New Dolphins logo?

HowBoutThemFins

Probably not, but I saw this on the Miami Herald Sports webpage & it caught my eye. It's obviously not their current logo, but can pass as an update of it. It's not bad, but I haven't seen it used anywhere else. Wondering if anyone else has seen it or what you think of it. I know it's not the largest...

237-dollogosky_0414.skybox.prod_affiliate.56.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is, isn't it?

Speaking of the Dolphins, this little item ran in the Uni Watch ticker this morning:

Did you know frequent Ticker contributor Tris Wykes used to work for the Tampa Bay Bucs? I didn?t, until he sent me this note yesterday: ?Back in 1993, while serving as an equipment assistant for the Buccaneers, we played a preseason game at Miami and I snapped this picture of my boss, Frank Pupello, and his Fins counterpart, who I believe was named Bobby Monica. We were told the aqua Dolphins helmet prototype you see on the shelf was going to be the team?s regular helmet for 1994. Apparently, that plan was scrapped.?

3437660209_e3105f29bb_o.jpg

Interesting. Hadn't heard about that one before. Is that navy?

Concept helmet - just like the reverse color version of the Bengals a few years back.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Concept helmet - just like the reverse color version of the Bengals a few years back.

That was a one-off created as a gift for the head coach, never intended to be worn on the field. This one was in the office of the equipment manager, reportedly a prototype for an official change.

Even among concept helmets, I think there is a difference.

That was a one-off created as a gift for the head coach, never intended to be worn on the field. This one was in the office of the equipment manager, reportedly a prototype for an official change.

Even among concept helmets, I think there is a difference.

From today's UniWatch:

Fish Story: Yesterday I linked to this photo, which appears to show a prototype aqua Dolphins helmet in the background. That prompted the following from reader Randy Cremer:

That was in fact a prototype. I covered the Dolphins as a reporter from 1989 thru the 1994 season, and at some point that was in the equipment cage at the Dolphins headquarters after they moved from St. Thomas up to the new digs in Davie. I can't tell you the exact year; might have been 1993.

I believe (about 90% certainty) that it was proposed when the idea of alternate helmets was pitched to NFL teams. The aqua was to be the Dolphins alternate. A couple years later, I was talking with an equipment manager for the University of Central Florida football team, and this subject came up.

Riddell had apparently pitched the idea of the alternate helmets with each basically being a photo negative of the primary helmet. So the Dolphins ones would be white and aqua. Dallas would be silver and blue the Packers yellow and green.

But the idea fell flat with coaches who felt it would have a negative impact (in part because they thought a QB who was used to looking for white-helmeted receivers would have a hard time adjusting during the aqua-helmeted week).

However, this was before the NFL recognized the merchandising potential of having multiple versions of every team's uniforms and equipment to sell. If Riddell had pitched the idea 10-12 years later, you might be seeing the Dolphins take the field wearing all aqua head-to-toe.

Probably not, but I saw this on the Miami Herald Sports webpage & it caught my eye. It's obviously not their current logo, but can pass as an update of it. It's not bad, but I haven't seen it used anywhere else. Wondering if anyone else has seen it or what you think of it. I know it's not the largest...

237-dollogosky_0414.skybox.prod_affiliate.56.jpg

Back on topic... that's a real good find. Looks very different from the current logo. The striping is different, the sun is complete and doesn't break when the dolphin crosses in front, the angle and font of the M is different. idk man, maybe they just dug up some amatuer's concept update and didn't know the difference, or maybe they stumbled across something.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived