2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Astros fire manager Cecil Cooper with 13 games left

That'll show everyone in Astro Nation that they mean business!!!

Couldn't they have waited two weeks? Seriously. Like it's gonna make that much damn difference.

The Brewers fired Ned Yost with 12 games left and won the wild card. 13 is 12 + 1. That means the Astros have an even better chance to come back than the Brewers did!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Astros fire manager Cecil Cooper with 13 games left

That'll show everyone in Astro Nation that they mean business!!!

Couldn't they have waited two weeks? Seriously. Like it's gonna make that much damn difference.

The Brewers fired Ned Yost with 12 games left and won the wild card. 13 is 12 + 1. That means the Astros have an even better chance to come back than the Brewers did!

Except for the whole "being 14.5 games back of the wild card" thing. BAKAstros.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Only the Mets are capable of blowing a 14.5 game lead with 13 to play.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree, although maybe Cooper knew he was going to get fred and wanted to be let go now, or they want to give Dave Clark a try out.

Apparently so, Tank. I heard some analyst (maybe Jayson Stark?) say that everyone in the organization, including Cooper himself, knew he was going to be fired anyway, so he basically said "F*** y'all...let me go and give me my f***ing check!" Clark will also be among the candidates for the job next year.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I agree, although maybe Cooper knew he was going to get fred and wanted to be let go now, or they want to give Dave Clark a try out.

Apparently so, Tank. I heard some analyst (maybe Jayson Stark?) say that everyone in the organization, including Cooper himself, knew he was going to be fired anyway, so he basically said "F*** y'all...let me go and give me my f***ing check!" Clark will also be among the candidates for the job next year.

Same situation with Larry Bowa in Philadelphia - fired with 2 games remaining in the 2004 season.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Millwood finally was able to pitch on Monday night and we went 7. So he has over 180 innings and his $12 M contract for 2010 has been picked up.

It would have cost way more than 12 million bucks if they didn't get him his innings. :P

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Not a shock, sometimes a Manager gets the sense he will be fired, and asks, the orginization being honest with the manager says, yes we will fire you, and Copper says ok let me go now then. Otherwise yeah letting sobody go with 13 games left does not make sense.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I don't like it, on either end.

Managers tell their players to stick it out until the very end. They need to do the same. He's gonna get fired either way, so just finish the season.

Same for the club, they're gonna end up in the same place with the guy or without the guy, on the couch watching the playoffs. So just let him finish the season.

on the subject of bradley, his year seems to have been the reverse of what happens to most players . normally a player's stats will improve as he moves from the al to the nl because of worse pitching or hitting . but bradley's stats have gotten worse as he has moved from the al to the nl . the only reason i can think of this would be is because of old age . but im sore there are better reasons, or simply he just cant hit anymore .

Bradley's stats got worse because he had to be on the field this season. He flourished in Texas because he was just a DH.

That, and to quote the man who's made Todd Hundley's stint in Wrigley look like a lovefest, he could take his 3-4 ABs and go home, and comparatively few cared. Maybe he shoulda stayed there, cus it's clear the Cubs and the Gameboard will be far better off apart than they ever were together.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

If Zack Greinke for some reason needs more wins to convince people he deserves the Cy Young, I'm more than happy to surrender this one to him.

I still feel like he's going to get screwed. As ugly as that game might've been, as a Sox fan, too watch, still wish I'd have seen it because that kid is good and I don't get to see him often. If he doesn't win the Cy Young this year, they should just stop handing the award out.

IUe6Hvh.png

Nothing like watching the Yankees choke in the playoffs.

Est. 2001

I don't know... I kind of enjoyed watching the Braves choke over and over again!

Archived