49ers still new uniforms?

In 5..4..3..2..1

I have to say the 49ers current set may be one of the most unappreciated in the NFL today. They took the best of the Montana-era set, the best of the SB XXIX throwbacks ( :cursing: ), and came up a with a near perfect update.

All they need to do is fix the helmet striping to match the pants striping and it's perfection, IMO.

An other idea would be to remove the logos from the sleeves and place the plain "SF" monogram under the collar ala the NYGs/Bengals.

On the whole though, the look is solid and shouldn't be thrown away in favour of a throwback or throwback-inspired look.

Yeah, maybe there's a reason why its so "unappreciated".

It's called an opinion. I happen to think it looks fantastic. It, and the Dolphins update, are among the best updates ever attempted in the NFL, IMO.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be an old school idiot then! But I do like the 49ers current set over the old ones. Here is a idea of what they would look like using a slightly darker version of the cherry red and I changed the facemask to grey just to see how it would look.

NFLConcept-SanFrancisco49ersv2.png

*Pic removed*

Now why haven't the Giants ever thought about wearing these as alternates instead of the red monstrosities they wore once each season from 2004 to 2007?

Off the subject of the thread, but put me in the category of people who actually like the red jerseys as an alternate. On the other hand, I really dislike the 80's era Giants jerseys.

Not sure if that makes me old school, new school, or just wierd.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

I would LOVE the 49er's current uniform... if they won 4 Super Bowls in them. But they didn't. They won 4 Super Bowls in their 80's set, and 1 in their throwback uniform.

I just feel, if you win championships in your current set, why the haste to change the look? Now if you have years of struggle, OK... but not when your old look was pretty fresh.

Let me guess, you guys don't like the Chief's jerseys? Are they not "modernized" enough?

I see that you are just 84 posts into your CCSLC career. Maybe this will save you some time.

You'll find that among all the varying tastes around here, there also exists two distinct camps. "The Modernizers/Updaters" and the "Old School Idiots." Both are very passionate about their positions.

"The Modernizers/Updaters" believe that any jersey that has been around longer than three seasons has "outlived it's usefulness." They also believe that Cincinnati, Atlanta, Arizona, Denver, and Minnesota look better than they ever have. They like sideways stripes, weird piping, and facemasks that are any color but gray.

"The Old School Idiots" believe that any new uniform designed since 1970 is garbage. They live for "throwback" games and claim that perfection cannot be improved upon. They believe that the best uniforms in the NFL belong to Cleveland, The Giants, Green Bay, and (only if they go back to their old number font) Pittsburgh. If you even approach the idea of changing the Browns helmet you will be met with ridicule and abuse. Old Schoolers also believe that the best facemask is a gray facemask.

You are completely wasting your time if you try to get either group to see it any other way. :D

WE NEED A DEBATE BETWEEN OLD SCHOOL AND NEW SCHOOL

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

I would LOVE the 49er's current uniform... if they won 4 Super Bowls in them. But they didn't. They won 4 Super Bowls in their 80's set, and 1 in their throwback uniform.

I just feel, if you win championships in your current set, why the haste to change the look? Now if you have years of struggle, OK... but not when your old look was pretty fresh.

Let me guess, you guys don't like the Chief's jerseys? Are they not "modernized" enough?

I see that you are just 84 posts into your CCSLC career. Maybe this will save you some time.

You'll find that among all the varying tastes around here, there also exists two distinct camps. "The Modernizers/Updaters" and the "Old School Idiots." Both are very passionate about their positions.

"The Modernizers/Updaters" believe that any jersey that has been around longer than three seasons has "outlived it's usefulness." They also believe that Cincinnati, Atlanta, Arizona, Denver, and Minnesota look better than they ever have. They like sideways stripes, weird piping, and facemasks that are any color but gray.

"The Old School Idiots" believe that any new uniform designed since 1970 is garbage. They live for "throwback" games and claim that perfection cannot be improved upon. They believe that the best uniforms in the NFL belong to Cleveland, The Giants, Green Bay, and (only if they go back to their old number font) Pittsburgh. If you even approach the idea of changing the Browns helmet you will be met with ridicule and abuse. Old Schoolers also believe that the best facemask is a gray facemask.

You are completely wasting your time if you try to get either group to see it any other way. :D

Good god no!

As for the current 49ers uniforms, I know this:

I don't know much about design, but I know what I hate...

...and I don't hate these.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

*Pic removed*

Now why haven't the Giants ever thought about wearing these as alternates instead of the red monstrosities they wore once each season from 2004 to 2007?

