2009 NASCAR Season

BrySmalls

I know it's a bit of an outside shot, but I'm really cheering for Mark Martin to do well this year. He's pretty much the only driver on that list who had driven in a Winston Cup (I will forever call it that) race before 1990.

No Morgan-McClure #4 this year? That's got to be the first time since at least 1988. I've been used to seeing that #4 (always the same font) over the years.

Actually, the #4 did not run last year, and I doubt we'll see it on the track ever again because Larry McLure is doing jail time due to tax evasion. But as far as favorites for the season go, it starts and ends with the 48. I know the cliche media pick is Carl Edwards and I know a lot of people say he was the hottest at the end of the year which makes me laugh becuase Jimmie Johnson started with fewer points than Carl and won the title over Carl, so would someone explain to me how Carl was hotter when Jimmie scored more points? It makes me scratch my head. I'm not a Jimmie Johnson fan, but you have to respect what he and Chad Knaus are doing. As far as favorite drivers... well I grew up a Petty fan, Richard and Kyle, and whoever drove the 43, but I am not rooting for Reed Sorenson as he's just an average driver. I will root for AJ Allmendinger and probably my favorites right now are Jeff Burton, Tony Stewart, Clint Bowyer, and Kevin Harvick. I love Harvick because he's such a pain in the arse. Then again, I love Kyle Busch because everyone seems to hate him. :P

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

man, i'm so used to having the Preseason Daytona Testing as an appetizer for the upcoming season. This year with testing banned, I had completely forgotten that Speedweeks were underway, and across the bottom ticker i saw "Harvick Wins Bud Shootout!" That means The 500 is right around the corner!

Probably the most turnover in Team/Drivers that I can every remember in one offseason.

My long-time favourite driver: Robby Gordon. Don't hate. I've been a fan of his since his Trans-Am days, all the way through CART, IRL and NASCAR. He's a big underdog as an owner/driver, but I've always had his back through all his "controversies."

Second Fav would have to be JP Montoya, and then Casey Mears (noticing a trend here?)

man, i'm so used to having the Preseason Daytona Testing as an appetizer for the upcoming season. This year with testing banned, I had completely forgotten that Speedweeks were underway, and across the bottom ticker i saw "Harvick Wins Bud Shootout!" That means The 500 is right around the corner!

Probably the most turnover in Team/Drivers that I can every remember in one offseason.

My long-time favourite driver: Robby Gordon. Don't hate. I've been a fan of his since his Trans-Am days, all the way through CART, IRL and NASCAR. He's a big underdog as an owner/driver, but I've always had his back through all his "controversies."

Second Fav would have to be JP Montoya, and then Casey Mears (noticing a trend here?)

Do you like the open wheel guys? :D

With Robby Gordon being a Toyota, I think he can win a road course race.

The ban of Daytona testing has certainly shown. The cars are all over the place.

Do you like the open wheel guys? :D

With Robby Gordon being a Toyota, I think he can win a road course race.

The ban of Daytona testing has certainly shown. The cars are all over the place.

I like seeing the open-wheelers do well in Nascar. My favorite drivers are Smoke, Carl Edwards, and Ryan Newman. JPM and Carpentier (last year) are sentimental favorites. I was very excited to see Newman and Stewart on the same team this year, and from the way they ran in qualifying, and Smoke in the shootout, I think they're a team that will be serious contenders!

Rusty Wallace was now it's Jeff Burton but Dale Jr and Tony Stewart are some of my favorites as well

Looking ahead to this season expect Jamie McMurray to break out and get into the Chase and the resurgence of Matt Kenseth, I also think that Stewart/Haas might struggle early on in the season and to get either or both Tony and Ryan somehow in the chase but a bubble position is more realistic

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'm not a big Nascar fan (which ticks off my die-hard Nascar buddies in Fantasy Nascar, as I've won the league the past two seasons), but I'll watch it on occasion, especially when it's on Fox.

I wish Fox were able to pick up the entire Nascar season instead of just half. The TNT/ESPN half is just less exciting......

Jamie McMurray is the preverbial talented guy that in stick and ball sports gets coaches and GMs fired. He'll do something, what once every four or five years, and then a whole lot of nothing! I'm starting to think that Casey Mears is the same way, just talented guys who can win, but will only win once every four or five years. I figure in 2011 we'll see Casey Mears somewhere else, and deffinately next year see Jamie McMurray somewhere else. They are just one step above Elliott Sadler and Reed Sorenson.

I'm not a big Nascar fan (which ticks off my die-hard Nascar buddies in Fantasy Nascar, as I've won the league the past two seasons), but I'll watch it on occasion, especially when it's on Fox.

I wish Fox were able to pick up the entire Nascar season instead of just half. The TNT/ESPN half is just less exciting...... sucks by comparison.

You're being kind. Hope you don't mind. I fixed the post for you.

BB52Big.jpg

Jamie McMurray is the preverbial talented guy that in stick and ball sports gets coaches and GMs fired. He'll do something, what once every four or five years, and then a whole lot of nothing! I'm starting to think that Casey Mears is the same way, just talented guys who can win, but will only win once every four or five years. I figure in 2011 we'll see Casey Mears somewhere else, and deffinately next year see Jamie McMurray somewhere else. They are just one step above Elliott Sadler and Reed Sorenson.

