Chiefs Concept

LogoFan

For the same reason they are offended by the Redskins logo, or the Indians logo. The Chiefs have one of the least offensive Native American designs of any team out there. It's just an arrowhead, fairly non-offensive (though the more devout protestors would probably still complain), it's not a tomahawk or a red-skinned figure. Right now, the Redskins, Braves, Indians are protested way more than the Chiefs are. I think adding something like that just opens them up for more complaint. Stick with the arrowhead.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm sorry but the various Native American communities are just hurting for money and that's why they protest these stupid things. There's many different ethnics that could protest various logos in the sports world but the American Native American population seems to be the only ones that stand out. All they want is a pity party. You can call me racist but just know that I'm saying this about my own people. I have Native American blood and enough to become apart of some of this communities and reservations. I'm just speaking the truth. It's a sad sad world.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

It's not even the Native Americans who care. I believe native american groups have even said that in the past that they don't care. I could be wrong though.

Now to comment --

All the logos seem over-exagerated to me.

Arrowheads, I believe, were smoother than you make them out to be. I believe the Chiefs current logo is perfect and doesn't need to be changed in the slightest bit. I also have problems with the shadowing on the Indian. It just looks wierd to me that there us no hint of shadow on his feathers, yet the right side of his face can't be seen due to the shadows. You're also adding black to a design that doesn't need black.

The shadowing on the Vikings is horribly wrong. I can't see why light would be hitting the front of his helmet, but the front of his face is basked in shadows. I think you've got talent... but I'm a fan of neither of these designs.

IUe6Hvh.png

Well I'm sorry but the various Native American communities are just hurting for money and that's why they protest these stupid things.

im jewish, and if some team came out called "the jews" and used a big-nosed, orthadox rabbi as a logo i would be offended. the native americans have every right to complaighn. if u are a native american, then its ur choice not to care, however, like i said, if it were me, i would be up in arms.

Let me state, for the record, that I did not want to bring up another debate on the appropriateness (is that a word?) of using Native American names/logos. All I wanted to note was that adding a logo that depicted a Native American where none was before is probably going to invite that type of debate (and negative press and boycotts, etc, etc) and that any team in this situation would probably avoid doing so. In my opinion, the only thing the Chiefs would do is maybe update their arrowhead, simply to avoid having this type of controversy.

I take no stance on the debate, just that a debate would occur.

Thanks for allowing me to cover my ass. :D

Well I'm sorry but the various Native American communities are just hurting for money and that's why they protest these stupid things.

im jewish, and if some team came out called "the jews" and used a big-nosed, orthadox rabbi as a logo i would be offended. the native americans have every right to complaighn. if u are a native american, then its ur choice not to care, however, like i said, if it were me, i would be up in arms.

I never said I was a "Native American". I just said I had some "Native American" blood, not much but enough to be recognized by the U.S. Government as a Native American decendent or be apart of some of their communities. All I was saying is that it's sometimes ridiculous to get all upset over a sporting name. Let the teams call themselves whatever the hell they want.

The "chief head" is fine the way it is. Like I said, don't change a thing!

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

I never said I was a "Native American". I just said I had some "Native American" blood, not much but enough to be recognized by the U.S. Government as a Native American decendent or be apart of some of their communities. All I was saying is that it's sometimes ridiculous to get all upset over a sporting name. Let the teams call themselves whatever the hell they want.

The "chief head" is fine the way it is. Like I said, don't change a thing!

Okay, bs2282, when I said the political correctness debate was over? I meant it. The next comment will force me to close the thread, and open a new one for Logofan.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but as I said before, the debate has happened before, and it's been done, and if you check, most (if not all) of those threads had to be closed due to violation of board policy.

Speak to the designs, by all means. Stay on topic.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Logofan,

these are extremely good - I like the Chiefs concept, however I agree with the politically correctiveness of the comments made. However, I love the concept!

Just a thought: I think KC gets away with having a native american name more because they don't have a Native American as part of their logo, whereas the Wash. Redskins do. IMO- as soon as they get the Redskins to change, they will go after the Chiefs.

The Vikings concept is awesome. For me, I loved it. While reading some other comments I can see what SyiPhi is talking about - the Arrowhead (3 colors) and the Viking's eyebrow. Chalk that up to "professional critique" and I mean that in a positive way. SyiPhi and others have a great eye for that.

Fantanstic work Logofan! :notworthy:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Thanks for all the great input, everybody!

On the Chiefs: I played around with several color variations and thought that the one I selected tied all the colors the Chiefs have now (red, yellow, white , and though unofficial, black). Seeing that several of you thought the tri-color wasn't so hot, I'm posting several variations (a few of which are brand new). Please let me know if one of the variants tops the original. As for the chief-head...sorry I sparked debate, that wasn't the intent (and I'm not going there, either). The first thing I picture with the name "Chiefs" is the head-dress, and so I looked for an alternate logo to go with it. Again, I'm posting some considered alternates; let me know what you think.

CheifsAlternates.gif

On the Vikings: I know the inconsistency with the eyebrow outline, but when I put the outline around it, it just didn't look right...the logo just lloked far too dark. Regarding the shadowing...everyone assumes he's white, but a "purple-people-eater" is, well, purple. It's subliminiminable, subliminininal...subl....sigh, it has a hidden dual-reasoning...

Thanks again, guys, for the great feedback. It helps alot!

I like number 5 on both sets. Strangely enough, 5 happens to be my favorite number.

Anyway, i like the headdress on the football, although I will go ahead and throw some aknowledgement towards the possibility of the native-american sensativity. It reminds me of the mullet football, which i like a lot, too.

The arrows, with the multicolors on different facets seem odd to me.. like... "what kinda disco lights are on that arrowhead, anyway, that makes it yellow on the back, white on top, and red below?" But the #5 arrow used the white with outlines VERY well. I dig it.

Nice set, logofan.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I like #4 for both sets best.

Although for the arrowhead I'd make the left and bottom sections red, and the top section yellow. Second of those would be #5.

For the headdress, I like #4 for it's simplicity, and because it looks better than the other unworn-headdresses. Second would be #5, because I like the idea behind it, although the execution could use a little bit of work IMO...

Great job Logofan. These are some nice concepts.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The first "chief head" is still the best even though some think it's discriminatory towards Native Americans.

Retired Number's To Come

i like #5 for both of them, although for the #5 headdress one, i think it would look cooler if the football was a more defined football shape, not the shape of a head with stitches.

all around amazing work though. i checked out the other concepts on your site and they're all superb!

Logofan, both concepts are great. But for the first time ever on this board, I understand when people say don't you dare change my team's logo. I don't think the Vikings logo needs updating or changing. It's perfect the way it is.

• 1 year later...
I'm not a big fan of your sketchiness in the two concepts. The chiefs colours are OK, but the yellow in the Vikings jersey's don't look that great.

How far did you have to dig to come up with this one? A year and 2 months is a long time on these boards.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived