk they would shine.

I would like to see Coach Singletary wear a suit, that would be snazzy and classy.

I would like to see him bring back those coke bottled glasses of his from the super bowl shuffle

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

The 49ers are a sleeve-logo / stripe removal away from having a top 3 uniform (IMO they might even be there already.) Any move back to the past would be a huge mistake IMO. Once they went back to gold pants, their modernization became near perfect.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Now I know we're all uniform and logo enthusiasts with our own likes and dislikes, but I have never understood the hatred some people have for gray facemasks!

It is my personal belief that the facemask is a utilitarian piece of equipment that really has no bearing on the rest of the uniform. Moreover, gray facemasks are usually neutral enough that they shouldn't bug people. What bugs me are colored facemasks!!!

I don't know man, colored facemasks work more than grey. But whatever...

bSLCtu2.png

Grey facemask on this helmet = STUPID LOOKING.

And, no, Iron Mike should not wear some goofy looking suit and tie. The last guy tried that, and got run out of town. Its football. Its not basketball (thank goodness).

You don't see Del Rio doing the "coat and tie" thing now either. He looked like a total stiff in that thing.

I don't know man, colored facemasks work more than grey. But whatever...

Gray facemasks work for some teams, but not all. I don't believe you can just slap it on any modern helmet and get away with it.

Case in point: the Arizona Cardinals. They seriously need to paint those things red or black, just anything but gray!

6uXNWAo.png

Archived