Bohob's MLB Redesign Project

bohob

Also of note in reference to the red numbers is that, at a distance, it helps differentiate the Dodgers' jerseys (uniforms?) from those of the KC Royals, whose are virtually identical to the Dodgers.

Understandable view. However, I have plans for the Royals to help differentiate them from the Dodgers. And McCall, good point on the comparison to the Lakers nickname. LA is a car culture, so emphasizing the trolley aspect is probably not the way to go.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, going back and commenting on a few of these....

Marlins: I love this, the colors are spot-on for a marine type name, and, although I'm not always a fan of the two toned number, this looks good.

Dbacks: The DB in the middle of the Diamondbacks mark is cool, it obviously reminds me of Sportscenter. This is a nicely done set, but the one thing I will say I don't like the the two sand/yellow shades, one would be better.

Padres: yeah, the all yellow is putrid, I know the Padres are probably the only team that can make this work, but still, I've never really liked the scheme. Brown, in my mind, doesn't really belong with yellow. A navy/cream/orange theme might look good.

Dodgers: not anything drastic, but good. I agree with you about getting rid of red, and the diamond on the patch is actually a nice touch. White hats are kinda collegiate, but I guess this isn't too bad.

I think most of your concepts are improvements over what the teams wear, though. Good stuff.

Just to play devil's advocate and go in with a different point of view...

I think the set would look awesome if just a hint of red was added everywhere. Just an outline to the scripts (especially on the away uniform, the script gets lost in the two color-ness of it all) and the numbers or something. I know you were going for a classic look, and it's definitely an improvement, but I think a little bit of red could make things look less drab and give it some pop.

OT: please please please nobody attack me on the use of "pop" as an adjective to describe something. we've heard it before, I don't need to again.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Just to play devil's advocate and go in with a different point of view...

I think the set would look awesome if just a hint of red was added everywhere. Just an outline to the scripts (especially on the away uniform, the script gets lost in the two color-ness of it all) and the numbers or something. I know you were going for a classic look, and it's definitely an improvement, but I think a little bit of red could make things look less drab and give it some pop.

OT: please please please nobody attack me on the use of "pop" as an adjective to describe something. we've heard it before, I don't need to again.

It's an interesting idea, but IMO the blue-red combo is reserved (at least in this series :D) for the Cubs and Rangers. I've been trying to avoid repeating color schemes, and that's why I went the blue/white direction.

Adding the diamond to the Dodgers logo is blaze. Gives a proper boundary and proper context to a logo that always seemed an afterthought and to just float there. But I agree with the others, the lack of red numbers makes the whole look kind of plain and robs the dodgers look of its uniqueness considering that so many teams use a script wordmark with a tail.

Keep up the great work with this project.

#15 COLORADO ROCKIES: PREVIEW

OK? I generally like to unveil a concept when everything is finished, but I would like some advice. Option 1 features blue highlights on the mountain and white text, while Option 2 features white highlights and blue text. Plus if anyone wants to critique any other part of this, feel free.

rockies_logo.jpg

#15 COLORADO ROCKIES: FULL CONCEPT

Well, you've seen the primary, so starting with the secondary, the C around the circle is a reference to the Colorado state flag. The tertiary is a patch-style logo the is the paired-down version of the hat logo. With the uniforms, I used mountain trim on the sleeves. They aren't the craziest uni's I've ever done, but I really wanted to focus on the purple, which is now darker. The roads are sky blue and say COLORADO on the chest. The Sunday Alt features subtle pinstripes in sky blue with the mountain trim taken a step further. The C is also used as a crest and the hats are sky blue with the eyelets in purple. I've worked pretty hard on this, so C&C it up. B)

rockies_id.jpg

rockies_home.jpg

rockies_away.jpg

rockies_bp.jpg

I'll start right out by saying I hate the two purples. Just pick one and you've got a winner for the most part.

I LOVE all three logos, they're perfect. The two purples really throw me off, mainly the lighter one, in the hat logo. It looks washed out inside the C, and colorful outside. The font is perfect.

Really like the stripes on the sleeves too, but I'd recommend going with a two color stripe (as in make it a bit thicker with a lighter blue line following the same path as the purple path on the homes, for example).

spacer.png

That cap logo and the home and Sunday alt are works of art. Beautiful. I also like your focus on the purple, which should have been the focus in Colorado from the start.

My question is not necessarily directed at you, but I figure I'll say it anyway. Why oh why is everyone who is making a Rockies concept eliminating black and adding sky blue? I think this is the third sky blue Rockies concept I've seen so far. Granted you pull it off well, but it seems like all of the Rockies concepts I see here add sky blue to the color scheme. Personal opinion here, but just because it works for the Nugs and the Rapids doesn't mean that it should be a city-wide thing.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

That cap logo and the home and Sunday alt are works of art. Beautiful. I also like your focus on the purple, which should have been the focus in Colorado from the start.

My question is not necessarily directed at you, but I figure I'll say it anyway. Why oh why is everyone who is making a Rockies concept eliminating black and adding sky blue? I think this is the third sky blue Rockies concept I've seen so far. Granted you pull it off well, but it seems like all of the Rockies concepts I see here add sky blue to the color scheme. Personal opinion here, but just because it works for the Nugs and the Rapids doesn't mean that it should be a city-wide thing.

My thoughts exactly. I think this concept would look best in just straight purple and white, MAYBE with a silver highlight in certain places to break it up and make it pop. I love how you dropped the black, but the blue seems unnecessary IMO.

My thoughts exactly. I think this concept would look best in just straight purple and white, MAYBE with a silver highlight in certain places to break it up and make it pop. I love how you dropped the black, but the blue seems unnecessary IMO.

Personally here's why I think many do it:

-They want to drop the black.

-Light Blue is envisioned as a colder color

-Light Blue is associated with mountains, which are cold

-It looks good

6fQjS3M.png

Personally here's why I think many do it:

-They want to drop the black.

-Light Blue is envisioned as a colder color

-Light Blue is associated with mountains, which are cold

-It looks good

I agree completely. Black and purple is unique but if done poorly, like the Rockies currently, it looks awful.

Light blue and purple is also unique, and they are two colors, that, in my opinion, look excellent together.

And I haven't seen many concepts with purple and light blue, really, I have seen way more with black.

I like this bohob, the mountain trim is pretty cool, but I agree with chesnutz here, two-tone purple isn't working for me.

And the way you did the mountains looks good on the tertiary, in small form, but when it is featured as the main thing your eyes see, like on the primary, I don't think it looks as good. I don't have any specific suggestions, but I think if you refined the shape a little bit, it would looks less like it was straight from a picture of a mountain, and more like a stylized logo (I don't think I explained that very well lol).

OK… so the argument for purple and light blue has been pretty much summed up for me. Elliot, IMO the logo has been simplified to the point of being fairly symmetrical. Any more and it would start to look cartoony. As far as the C looking like a Cubs C, remember that the wishbone C is currently used by 2 MLB (Reds, Twins) and 1 NFL team (Bears), and 1 MLB team used to use it (Indians). Anways, that brings me to:

#15 COLORADO ROCKIES: UPDATE

Here's what changed:

• Light purple is now a rich blue

• C logo is edited so mountains could be dark purple

• The trim is now two-tone

• Road cap now features purple brim.

• Sunday alt in general.

So, C&C is appreciated.

rockies_id2.jpg

rockies_home2-1.jpg

rockies_away2.jpg

rockies_bp2.jpg

TBH, you should just use three colors in this, not 4 (as in get rid of the darker blue). I think right now it looks forced, and it seems like you're trying too hard in the uniforms to make sure all the colors are accounted for. That makes it seem forced and it doesn't flow at all because there's three different colors (purple, light blue, dark blue) "fighting" for a position on the uniform.

That's the only thing bugging me, I love everything else.

spacer.png

Archived