Bears get Jay Cutler!

amare32

I dont really understand how the Bears can become the favorite in the division. This trade really sets them back the way I look at it. Theyre giving up 2 straight years of 1st round picks, already have a shaky offensive line, an ever aging defense and a mediocre receiving corps. Sure Forte is looking like a stud...but then again teams have tape on him now so his sophomore campaign will say a lot more about him. Yes, Cutler does give them a ray of hope, but I really see the Bears as one of those 6-10 to 10-5 teams that don't have an Identity. After this trade what are the Bears? Are they a running team with a good defense and good quarterback? Or are they a decent running team with a good passing game and a slow defense? In the long run I really see this setting the bears back more than it does to propel them forward. But, time will tell. I do have to congratulate the Bears' front office as they waited until after the initial free agent rush and then picked up Pace, Cutler and are looking to bring in Ken Lucas.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I think the Bears might have given up too much with the 2 #1 picks, Jerry Angelo doesn't have a good track record with offensive players picked in the first round.

As much as I think the Bears might have given up too much with the 2 #1 picks, Jerry Angelo doesn't have a good track record with offensive players picked in the first round.

Well, that's true. Speaking as objectively as a Packers fan can about this trade, they way overpaid. But, they had to overpay to a degree. Probably not as much as they did, but the fact is, they got their guy. So, they upgraded at QB, and gave up what very well might have amounted to two more cap-crushing Chicago Bears first round busts. They had an extra 3rd round pick from losing Berrian. So, who knows? Time will tell, but I'm guessing that Cutler will have more of an impact on the Bears future than Kyle Orton and the players they would have selected with those two picks.

I'm so glad the Skins didn't get Cutler. And all this shows how great Campbell is; he's not being a whiny bitch about any of this, he's taking it like a class act. I'd hate to wish harm to anyone, but I can't wait for the day when Snyder stops all of these dumbass pursuits. Good luck Bears, enjoy your 6 year old QB.

spacer.png

The Cutler trade worked out a whole lot better for the Broncos then I thought it would. 2 #1 draft picks is a great deal for the Broncos. The Bears really over paid for Cutler.

I agree, but I can understand why the Bears jumped on this, and I'm pretty sure it's been said time and time again: The Bears have have been a comedy of errors when it comes to the QB position. Nowthey have a QB that could actually win some games for them, instead of just praying that the QB doesn't :censored: the game up for the defense.

However, if the Broncos suck this year, then they are going to be back pretty soon thanks to the picks.

The Cutler trade worked out a whole lot better for the Broncos then I thought it would. 2 #1 draft picks is a great deal for the Broncos. The Bears really over paid for Cutler.

I agree, but I can understand why the Bears jumped on this, and I'm pretty sure it's been said time and time again: The Bears have have been a comedy of errors when it comes to the QB position. Nowthey have a QB that could actually win some games for them, instead of just praying that the QB doesn't :censored: the game up for the defense.

However, if the Broncos suck this year, then they are going to be back pretty soon thanks to the picks.

Even if the Broncos had Cutler, they would have sucked this year. With a new coach and basically a brand new defense this year was down the drain before the March. The picks are definitly going to help in the long run (assuming they use them right), and they are better off without Cutler. And I also think people are wrongly assuming this is going to jump the Bears up a whole lot. While Cutler can make a big difference he has just as many cons as he does pros. He is extremely cocky which will lead to many misjudgements and throwing errors. But that will fade in time as he grows as a QB.

jNTsTyQ.png

The Bears gave up a bloated yutz and draft picks that would be wasted on the Cedric Bensons and Rex Grossmans of the world. If that's giving up too much, what is giving up too little? There's no way that acquiring a franchise quarterback is a "long-term setback." That's dumb.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Bears gave up a bloated yutz and draft picks that would be wasted on the Cedric Bensons and Rex Grossmans of the world. If that's giving up too much, what is giving up too little? There's no way that acquiring a franchise quarterback is a "long-term setback." That's dumb.

I think it is a bit much to assume those draft picks wouldn't have worked out anyways. Even Matt Millen hit on a draft pick or two (see Calvin Johnson). I think they gave up too much. The Bears weren't a good enough team to begin with, to be able to afford losing the next two years first round picks, plus some.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Losing Orton means nothing to this team. Establish that right out of the gate. Furthermore, with Angelo's insistence that the Bears build around a non-Orton quarterback for 2009 and beyond, there's a very good chance that the first round pick this month would've been a quarterback. So really, your net loss is a third-rounder now (of which the Bears have two) and a first-rounder next year. What people are missing, no matter what you tell them, are two things about Jerry Angelo and first-round draft picks:

1) He doesn't wanna draft them.

2) He doesn't wanna pay them.

It's not the same as Matt Millen drafting Calvin Johnson. Angelo simply prefers to work in the lower rounds, and when he's had early first round picks, many of them have been bad. Greg Olsen turned out well, but to what extent do you practically consider the penultimate pick of the first a real "first-rounder"? People are talking about this like it's Ditka surrendering the world for Ricky Williams. Come on. It's quite rare that a quarterback of Cutler's caliber is not only on the market, but on the market in a low-leverage situation. Could it all go terribly wrong? Of course! We're talking about the Chicago Bears. However, there's an even better chance that the Bears will be set at the most important position in the sport for years to come. I think people are in the early stages of Draft Fever and overstating the importance of the first round. The Bears are better off today than they were a week ago.

Another thing people are overlooking is that the Bears obviously aren't done retooling the team. There are certainly more moves to come. Cutler will get someone to throw to. The offensive line is looking better already. The defense still looks weak, especially that secondary ohmygod, but that'll obviously be the focus of the draft this year so that a new window can be opened down the road. Lovie Smith returning to defensive coordinator, his area of expertise, may prove helpful, since Babich was a bumbling tool. However, abandon the notion of the Bears being a defense-only team, a relic of the old days. This is going to be an offense-minded outfit.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Losing Orton means nothing to this team. Establish that right out of the gate. Furthermore, with Angelo's insistence that the Bears build around a non-Orton quarterback for 2009 and beyond, there's a very good chance that the first round pick this month would've been a quarterback.

<Bears dope> Duyyyuh, I dunno why Angelo had to go out an' give up so much for Cutler, even if he didn't want Orton no more. Ya know, wit' Caleb Hanie and Brent Basanez, you got two solid contenders for da startin' job right there. You just watch in da preseason. </Bears dope>

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Does anyone think there might be anything to the Brady Quinn to Denver rumors? I guess if the Broncos packaged either Orton or Simms and a 1st round pickthe Browns might shift? Maybe they might need to throw another pick or two into the deal, but if Mangini isn't impressed with Quinn, seems like it might be a good solution for everyone.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Uh huh. Say hi to Jiggetts for me tomorrow morning.

My guy!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Angelo simply prefers to work in the lower rounds, and when he's had early first round picks, many of them have been bad. Greg Olsen turned out well, but to what extent do you practically consider the penultimate pick of the first a real "first-rounder"?

Say hello to the new Top 5 tight end in your fantasy draft.

Losing Orton means nothing to this team.

Urlacher doesn't seem to agree with you, but what the heck. :D

I couldnt care less about what Urlacher thinks, his own role on the defense is dwindling as it is. We should be worried about what lance briggs thinks.

In other news, I say the bears go crazy and pick up Plaxico and maybe pay Donte Stallworths bail, and pick him up too.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Archived