Mountain West Conference seeks Automatic BCS Berth

Gary

Air Force vs Florida in the Sugar Bowl!!

But seriously this would be great for the MWC if they get that automatic bid.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

I will predict that eventually the BCS will include all DI conferences with one at-large spot. Will this happen next year? Nope, but I figure in 10-15 years it's very possible. This is just step one.

Even if the Mountain West Conference can get a team in the BCS, they will never have a team play in the National Championship Game. Instead, the MWC winner will get matched up with the SEC or Big East champ in the Sugar Bowl, and even if they win, they'll finish in the Top 5 at best.

6uXNWAo.png

The automatic BCS bid ain't gonna happen, but I admire the hell out of them for even trying. If they could just pilfer the WAC's football "power" programs, they'd have a better shot. Still a long shot, but not as big of a long shot. They'd really have to get 3 or so more at-large spots by the time the BCS contract is up in 5 years to have a strong enough argument to go back to the table.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

They will get turned down, the BCS Conferences don't want to split up the money anymore than they have to and besides the top 3 teams the Mtn. West is on par with the MAC.

TIME!

The Mountain West's top 3 teams (Utah, BYU and TCU) were in the BCS Top 16 this season. Utah, who got in the BCS, finished higher then the conference champions from the Big Ten (Penn State), the Big East (Cincinnati) and the ACC (Virginia Tech). Not to mention that Utah and TCU finished in the Top 8 in the AP Poll.

If anything, they have a legit reason to seek an auto berth. If they do get it, then you'll see the MWC winner play in the Fiesta Bowl if it doesn't reach the National Championship Game.

The automatic BCS bid ain't gonna happen, but I admire the hell out of them for even trying. If they could just pilfer the WAC's football "power" programs, they'd have a better shot. Still a long shot, but not as big of a long shot. They'd really have to get 3 or so more at-large spots by the time the BCS contract is up in 5 years to have a strong enough argument to go back to the table.

Reportedly they're trying to. I think adding Boise State and Fresno State to the fold could work quite nicely for them.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Who knows this should expand recruiting for the Mountain West more of the better talent from that region will not overlook the schools that compete in the Mountain West.

Hopefully they get approved

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

What's killing teams like Boise State and Utah and the like, is not the automatic berths, but rather the polls. Think about this. Florida started this year at I think number 12 in the preseason polls, just think where Utah would've been had they started at number 18 or even 14. Preseason polls are a joke and are not based on anything at all. Let the teams play a month and then you rank them. I guarantee some of these schools that really don't perform well during the season wouldn't be as good as they are. The rankings screw teams over more than anything else does. A preseason team ranked outside of the top 25 has to work twice as hard to get into a BCS game than does a team started ranked in the top 5. If they waited until October to release all polls then you'd get rid of this nonsense about you're allowed to lose early. They can let as many teams get automatic qualified berths into BCS games, but you're still going to have that stupid element of preseason polls actually determining who gets the birth and who doesn't.

What's killing teams like Boise State and Utah and the like, is not the automatic berths, but rather the polls. Think about this. Florida started this year at I think number 12 in the preseason polls, just think where Utah would've been had they started at number 18 or even 14. Preseason polls are a joke and are not based on anything at all. Let the teams play a month and then you rank them. I guarantee some of these schools that really don't perform well during the season wouldn't be as good as they are. The rankings screw teams over more than anything else does. A preseason team ranked outside of the top 25 has to work twice as hard to get into a BCS game than does a team started ranked in the top 5. If they waited until October to release all polls then you'd get rid of this nonsense about you're allowed to lose early. They can let as many teams get automatic qualified berths into BCS games, but you're still going to have that stupid element of preseason polls actually determining who gets the birth and who doesn't.

In 2007, South Florida went from unranked to #2 in the country (including the BCS) in like 6 week's time, and they're hardly a traditional football power. The preseason polls aren't that much of a factor in keeping teams from getting in the top-5.

In 2007, South Florida went from unranked to #2 in the country (including the BCS) in like 6 week's time, and they're hardly a traditional football power. The preseason polls aren't that much of a factor in keeping teams from getting in the top-5.

However, South Florida's rise was very much aided by their position in a BCS conference and the rash of upsets that characterized the 2007 season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Reportedly they're trying to. I think adding Boise State and Fresno State to the fold could work quite nicely for them.

Well, tonight on ESPN Radio (with Doug Gottleib), I heard that the Mtn. West is not looking into adding teams. I am not sure if it was a writer or Craig Thompson (Commissioner), but this source claimed they were fine as a 9 team conference. Something which was also talked about was the fact that their bowl tie-ins are at home stadiums for their teams (UNM, UNLV, TCU, SDSU). that and the choice to use Versus and a forming a network which is not carried in your largest market, Dallas-Fort Worth, does not help them.

I also think that the MWC is far superior than the MAC and WAC.

I do find it interesting that today ESPN announced an extension with the MAC and they have the BCS conference. Could this be the next step of my idea of all BCS conference champions meeting in BCS games? It may be coincidental that ESPN announced this, but since they will in the future have the BCS, maybe this is the beginning of the the reshaping of the BCS.

Aren't they adding the Cotton Bowl to the BCS when it moves to the Cowboys' new stadium next year? Would make sense to add another conference (or 2) to the mix as well. I'd definately say the Mountain West and probably Conference USA. If the MWC added Utah, Boise State AND Hawaii, they'd have the 12 teams for a Championship game and would only strengthen the conference's standing within the BCS.

Aren't they adding the Cotton Bowl to the BCS when it moves to the Cowboys' new stadium next year? Would make sense to add another conference (or 2) to the mix as well. I'd definately say the Mountain West and probably Conference USA. If the MWC added Utah, Boise State AND Hawaii, they'd have the 12 teams for a Championship game and would only strengthen the conference's standing within the BCS.

Matt Utah is already part of the MWC

Matt Utah is already part of the MWC

I meant Freson. I was gonna mention the additional teams PLUS Utah's success this season, and I got a little mixed up when typing it. I do it all the time.

Stop making fun of my biotch, dyslexia. :D

Archived