I can't believe Reed Sorenson still has a cup ride. That guy's team probably throws a party if he finishes above 30th. I think Sadler would be better on a different team. Last year Gillette-Evernham probably put the bulk of their resources into the #9 car.

BB52Big.jpg

I wish Fox were able to pick up the entire Nascar season instead of just half. The TNT/ESPN half is just less exciting...... sucks by comparison.

You're being kind. Hope you don't mind. I fixed the post for you.

Actually infrared, that's spot on. I loathed the days when the Nascar season switched from FOX to NBC.

TNT sucks because of Bill Weber. Fix Network sucks well because it's Fix, and yes I typed Fix on purpose, but they suck because they employ quite possibly the most unknowledgeable person is sports in Chris Meyers who knows nothing! We know after 8 or 9 years that you did not know that! You're an idiot. Oh yeah, and why does Fix insist on having a blimp in the booth? Oh wait, that's not the Goodyear blimp, it's Mike Joy! The guy needs to get back on pit road, lose about 100 pounds and just talk once an hour, then the broadcast would be so much better. 3 hours of Mike Joy? He's only good when we hear from him once an hour, can we get Rick Allen on the broadcast?

TNT sucks because of Bill Weber. Fix Network sucks well because it's Fix, and yes I typed Fix on purpose, but they suck because they employ quite possibly the most unknowledgeable person is sports in Chris Meyers who knows nothing! We know after 8 or 9 years that you did not know that! You're an idiot. Oh yeah, and why does Fix insist on having a blimp in the booth? Oh wait, that's not the Goodyear blimp, it's Mike Joy! The guy needs to get back on pit road, lose about 100 pounds and just talk once an hour, then the broadcast would be so much better. 3 hours of Mike Joy? He's only good when we hear from him once an hour, can we get Rick Allen on the broadcast?

I like Mike Joy and think he's better than Jerry Punch. I can't stand Andy Petree either and think Larry Mac has more to offer, plus DW is more entertaining. However, I don't mind Dale Jarrett for ESPN.

8prlQWA.png

i really like mike joy, and i like fox's presentation overall much better.

however, i cant stand larry mac, DW, and their constant butchering of the english language. boogity boogity boogity, 'sperience, slickery....all made-up words that wern't funny the first time and certain aren't after being repeated race after race.

the best nascar announcing team of all time was Mike Joy, Ned Jarrett and Buddy Baker, with Ken Squier as the Race Host and Dr. Jerry Punch in the pits. I also really miss Benny Parsons.

CBS needs to get back in or NBC I personally can't stand FOX it makes NASCAR look like it's still a southern comedic type deal the music, pit reporters aren't that great and Chris Myers is the worst Pre Race host ever.

Fox can't do anything right they should get out of sports all together maybe keep the MLB or NFL

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

There shouldn't be prerace shows. Hell, if you don't know what's going on, then don't tune in. There's nothing worse than a pregame show!

Now this, I can agree with.

Back in the day, the Daytona 500 used to start at 12:30pm. Nowadays, the race is ending under the lights. Just about every race that's run during Standard Time is ending under the lights now. No race really needs an hour's worth (or more) of predictions and grabass.

CBS needs to get back in or NBC I personally can't stand FOX it makes NASCAR look like it's still a southern comedic type deal the music, pit reporters aren't that great and Chris Myers is the worst Pre Race host ever.

Fox can't do anything right they should get out of sports all together maybe keep the MLB or NFL

FOX makes it watchable and listenable, they have better sound than both ABC and TNT. FOX is in 1080i too. It also helps with their relationship with Speed. NASCAR Raceday is possibly the best "pregame" show out there. Myers is not on that much, so it does not really matter to me. Pit reporters are equal everywhere; mostly spare. Just having a scanner would be a nice idea for a lap or two. I generally use teh john when I know he will be on during a caution.

The TNT section of the series is the part which nobody really cares about as they have the road courses.

NBC was terrible and was possibly doomed when they got the contract as Allan Bestwick injured himself and they were forced to go with Bill Weber as lead.

Sidenote: ISC said that Daytona will be resurfaced for the 2012 season. A little late in my book.

As I watched highlights of the 1979 Daytona 500, I just figured out what the problem is. The problem is that the races and all of sports is so over-produced that it no longer feels real to the viewer at home. They have so many graphics, and so many facts, and so many reporters, and so many cameras, and so many blabbering announcers that it's no longer about the racing, but about how much someone can talk about what they know about the sport or what's going on, that they ignore the actual racing on the track. I want a play by play man calling the action, a color guy to add some insight, and pit reporters who talk maybe once an hour on something that is important to know. There's too much talking and too much fancy crap on the screen, that you miss half the race. It's why I enjoy the NHRA broadcast so much more, it's just Paul Page and Mike Dunn and a little bit of information when it's warranted. Until the broadcast pull back on all the crap, it doesn't matter which race is shown by which network, it's just going to cover up the actual on track stuff. Oh and TNT only covers one road course, and I am one who would prefer that there be more road courses and fewer races on 1.5 mile tracks.

Archived