ESPN's The Greatest Game Ever Played

chestnutz

Not sure if this is in the right section, but just wanted to put this here. When I first saw this promo I pissed myself. Johnny Unitas is my favorite player of all time, being we both share a Lithuanian heritage. ESPN will be reshowing the game in HD color, which looks amazing (picturing things in black in white in color are so hard for me to do). They have current Giants and Colts players talking with the guys who played in the 1958 championship game about it.

Here's the promo

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/...videoId=3742270

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Sure, this is the "Greatest Game Ever Played." But is it the MOST ULTIMATE GAME EVER? We'll find out. Go to espn.com and vote. And then tune in to SportsCenter every night at 6 ET between December 21st and April 11th to watch as Trey Wingo and Chris Berman whittle down the field of 364 games to the #1...MOST. ULTIMATE. GAME. EVER.*

*Or, if you're busy and can't watch, it's Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS between the Red Sox and the Yankees.

I knew someone would start bashing ESPN eventually. But I thought it would have been well before the 6th post. Y'all are slipping!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

This is gonna be awesome.

When ESPN gets it right, they get it right. Wow.

I have to agree. I am really looking forward to watching it. Plus, NFL Films was involved so we are pretty much guaranteed a quality production.

I just saw the promo during halftime of MNF. For me, this is a MUST see!

6uXNWAo.png

I have to agree. I am really looking forward to watching it. Plus, NFL Films was involved so we are pretty much guaranteed a quality production.

Is it just me or does it seem like ESPN shows less NFL Films than they used to? ESPN Classic doesn't even show them.

When I was a kid you could pretty much find an NFL films show on ESPN or ESPN 2 at least once a day.

PvO6ZWJ.png

You bet im watching this. I'm proud to be a die-hard Colts fan and watching this would make me ever prouder!! I wish I could have been able to watch this or experience it back then, unfortunately it happened some 34 years before i was born :( but at least with this i can experience the the best way that i can :) GO COLTS!!!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Is it just me or does it seem like ESPN shows less NFL Films than they used to? ESPN Classic doesn't even show them.

When I was a kid you could pretty much find an NFL films show on ESPN or ESPN 2 at least once a day.

Ahem.

NFL Network.

Thanks.

3101813238_7d0a1c2aae_o.png

That said, I'm psyched for this. You don't get many chances to watch full coverage of football games this old, since the league wasn't exactly the powerhouse it is now. And this is a legendary game to boot - not just an epic championship battle, but the first game in the NFL ever to see an overtime period.

Mud, blood, and pigskin. I'm there.

Oh yeah, there's some awards ceremony going on beforehand too - might want to check that out as well. I dunno. :)

3101813238_7d0a1c2aae_o.png

I remember all the BS that Turner had to put up with when they colorized movies including "Gone With The Wind" and "It's a Wonderful Life", but that seems to not be heard today although it didn't look like the process got any better. Converting the game to HD format is great, colorizing is it is not so great. Let it live as much as it can in the original format. Converting it to HD and/or digital was the correct, if not necessary, thing to do.

GWTW was filmed in Technicolor, but your point is well taken.

Turner deserved all the ridicule they got - the films they colorized were shot after color film had been invented, and thereby they were distorting the filmmakers' vision. This isn't so clear-cut, as a documentary event.

My biggest problem with it is that, as you note, the colorization looks really fake.

Archived