Arena Football League reschedules draft, again...

Ez Street

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looks like it's official

Union and League Come to Agreement

They're coming back in 2010, all 18 teams, and 2 expansion teams. Weren't there 17?

Does anybody have an idea of the where the exspansion teams will be located?

One is rumored to be Pittsburgh, the other we don't know. Also from what i'm hearing New Orleans will be coming back as well but not with the previous ownership.

I'm pretty sure Louisville's dead.

The original owner of the Fire is still actively trying to bring the AFL to Louisville. The group he sold the af2 team two killed off the af2 squad.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

looks like it's official

They're coming back in 2010, all 18 teams, and 2 expansion teams. Weren't there 17?

I'm still not sure the "full comeback" is in effect due to this bolded portion which I see as the bigger issue with the AFL:

"Renacci said the new labor agreement is just one step toward getting back on the field next year. The league also plans to restructure into a single entity ownership model....."

This was the reason that Tom Benson pulled out of the AFL as soon as he did.... I'm wondering how many other NFL-AFL cross owners (Jerry Jones, Arthur Blank, etc.) will be willing to "invest" in this single-entity model. I think you'll see a lot of them pulling out as well.

It is what it is.

looks like it's official

I'm still not sure the "full comeback" is in effect due to this bolded portion which I see as the bigger issue with the AFL:

"Renacci said the new labor agreement is just one step toward getting back on the field next year. The league also plans to restructure into a single entity ownership model....."

This was the reason that Tom Benson pulled out of the AFL as soon as he did.... I'm wondering how many other NFL-AFL cross owners (Jerry Jones, Arthur Blank, etc.) will be willing to "invest" in this single-entity model. I think you'll see a lot of them pulling out as well.

I'm assuming that they have new franchise managers lined up if that is the case.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I have a real problem with a single entity ownership. While it obviously wouldn't be EXACTLY the same, it begins to look something like WWE to me. Who's really to say that there aren't games being thrown or trades being made at the behest of the top string-pullers?

I have a real problem with a single entity ownership. While it obviously wouldn't be EXACTLY the same, it begins to look something like WWE to me. Who's really to say that there aren't games being thrown or trades being made at the behest of the top string-pullers?

Well...the af2 seems to make it work.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 1 month later...
Looks like things aren't as rosy as we were led to believe....

L.A. lost: AFL's Avengers fold after nine seasons

Going to be hard to bring the League back until they have a franchise in LA. They aren't the NFL.

Aw, man, that's disappointing. The Avengers never set the world on fire on the field, but they always came across as a professionally-run organization, and had surprisingly strong fan support - two essentials for a minor-league team, and, perhaps not coincidentally, two traits also found in New Orleans.

Perhaps the only AFL owners left for Kickoff 2010 will be ones with their heads in the clouds.

And now, a moment of silence, and Todd Marinovich.

todd-marinovich-arena-league-0509-lg.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, if the League does come back, it'll have to contend with the loss of two strong franchises.

Looks like things aren't as rosy as we were led to believe....

L.A. lost: AFL's Avengers fold after nine seasons

Going to be hard to bring the League back until they have a franchise in LA. They aren't the NFL.

avengers_diss_cover.jpg

Somebody dig out the "post of the day" graphic.

Does it say anything about the NFLs hopes to get football back in LA when the arena team folds>? Or am I reading to much into that?

You are. The existence or lack thereof of the Avengers is independent of the NFL's designs on the market.

Today, we are all otaku.

Does it say anything about the NFLs hopes to get football back in LA when the arena team folds>? Or am I reading to much into that?

You are. The existence or lack thereof of the Avengers is independent of the NFL's designs on the market.

Hmmm, well I understand the NFLs desire for an LA market, but LA doesn't seem to have a huge amount of desire for an NFL franchise, it has after all let go of several of them now. And if I was a football fan in LA and wanted to show the NFL, and any prospective owner, that I wanted a team in my city, I would be backing the AFL in the city as much as possible. Obviously there is a difference between the two, and obviously there may be independent reasons for the Avengers collapsing, but it doesn't from my POV seem to augur well for an NFL team in the city of angels.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived