Mets' pizza patch the laughingstock of baseball uniform world

Waleslax

The Yankees don't own pinstripes as a design elements. The Mets have always worn pinstripes, they've won two championships in pinstripes, and to imply that they only wear them to ape of the Yankees is pretty ignorant. The White Sox, Senators, Cubs, Phillies, Reds, and Twins all also wore pinstripes around that time. It was just something that looked good on a damned uniform. Jeez.

No, the Yankees don't own pinstripes, but they have become so synonymous to the team that, IMO, it's a mistake for an other team within the same city to use them.

Take the Dodgers and Angles, for example. No, the Dodgers don't own the rights to a blue and white colour scheme, but it would seem like a failed attempt to emulate them if the Angles were to adopt it.

LA has red vs blue. NY should have snow white vs pinstriped.

So the White Sox should ditch the pinstripes because they are copying the Cubs?

The Cubs aren't known for pinstripes though. If the Sox came out wearing just a C on their hats when they wore blue, you could say they were copying the Cubs.

Copying an entire scheme is a lot different than sharing a design element that a good number of teams utilize.

The Mets have worn pinstripes for 46 years now. I don't think people are confusing them with the Yankees. It's an established itentity at this point, and a darned good look. Keep 'em!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have a problem with the Mets in pinstripes. The fact that they have a script on the chest as opposed to the NY is enough to differentiate them from the Yankees.

That being said, the sans-stripe jerseys just look better IMO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Mets Pinstripes are Royal Blue

The Yankees Pinstripes are Midnight Navy

The Mets Pinstripes are printed on their uniforms

The Yankees Pinstripes are lasered into the fabric

The Mets Pinstripes are used on an inset style jersey

The Yankees Pinstripes are ragulan style

---------------------------

The Mets need to get rid of the all black uniforms. I know this year there will be only one but it is time for that to go. Keep the white home alternate and create a royal blue alternate. The is one on MLB.com that I believe would be perfect. I don't mind the black shadow as long as they minimize it abit.

Not a fan of the new Reds stuff. That old-time typeface is such an affectation. The Reds should be as minimalist in the NL as the Yankees are in the AL. No superfluous piping, drop-shadows, alternates, or any of that. The 1970 set would be a good example of how to do it.

You know what, I don't think the Mets would look good in a blue alternate. I've made some mock-ups of it and it doesn't work for me. Dunno why.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Yankees don't own pinstripes as a design elements. The Mets have always worn pinstripes, they've won two championships in pinstripes, and to imply that they only wear them to ape of the Yankees is pretty ignorant. The White Sox, Senators, Cubs, Phillies, Reds, and Twins all also wore pinstripes around that time. It was just something that looked good on a damned uniform. Jeez.

No, the Yankees don't own pinstripes, but they have become so synonymous to the team that, IMO, it's a mistake for an other team within the same city to use them.

Take the Dodgers and Angles, for example. No, the Dodgers don't own the rights to a blue and white colour scheme, but it would seem like a failed attempt to emulate them if the Angles were to adopt it.

LA has red vs blue. NY should have snow white vs pinstriped.

So the White Sox should ditch the pinstripes because they are copying the Cubs?

The Cubs aren't known for pinstripes though. If the Sox came out wearing just a C on their hats when they wore blue, you could say they were copying the Cubs.

Copying an entire scheme is a lot different than sharing a design element that a good number of teams utilize.

The Mets have worn pinstripes for 46 years now. I don't think people are confusing them with the Yankees. It's an established itentity at this point, and a darned good look. Keep 'em!

I'm not saying people will confuse the two, just that it's using a design element that a nearby team has already established as sort of a trademark.

You wouldn't start another pro hockey team in Montréal and give them Habs-styled torso stripes would you?

You know what, I don't think the Mets would look good in a blue alternate. I've made some mock-ups of it and it doesn't work for me. Dunno why.

Well they could always go for "no alternate."

Mets Patch Report

Watch the video above (click on the text) - the video about the Mets' patch is in the first 90 sec. of the video, the rest is not.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Stephen C. Colbert makes fun of the new Mets sleeve patch:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-r...nkey-on-the-lam

Watch the bit he does on PeTA right after. It's pretty funny too. :D

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Stephen C. Colbert makes fun of the new Mets sleeve patch:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-r...nkey-on-the-lam

Watch the bit he does on PeTA right after. It's pretty funny too. :D

This video was sooo three posts ago. :blink:

Whoops! My bad. Mistakes happen.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived