Arena Football League reschedules draft, again...

Ez Street

New official league statement just out:

Despite rumors and reports to the contrary, all AFL teams are continuing to work towards ArenaBowl XXIII. As it has previously stated, the AFL continues to work on long-term structural improvement options.

Some of the options may impact the 2009 season. There is currently no timetable for an announcement of any kind. We remain grateful to our fans for their enthusiasm and patience.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New official league statement just out:

Despite rumors and reports to the contrary, all AFL teams are continuing to work towards ArenaBowl XXIII. As it has previously stated, the AFL continues to work on long-term structural improvement options.

Some of the options may impact the 2009 season. There is currently no timetable for an announcement of any kind. We remain grateful to our fans for their enthusiasm and patience.

I saw that too. Its bull, the season is Iced for 2009

okay these people need to make up their minds(newspapers and league) Either cancel the season or dont already! One moment the league is done the next they are back up and continuing. what the hell?

Signature intentionally left blank

Here's an ESPN Article, looks like cancellation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/afl/news/story?id=3759813

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

okay these people need to make up their minds(newspapers and league) Either cancel the season or dont already! One moment the league is done the next they are back up and continuing. what the hell?

As I put elsewhere, this league can't even fold properly.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Supposedly, the players agreed to a salary cut to keep the league going according to this article.

And, according to the Rampage's union rep in this Grand Rapids Press article, there's some dissention among the owners as to whether to go ahead with the 2009 season, with the ownership groups in Colorado and Dallas among those who want to suspend and possibly resume play in 2010.

Big surprise here... not: the AFL has committed to remaining noncommittal about the 2009 season.

PHILADELPHIA -- The Arena Football League's 2009 season is on -- for now.

The AFL's board of directors met via conference call Wednesday night but "despite rumors and reports to the contrary" did not suspend the upcoming season.

"The Board will continue to meet regularly to examine any and all long-term structural improvement options for the AFL," the league said in a statement.

<snip>

"I have yet to hear anything from our ownership, but I am happy for the league and happy to possibly have the opportunity to defend our championship," Philadelphia Soul coach Bret Munsey said Wednesday evening.

(My emphasis added.)

CCSLC signature.png

Wow. 10 out of 16. Close to the 12 needed.

I wouldn't count on the 10 in question shuttering their doors, for 2009 or for good. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that 2-4 will fold outright, 1-2 will 'suspend operations' for 2009, and whoever's left will play. It might be an 8-10 team AFL in 2009, but hey, the league had a 4-team alignment one season, so what the hell?

nav-logo.png

I wouldn't count on the 10 in question shuttering their doors, for 2009 or for good. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that 2-4 will fold outright, 1-2 will 'suspend operations' for 2009, and whoever's left will play. It might be an 8-10 team AFL in 2009, but hey, the league had a 4-team alignment one season, so what the hell?

from what i've read it could be Colorado and Dallas to suspend, Georgia and Kansas City to close shop forever. Arizona, Orlando, Grand Rapids, and Tampa Bay will be coming back if the season comes back. Louisville could be moved up to 2009. But right now these are all rumors and hear say right now. So it could be 10-12 teams next year.

from what i've read it could be Colorado and Dallas to suspend, Georgia and Kansas City to close shop forever. Arizona, Orlando, Grand Rapids, and Tampa Bay will be coming back if the season comes back. Louisville could be moved up to 2009. But right now these are all rumors and hear say right now. So it could be 10-12 teams next year.

I hope they have owners, since it sounded like the Fire owners ran out of money.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

No way does anyone get added this year; there's just not enough time to get an organization in place, and besides with things the way they are right now, who in their right mind would buy a new AFL franchise?

Just throwing a SWAG out there that...

- Colorado, Dallas and Georgia are done;

- Arizona, Kansas City and Utah 'suspend operations' for 2009, but ultimately never play another game;

- Columbus and Philadelphia will suspend operations for 2009, but return if the league does for 2010; and

- Chicago, Cleveland, Grand Rapids, Los Angeles, New York, Orlando, San Jose and Tampa play this year.

Remember, that's a SWAG - I have no knowledge of anything at all; just yanking a scenario out of my rear end.

nav-logo.png

No way does anyone get added this year; there's just not enough time to get an organization in place, and besides with things the way they are right now, who in their right mind would buy a new AFL franchise?

Just throwing a SWAG out there that...

- Colorado, Dallas and Georgia are done;

- Arizona, Kansas City and Utah 'suspend operations' for 2009, but ultimately never play another game;

- Columbus and Philadelphia will suspend operations for 2009, but return if the league does for 2010; and

- Chicago, Cleveland, Grand Rapids, Los Angeles, New York, Orlando, San Jose and Tampa play this year.

Remember, that's a SWAG - I have no knowledge of anything at all; just yanking a scenario out of my rear end.

Well it's just a rumor that Louisville could be added, as far as Arizona, they have already gone on record that they are playing this year. But other than Arizona, your predictions are pretty right on.

Thanks that was my first ever post and I have been registerd for over 2 heres on here wow. I could have sworn I posted at least once on here before.

That's a real shame :P

Archived