49ers still new uniforms?

In 5..4..3..2..1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to see something like this for the niners

SanFrancisco49ers.png

It's hard to tell, but there is a gold outline around the numbers as well on the sleeve/sock stripes.

Nice, but some alterations to it

grey facemask

no gold outlines on the numbers

solid red socks

black shoes

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

New set > old set, for the 294,827th time.

The old set was great in the 70s, great in the 80s. By the mid-90s, it was tiiiiime for a change.

And it's not time to go back to the old ones, either. Leave the uniforms alone.

Ok... for the 294,828th time... here's what sucks, and cannot be ignored by anyone who claims to care about design, about the "new" uniforms.

1. Helmet stripe and pants stripe do not match. This unbelievable simple rule is so easy that getting JUST THIS wrong is more than enough to blow up the whole uniform.

2. The helmet logo is repeated on the sleeve AND on the pants. OK, we get it already! What, couldn't find a way to shoehorn it onto the socks?

3. The sleeve logo DOESN'T FIT. No room... but hey, what would a "modern" jersey be without extra logos? Damn, I'd rather see on the back above the name plate!

4. The hip logo (ugh) actually alters the thickness of the stripes that its sewn over. I've never seen this before, but check it out. Looks cheap.

5. That weird "shadow" that's supposedly coming off the individual sleeve stripes... seriously? Who thought of that? Beyond dumb.

6. In fact the whole sleeve design is such a mess that some linemen are actually wearing a different unifrom... not just an altered cut, but a completely different design.

7. And, yes, the multiple outlines and deep drop shadow of the numbers looked cool... for about a game and a half.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see the throwback become regular, either... plenty of problems there, too. But if the choice is one or the other, I'd have to take the throwback... the current uniforms are the definition of "over designed".

I too prefer the 80s look that they had vs. what they have now, specifically the black striping and the red stripe down the middle. Two things I would love to see, 1. go back to the previous font that they used in the end zones w/the classic 49ers logo, and 2. use that numeral font for the uniforms themselves. I'd be curious to see how that would look.

McCarthy, your redesign is gorgeous and I am able to make out the gold outline, even with my bloodshot 42 year old eyeballs! Very well done!

SanFrancisco49ers.png

It's hard to tell, but there is a gold outline around the numbers as well on the sleeve/sock stripes.

grey facemask

solid red socks

black shoes

there much better

SanFrancisco49ers.png

grey facemask

solid red socks

black shoes

there much better

Very nice. Kudos. Perfect.

As soon as you explain to me how grey fits in with the rest of the uniform, I'll be interested. Otherwise, I'll marvel at the inconsistency of those arguing that variant striping harms the current set, yet adding a grey facemask while featuring that color nowhere else in the uniform would somehow be an asset.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

SanFrancisco49ers.png

grey facemask

solid red socks

black shoes

there much better

I like the tradition

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

SanFrancisco49ers.png

solid red socks

black shoes

grey facemask

there much better

There, much better. Grey has no place in the 49ers uniforms. I don't understand how it looks good on a gold helmet, especially when there is no grey in the rest of the uniform.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

if you like the throwbacks from this season, you'll be happy next season.

Then I won't. I realize those uniforms come from the Era of Good Feelings, but they are seriously flawed - flaws that were fixed in the current design.

Word. I feel like I'm typing this for the 50th time, but if they just removed the SF-oval from the sleeves, they would have a flawless uniform.

Remove the black stripe from the helmet and I might agree with you.

The black stripe ties into the SF Oval, the drop shadow, and the black stripes on the pants. It stays. It's part of what makes the uniform so great.

remove the logo from the sleeves, but match the helmet stripe to the pants stripe and then it's perfect.

Correct, correct. The helmet stripe alone makes it, to me, a bad helmet. Fix that, and the helmet looks tons better.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I've said this in many a 49er (and other teams throwback thread). Why go back? Is it because it's what you saw when you were a kid? Is it because you liked the success they had 20 years ago? Changing the uniforms will not change the team or your feeling for them. The hardest thing for people to realize about change is what is left behind is gone. (I wish the Penguins would go back to yellow gold, but they aren't and Lemieux is never playing for them again either.)

The worst part of all has to be the gray mask. Where is gray in your set? Why not get a purple mask then if it's just used for protection? Heck, why not let every guy choose their favorite color mask? The mask is part of the uniform and we have the technology to coordinate the color. Should we give every goalie tan pads? Should we give every hitter the generic red or navy logoless little league helmet? No. Geez, I hear people calling the unis overdesigned...why? They upgraded the color of gold, they matched the red mask, they matched the black as a trim color. You want to hear overdesign...look at Buffalo. People complain about the stripes of the pants and the helmet stripe...well, I hope you're complaining about "classic" teams like the Colts then too.

Current 49er unis > Throwback unis

/rant over

KISSwall09.jpg

i like tan goalie pads. the grey facemask haters have to get over it. its not a garish color. grey is pretty muted. its become a throwback thing, not a color. like a goalie in a throwback sweater wearing tan pads, the grey mask just fits with some unis. arizona, no. indianapolis, yes. new niners, no. old niners yes.

New set > old set, for the 294,827th time.

The old set was great in the 70s, great in the 80s. By the mid-90s, it was tiiiiime for a change.

And it's not time to go back to the old ones, either. Leave the uniforms alone.

Ok... for the 294,828th time... here's what sucks, and cannot be ignored by anyone who claims to care about design, about the "new" uniforms.

1. Helmet stripe and pants stripe do not match. This unbelievable simple rule is so easy that getting JUST THIS wrong is more than enough to blow up the whole uniform.

2. The helmet logo is repeated on the sleeve AND on the pants. OK, we get it already! What, couldn't find a way to shoehorn it onto the socks?

3. The sleeve logo DOESN'T FIT. No room... but hey, what would a "modern" jersey be without extra logos? Damn, I'd rather see on the back above the name plate!

4. The hip logo (ugh) actually alters the thickness of the stripes that its sewn over. I've never seen this before, but check it out. Looks cheap.

5. That weird "shadow" that's supposedly coming off the individual sleeve stripes... seriously? Who thought of that? Beyond dumb.

6. In fact the whole sleeve design is such a mess that some linemen are actually wearing a different unifrom... not just an altered cut, but a completely different design.

7. And, yes, the multiple outlines and deep drop shadow of the numbers looked cool... for about a game and a half.

Personally, I wouldn't want to see the throwback become regular, either... plenty of problems there, too. But if the choice is one or the other, I'd have to take the throwback... the current uniforms are the definition of "over designed".

I don't know if I could've said it better myself.

The current set is pretty damn horrible.

To me, one of the biggest things, outside of what's mentioned is that the black doesn't really mesh with the gold and red, the three colors compliment each other about as well as a visor hat on a pile of dog :censored:. They're all too strong, too dark to be secondary colors, and when they're kind of forced to be by the design, the end result is muddled, mediocre, and just plain ugly.

The old 49er uniforms communicate the identity of the team much better than the current ones do. Instead of adding to the logo and having the uniforms follow, creating a gigantic clusterfvck of colors, stripes and mud, they should have left the uniforms as they were and subtracted from the logo to make it match the uniform. The black should have been eliminated from the logo when the change was made, the huge pants stripe should have been slimmed down to the standard width and the facemask should have been changed to red (I also would have advocated that the block numerals be altered slightly to display a more 'old-west/gold rush' type of vintage look, either like the old UCLA numerals, which have a style similar to the SF lettermark, or something just slightly different than standard block. The problem would have been solved and it would look great well into the future.

That's all that they needed to do, but if I was given free reign over the whole thing, here's what I would have done: incorporate gold into the jersey, ditch the predictable, static, red oval, give the whole uniform more of an old-time, gold rush aesthetic and stick with a simple look derived from the ones that the Niners had used since the 40s.

49ers.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm trying to figure out why most people seem to love the 80s era unis more than the current ones. The current ones blow the old ones out of the water. Like BBTV said, the flaws in the old unis were fixed with the new one. The throwbacks are just really boring. I'm not buying "but they won championships in them so they're better!" as a reason why the throwbacks are better.

In my opinion the new unis are only seen as better by a majority since they include black. An old instructor of mine used to joke that if you don't have a good logo, reverse it out of black and people will think it's better.

I see this new 49ers set as implementing that logic (as did the Lions). Instead of refining the look and making it right, they simply added black outlines and a few other tweaks and the public perceives it as better. It's basically the easy way out and doesn't address or solve the problem.

Perfectly said.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

remove the logo from the sleeves, but match the helmet stripe to the pants stripe and then it's perfect.

Agreed and while your at it, throw in the logo on the hip of the pants. It's not necessary! I'm a kid of the 80's but unlike most other franchises like Pittsburgh, Green Bay the 49ers' uniforms couldn't transcend time without the black added which IMO improved their design. Green Bay removed a set of stripes and the Steelers curved their font yet they are still 'classic' why not Frisco?

Archived