MLB Civil Rights Game identity package question

spyboy1

Has anyone ever heard an explanation why, during the annual Civil Rights Game, the teams identity packages are reduced to such generic looks?

I've never heard the rationale behind the over-simplification of the uniforms for this event. Is it supposed to convey some sort of meaning, because if it's supposed to, it's lost on me.

30d1b.jpeg

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I don't know, but those wordmarks make quite the Impact.

Perhaps it's something to do with the line of thinking that in civil rights, we should all be treated alike, without exception, so a flashy wordmark on the front conflicts with that? I dunno, I'm just pulling things out of the air.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I think the intent behind the uniform simplicity is supposed to mimick traditional Negro league uniform design, creating a throwback feel.

That being said, I LOVE the Civil Rights Mets version. I actually think, paired with the blue cap, that's a winning throwback, alternate set. The incorporation of orange in the piping is beautifully done.

sig2024.png

I don't know, but those wordmarks make quite the Impact.

Perhaps it's something to do with the line of thinking that in civil rights, we should all be treated alike, without exception, so a flashy wordmark on the front conflicts with that? I dunno, I'm just pulling things out of the air.

I'll admit, I chuckled.

Because the Indianapolis Clowns and the Baltimore Elite Giants were so understated....

lol, exactly.

I can understand them going to the simplistic look for the game...but come on, they could do much better than slapping an impact script on a baseball uniform.

• 4 months later...

Bump, since the 2009 Civil Rights game is going on. I'm not sure what era uniforms the Reds or White Sox are using, but they're definitely NOT the generic ones used in previous seasons. The Reds are wearing white pinstriped vests with navy blue trim (definitely NOT the Riverfront/Cinergy package), and the White Sox are wearing baby blue road jerseys.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

Just caught it on the Sox pregame that Chicago's are from 1964.Only saw a glimpse but they did look baby blue.

Both the Reds and White Sox are wearing retro uniforms from 1964. I think it's to honor Frank Robinson, who is throwing out the first pitch. I'm pretty sure the Reds' trim is supposed to be black. The first 20,000 fans received a mesh replica of Frank Robinson's 1964 Reds' jersey.

Just caught it on the Sox pregame that Chicago's are from 1964.Only saw a glimpse but they did look baby blue.

Both the Reds and White Sox are wearing retro uniforms from 1964. I think it's to honor Frank Robinson, who is throwing out the first pitch. The first 20,000 fans received a mesh replica of Frank Robinson's 1964 Reds' jersey.

both teams are wearing 1964 throwbacks to honor the civil rights act that was signed in 1964

Both the Reds and White Sox are wearing retro uniforms from 1964. I think it's to honor Frank Robinson, who is throwing out the first pitch. I'm pretty sure the Reds' trim is supposed to be black. The first 20,000 fans received a mesh replica of Frank Robinson's 1964 Reds' jersey.

I think the trim around the vest is black too. If I remember correctly, the Reds wore the trim around one sleeve one year in memory of someboy that had died then added it to both sleeves the next year because they liked the look of the black trim.

The Sox uniforms are interesting because they have the player's number on the right sleeve. Having the number on the sleeve is pretty rare, as is having something on the right sleeve and not the left.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

They do such a good job on the uniforms, and then they forget to finish it off with stirrups and the proper batting helmets in the Sox case. If you're going to do it, then do it right or don't do it at all.

Just tuned back in and got a better look (and more time to comment). I liked the generic jerseys as unique one-offs for the Memphis exhibitions, but I like the occasion-appropriate 1964 unis even better.

MLB also was facing the prospect of having the White Sox go two years straight with the same generic uni.

Still love the Reds in pinstriped caps, too.

They do such a good job on the uniforms, and then they forget to finish it off with stirrups and the proper batting helmets in the Sox case. If you're going to do it, then do it right or don't do it at all.

Not so fast my friend

DJ Carrasco says otherwise

(edit:screencapture)

crgsox.jpg

Archived