Sharks 7th Man Award

Puckguy14

If it were me, my guesses are Philadelphia and Nashville are up against me. Granted some teams didn't mention their contest and some mentioned their name only. Philly's 7th Man started a charity hockey game with Flyers alumni while Nashville's 7th Man bought tickets for kids so they can experience their first Preds game.

Oh I'm in trouble I think.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who's the babe behind your head, might I ask? :P

Looks like tough competition, Erik, but keep the faith!

The "babe" that is hidden behind the pom poms is Tracy St. George, a DJ for Atlanta's WWWQ-FM aka Q100. Another friend of mine used to work there and she sent me her fellow DJ's picture.

I'm trying to keep the head up. It's tough because a decision was supposed to be made almost 3 weeks ago and if I win, within a week I have to tell my boss I'm off to NYC and the site of Game 1 of the Cup Finals (which has been announced that will start Tuesday, May 25 at 5pm PT)

Well best wishes to you puckguy--but not to the Sharks--better update that signature--close series though could go 7 games easily!

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Well best wishes to you puckguy

Yeah, definetely -- Ya got me pulling for you. if you'd prefer -- I can take out those Nashville and Philadelphia guys for you for a small fee :rolleyes:

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm trying to keep the head up. It's tough because a decision was supposed to be made almost 3 weeks ago and if I win, within a week I have to tell my boss I'm off to NYC and the site of Game 1 of the Cup Finals (which has been announced that will start Tuesday, May 25 at 5pm PT)

So potentially, you could be flying all the way to NYC to hang out with Gary and then fly all the way back to SJ for the opening game. That'd seem a bit odd, but I'd take it anyday.

I'm rooting for ya! I think we all are!

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I'm thinking the opening game of the finals will be in Pilly or Tampa Bay--at least I hope it is...

Tampa Bay has home ice for the Finals no matter who they play.

And as I've been telling people for the past several months, Game 5 of the Finals is indeed scheduled for my birthday. :D (Last year, Game 4 could have been played on the 3rd, but WWE RAW at the Pond hindered that. Oh well, I'll still remember how Game 4 ended at 12:01 AM AST on my birthday when Steve Thomas tied the series 39 seconds into OT. :))

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

But at the time it could have been San Jose-Philly--in which case game 1 would be in San Jose.

If the Flyers do come back, game 1 is in Philly--so Tampa Bay--while likely, is not a guarantee...

So my comment meant since I'm a Flames fan the Flames would be in it (& now they are) and it doesn't matter who wins the East--the Flames start the Finals on the road...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

THIS JUST IN...

Congratulations go out to Theresa Gould, the Minnesota Wild's 7th man, as she was named the NHL's 7th Man of the Year.

http://www.wild.com/fans/008/277/

NEW YORK (May 24, 2004) ? Theresa Gould, a Minnesota Wild fan from Ramsey, Minn., has been named the winner of the second annual NHL 7th Man Award. Gould will fly to NHL headquarters in New York City on Thursday to become Commissioner for a Day and then to Tampa to participate in a ceremonial opening face-off prior to Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final. In addition, she will receive a pair of tickets to the World Cup of Hockey USA vs. Russia to be played in St. Paul at the Xcel Energy Center on September 2.

Gould was nominated by her daughter Laura. In her essay, Laura wrote: ?if a seventh man was added to the team, my mom would be perfect, not for her strength or speed, but for her love and dedication to the game. Her love of hockey didn't start as a young child, nor as a teenager but as a mother when my older sister started playing hockey. She learned everything from equipment to the rules of the game. She also managed my sister?s team? and has three kids still in youth hockey. She recently volunteered at the NHL All-Star Game. When my sister (Niki) passed away in high school, even through her grief she was thinking of the girl?s hockey team, which my sister played on. All of my sister?s memorial money went to suiting up the Varsity and JV teams, which she designed and embroidered. One of these jerseys is displayed at the Xcel Energy Center. You can?t miss my mom in a crowd; always wearing a Wild sweater, a tattoo on her face, a Wild hardhat with blinking lights?And she drives a red PT Cruiser with the license plate, WLD4WLD. If anyone deserves to be the seventh man, my mom definitely does. Her love of the team has driven her to every game whether the Wild is winning or losing, because my mom believes the Wild will always be the best team on the ice.?

Gould was chosen from among 30 team winners by an expert panel of ABC and CBC hockey analyst John Davidson; ESPN announcer Linda Cohn; TSN hockey analyst Pierre McGuire; actress/hockey fan Whoopi Goldberg; entertainer and hockey enthusiast Denis Leary; last year?s 7th Man Award winner Roger Farina; and NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman.

?Theresa?s dedication and loyalty reflect our fans? passion for, and connection to, our game,? Commissioner Bettman said. ?This was not an easy decision since there were many worthy seventh man candidates. We are thrilled to be honoring a fan like Theresa. She is the embodiment of the NHL.?

The NHL introduced the 7th Man Award last season in celebration of its fans? dedication, passion and loyalty. The 30 NHL Clubs recently honored their respective 7th Man winners, each of whom earned a chance to compete for the League-wide honor.

Fans in the United States and Canada were able to enter by logging on to NHL.com or team websites and submitting an essay of up to 250 words describing their qualifications as the 7th Man of their favorite team. The fan whose essay best exemplified dedication, passion and loyalty to the NHL and to his or her favorite team was named the respective Club?s local winner.

Entrants were judged on the following criteria:

1. How the nominee best exemplifies the attributes of an NHL fan through his or her dedication, passion and loyalty to the NHL and their favorite team.

2. The extent to which the nominee incorporates ?fandom? into their everyday life and that of their family and friends.

3. The extent of the nominee?s use of their favorite team colors and logo.

Look at the bright side, Eric. The guys from Philly and Nashville didn't win, either!

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Eric, you should be proud of your achievement in getting to the final round. It would appear that the winner's horrible tragedy in losing a child at a young age likely set her apart from the other finalists. Be thankful that, in that respect, your resume's didn't measure up equally.

Congratulations to you on your accomplishments, you are a great asset to your team, to the NHL and to the sport of hockey. "Official" recognition is secondary to the knowledge you should have that you are among a very elite group of superfans.

Eric, you should be proud of your achievement in getting to the final round. It would appear that the winner's horrible tragedy in losing a child at a young age likely set her apart from the other finalists. Be thankful that, in that respect, your resume's didn't measure up equally.

Congratulations to you on your accomplishments, you are a great asset to your team, to the NHL and to the sport of hockey. "Official" recognition is secondary to the knowledge you should have that you are among a very elite group of superfans.

Well said, well said.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

It would appear that the winner's horrible tragedy in losing a child at a young age likely set her apart from the other finalists.

This is the problem that I have with the contest. Not to disrespect that woman's loss, of course, but because none of us have a sob story to tell, that makes us not big enough fans? Because we didn't get shipped off to Iraq and take a team flag with us (last year's winner), we don't care enough?

But that's just my complaint about the contest in general. Back to what's important...

Congrats again to Puckguy, any other year and you probably would have had it.

Thanks guys, I appriciate it. Still tough, because I thought I had a real chance at it. Oh well. And for the record I did get the official email from the NHL today. So it is completely official...even if they spelled my name with a "C" (its Erik, for those who don't know.)

Archived