Michigan To Wear 1989 Throwback Saturday

wOOgiE

This is interesting, considering that this jersey design is now illegal under current NCAA uniform guidelines, stating numbers on the jersey must be centered.

So, what happens here? Does the NCAA institute a throwback loophole, or does Adidas modify the jersey to conform to current, stupid regulations?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This is interesting, considering that this jersey design is now illegal under current NCAA uniform guidelines, stating numbers on the jersey must be centered.

So, what happens here? Does the NCAA institute a throwback loophole, or does Adidas modify the jersey to conform to current, stupid regulations?

I've seen Michigan State's "Magic Johnson Throwbacks" and those have the front number on the lower left.

Here's some other college hoops throwbacks I'd like to see:

Ohio State 1960 Throwbacks

Marquette mid-70's Throwbacks

Notre Dame 1973 or '74 Throwbacks (When they stopped UCLA's Long Winning Streak.)

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

Those rules are only enforced in the NCAA tournament. They are operational rules, not procedural, meaning they are not subject to in-game penalties.

If they showed up for an NCAA tournament game wearing "illegal" uniforms, they could potentially forfeit the game. Realistically, the school would just be subject to a fine.

It's similiar to the NCAA rules against native-American mascots. A team can still have the nickname, but they can't wear anything with that nickname on it at an NCAA event.

The football rule against colored jerseys is procedural, and is in the football rulebook, not the NCAA manual.

Why are they wearing Blue instead of White?

And why didn't they do this last week against Illinois, the team they beat in the Final Four (even though the Illini crushed them twice earlier that season...damn!)?

They are wearing the blue and not the white because they won the final game in the blue jersey. The team was in blue when hoisting the trophy, so it makes perfect sense to wear the blue for this game.

If the NCAA would worry about more important things such as helping the student athlete (aka not football or men's basketball players) instead of worrying about what color jersey a football team wears or where the number is sewn on a basketball jerseys, the might be considered a legitimate organization.

Michigan is honoring the 20 year anniversary of the 1989 National Championship team Saturday against Ohio State. To honor the team they will be wearing a 1989 throwback replica blue jersey for the game.

Michigan1989.jpg

Michigan To Wear 1989 Throwbacks

Kind of cool how SI tried to mimic the basketball uniforms.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I don't think they will be those exact jerseys, as the article mentioned that the "Wolverines will wear dark blue replica jerseys specially designed by adidas for the national championship 20-year anniversary." That doesn't sound like exact throwbacks, so I take it there were some changes made. I also heard the current shorts will be worn with them, we will see if that is the case.

MegatronSig2.jpg

If the NCAA would worry about more important things such as helping the student athlete (aka not football or men's basketball players) instead of worrying about what color jersey a football team wears or where the number is sewn on a basketball jerseys, the might be considered a legitimate organization.

So you're proposing that a sports organization not worry about the uniforms worn during the games they sanction?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Here is a picture of the actual jersey they will be wearing in the game.

i-1_L.JPG

*bzzzz*

Oooh, sorry, so close. We were looking for "white numbers with a maize outline."

(or is just the result of reflections on that SI cover?)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Here is a picture of the actual jersey they will be wearing in the game.

i-1_L.JPG

*bzzzz*

Oooh, sorry, so close. We were looking for "white numbers with a maize outline."

(or is just the result of reflections on that SI cover?)

It IS tough to tell from the photo of the SI cover shown elsewhere in this thread, but the numbers were actually gold outlined with white, while the "M" was white outline with gold. Similarly, on the home set the "M" was gold outlined with blue and the number was blue outlined with gold. Though I love this set, this was a design flaw IMO -- the "M" and the front number should have been the same colors.

Missouri had a similar jersey design for a number of years, but as I recall they used to match the numbers and the "M."

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I love the 1989 throwback, it takes me back to an 8 year old little boy watching the game and cheering on the Wolverines. Although they are always going to be my second favorite to the Fab 5 years. Glad they went away from the jersey with just the Michigan M in the middle of the chest

Yeah I really wish they would go back to something similar to the Fab 5 uni's with the BIG block M on the shorts instead of the lil baby one they have on there now... Course it could be just because I remember becoming a sports fan in the days of the Fab 5 with the big shorts and black socks!!! Those were the coolest back then!

Mhockeyavatar-1.jpgMRink.jpgMhockeyavatarmaize-1.jpg

Archived