NCAA revises uniform regulations

Sodboy13

Per today's UniWatch, it appears the NCAA has had a change of heart about its timeout penalty:

Uni Watch News Ticker: No more forfeited timeouts! Yesterday the NCAA issued lots of football rules revisions, including one pertaining to color-vs.-color games: ?[The rules committee] approved a request to allow teams, when approved by the conference office and agreed to by both teams, to wear colored jerseys as long as they are clearly contrasting in color. When agreement is unable to be reached, the visiting team shall wear white.?

I know some feel like there should always be one team clad in white, but I don't, and I love the prospect of more color vs. color matchups. And since conference offices will still have to give the go-ahead on any such matchups, we likely won't have to deal with anything along the lines of the Illinois-Wisconsin orange vs. red debacle of a few years back.

I'm already intrigued as to what this could possibly mean for this year's Oregon-Oregon State game.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I love the prospect of more color vs. color matchups. And since conference offices will still have to give the go-ahead on any such matchups, we likely won't have to deal with anything along the lines of the Illinois-Wisconsin orange vs. red debacle of a few years back.

Maybe because the red's a little darker on one side and the orange is much lighter on the other, and there's a lot more tradition to it -- but I think Alabama-Tennessee could putt that off.

But it opens the door for much more conversation here.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I love the prospect of more color vs. color matchups. And since conference offices will still have to give the go-ahead on any such matchups, we likely won't have to deal with anything along the lines of the Illinois-Wisconsin orange vs. red debacle of a few years back.

Maybe because the red's a little darker on one side and the orange is much lighter on the other, and there's a lot more tradition to it -- but I think Alabama-Tennessee could pull that off.

But it opens the door for much more conversation here.

That was the first thing that I thought of. That is going to look so good if they decide to go back to doing that. Texas-Oklahoma could do that as well, plus it would make sense on a neutral field. This is a great idea, I love that the NCAA finally got some common sense about themselves.

With that said...I don't think that Michigan would ever allow Ohio State to wear red in the Big House, and vice versa. Some things just go too far.

how about Notre Dame vs USC in the home unis

Not likely. Reminds me a few years back when the Cowboys and Redskins both wore dark-colored throwback uniforms for a Thanksgiving game. To me, it made it VERY difficult to pick the two apart on quick glance.

I imagine they would employ something along the lines of a black-and-white test. If you could easily pick the colors apart when shot on black-and-white film, then they could be worn together. If not, they can't.

USC-UCLA would work. So would Tennessee-Florida. Wisconsin-Ohio State? Not a chance. :)

how about Notre Dame vs USC in the home unis

Not likely. Reminds me a few years back when the Cowboys and Redskins both wore dark-colored throwback uniforms for a Thanksgiving game. To me, it made it VERY difficult to pick the two apart on quick glance.

I imagine they would employ something along the lines of a black-and-white test. If you could easily pick the colors apart when shot on black-and-white film, then they could be worn together. If not, they can't.

USC-UCLA would work. So would Tennessee-Florida. Wisconsin-Ohio State? Not a chance. :)

I like this idea. There needs to be enough contrast so black/white pictures are not confusing. Plus you have to think of the population of people in who are color blind. Not only could it be hard to distinguish for people on TV, but if any players are color blind you have to account for that.

But as long as there is a clear distinction then I would enjoy seeing this once in a while.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Could this be the forebearer of "clash" unis for football? I know teams already have alternate uniforms, but some may ditch white completely in favor of just using dark and light colored unis (I'm looking at you Oregon).

Well, yellow would be their best bet, but what would they do if an opposing school who they were going on the road to play, did not approve. They would then have to wear white. So, white jerseys will still have to be in existence. Remember, the other school/league/NCAA would have to approve on a case-by-case basis. And some are color match-ups are simply not going to work, so teams will have to keep a white jersey.

Could this be the forebearer of "clash" unis for football? I know teams already have alternate uniforms, but some may ditch white completely in favor of just using dark and light colored unis (I'm looking at you Oregon).

Well, yellow would be their best bet, but what would they do if an opposing school who they were going on the road to play, did not approve. They would then have to wear white. So, white jerseys will still have to be in existence. Remember, the other school/league/NCAA would have to approve on a case-by-case basis. And some are color match-ups are simply not going to work, so teams will have to keep a white jersey.

Not necessarily any time soon, but I'm wondering if down the line it'll be acceptable to not have a white uniform. If the NCAA approved this they may approve teams having no need for white uniforms.

spacer.png

Not necessarily any time soon, but I'm wondering if down the line it'll be acceptable to not have a white uniform. If the NCAA approved this they may approve teams having no need for white uniforms.

IIRC Norfolk State doesn't have a white uniform.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Chattanooga has the wonderfully disgusting yellow top as their home and road too.

I think this rule change would be cool for small schools too. MTSU/WKU? MTSU/Troy?

Let's just not use this as an excuse for more black uniforms where they don't belong. I could so see that coming into play because it "clashes" with things that aren't dark blue, dark purple, or dark red. Ugh.

AUSPole.pngWAT2nd.png

Go Gators. Go Blue Raiders. Go Commodores. Go USC Trojans.

Preds & Avs.

Braves, Rays, & Dodgers.

Titans, Colts, Broncos, Cardinals.

Grizzlies. 14ers, Jam.

Team Spirit + Laziness = Yay.

Archived