Off the subject of the thread, but put me in the category of people who actually like the red jerseys as an alternate. On the other hand, I really dislike the 80's era Giants jerseys.

Not sure if that makes me old school, new school, or just wierd.

Same here.

I was actually disappointed to hear the Giants had dropped their red alts.

Isn't that what this thread is? Any time we have one of these update threads, it becomes a proxy for the real debate--old school, retro modern, or, for lack of better term, excessive piping/panels modern. It's like the Cold War, when the USA and USSR didn't actually fight a head-to-head war, but instead chose to fight proxy wars--e.g., Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan (80s Russian Invasion) to name a few--in order to minimize that chance of escalation into full-blown nuclear war.

The same principle applies here--we debate in this small-scale proxy treads to avoid the potential doom and destruction of full-out uniform debate.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I wouldn't mind if the Niners just ditched all the black trim and used the same stripe patterns on the helmet and pants that their throwback uniforms have. But they should keep the current cardinal jerseys and the GOLD pants, which simply look great together. (I don't consider their throwback pants gold...they're really khaki.)

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Idiot must be Ohio slang for "aesthete". B)

I was trying to hide my obvious bias.

BB52Big.jpg

Shouldn't it be NU SKOOL? B)

if you like the throwbacks from this season, you'll be happy next season.

Then I won't. I realize those uniforms come from the Era of Good Feelings, but they are seriously flawed - flaws that were fixed in the current design.

Word. I feel like I'm typing this for the 50th time, but if they just removed the SF-oval from the sleeves, they would have a flawless uniform.

Remove the black stripe from the helmet and I might agree with you.

The black stripe ties into the SF Oval, the drop shadow, and the black stripes on the pants. It stays. It's part of what makes the uniform so great.

Seriously? Whats with the group thinking the current uniform is great? They did what so MANY OTHER teams have done in the late 90s and early this decade. Let's revamp our uniform so it still looks a little classic but it also has an edge. I know, we'll add black lining. The Lions did it. The Dolphins did it. It flows to other sports like the Cincinnati Reds and KC Royals among other teams. It's LAME. Now the Montana era is a bit out dated, especially with the stripe width on the pants. But its far superior to the repetitive look the 9ers have today. Oh hey, lets add a drop shadow too. That will look great!

LAME!

I wouldn't mind if the Niners just ditched all the black trim and used the same stripe patterns on the helmet and pants that their throwback uniforms have. But they should keep the current cardinal jerseys and the GOLD pants, which simply look great together. (I don't consider their throwback pants gold...they're really khaki.)

Here is some good sense.

I'm in the Modernizer group, but I do make some exceptions (Browns, Colts).

6fQjS3M.png

if you like the throwbacks from this season, you'll be happy next season.

Then I won't. I realize those uniforms come from the Era of Good Feelings, but they are seriously flawed - flaws that were fixed in the current design.

Word. I feel like I'm typing this for the 50th time, but if they just removed the SF-oval from the sleeves, they would have a flawless uniform.

Remove the black stripe from the helmet and I might agree with you.

The black stripe ties into the SF Oval, the drop shadow, and the black stripes on the pants. It stays. It's part of what makes the uniform so great.

Seriously? Whats with the group thinking the current uniform is great? They did what so MANY OTHER teams have done in the late 90s and early this decade. Let's revamp our uniform so it still looks a little classic but it also has an edge. I know, we'll add black lining. The Lions did it. The Dolphins did it. It flows to other sports like the Cincinnati Reds and KC Royals among other teams. It's LAME. Now the Montana era is a bit out dated, especially with the stripe width on the pants. But its far superior to the repetitive look the 9ers have today. Oh hey, lets add a drop shadow too. That will look great!

LAME!

The Dolphins didn't add black. They added navy. A shade of navy that goes very well with the traditional teal and orange, IMO.

The 49ers didn't add black 'cause it was cool. They've always had black as part of their colour scheme. It's been used as a highlight colour on their uniforms going back to the 50's. Look at the throwbacks the 49ers wore when they won SB XXIX; black stripes and drop shadows. The 49ers didn't adopt some new trend when they added black, they synthesized the best aspects of all of their past looks into one great, contemporary uniform.

The 49ers and Dolphins, as I've said before, wrote the book on successful sports brand updating.

Bring back the old Dolphins uniforms (pre-1987)....very simple design....aqua and coral colors (no blue accent color)...ah, the good old days!

The old uniforms aren't THAT bad (I think the addition of navy really helps), but that old Dolphins logo looks like trash next to the newer version.

I realize this is all subjective, but come on. In no way whatsoever is the old Dolphins logo better then the new one.

Archived