Duke PG Greg Paulus to play football?

hettinger_rl

This entire situation makes me laugh. So apparently he's good enough to get a Packers and Michigan try-outs, but not to play QB at Duke? :lol:

It could be that he thinks he is too good to play QB for Duke.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

He's got no shot of playing pro basketball (well over here anyway), so might as well try the gridiron again. It's not like when MJ went to go play baseball though. I mean Paulus was the Gatorade National Player of the Year as a HS Senior. I hope he makes it...kind of like the reverse Charlie Ward. Plus, Michigan is in dire need of a QB. Have you seen their depth chart?

I know the NCAA rules allow it, but I still don't see how he has football eligibility when he's completed his basketball eligibility. It's just odd...not wrong, just odd.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Just heard on ESPN Radio that Paulus has been offered a scholly at Michigan and a chance to compete for their starting spot. However, the .com story doesn't include all of this info.

Either way, Paulus has one year of eligibility because he didn't redshirt at Duke. Interesting rule. The more I think about this, the more I think I like it. If they're good enough, let the kids play. Plus, he'll get a head start on his Master's degree. I'm all for more education. A Duke and Michigan combo on the resume would look pretty damn good.

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The rule is that a player has 5 years of eligibility, no more than 4 in one sport.

And on him not being "good enough to QB at Duke", think about it. As much as I despise Duke basketball, do you really think that playing (and for most of his career there, starting) point guard for the Blue Devils would allow you to have enough time and focus to play another sport besides basketball? Not to mention the academic level the school is at. Combine that and the level of basketball, there is not really any chance you'd be able to play a second sport. You'd need to devote all your energy to basketball.

This entire situation makes me laugh. So apparently he's good enough to get a Packers and Michigan try-outs, but not to play QB at Duke? :lol:

It could be that he thinks he is too good to play QB for Duke.

Doubtful. The Duke team as a whole isn't very good, but Thaddeus Lewis is a solid QB, and his starting spot certainly wouldn't be threatened by a 6' 1" 180 lb guy who hasn't played football competitively in four years.

Duke, not a very good football team? Probably true, but they are improving. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go bowling this year. Looking at last year's schedule, they beat Navy and Vanderbilt two bowl teams. It looks like they gave Northwestern (lost by 4), Wake Forest (lost in OT), Virginia Tech (held them to 14 points), and North Carolina runs for their money. With Cutcliff, as head coach, I wouldn't be shocked if this year or next year they go bowling and become like Rutgers or even Wake Forest. In this era of everyone on tv and talent spread around, it doesn't take much to go from an also ran to a mid-level bowl team.

As far as him playing QB at Michigan, why not? It's not like Michigan has any. Heck, Duke is probably a better football team than Michigan!

Rich Rodriguez is driving the Maze and Blue into the ground

And the Maize and Blue, as well.

As an Illinois fan, I love that Greg Paulus is going to get a chance to compete for the Michigan QB job.

I can imagine you would, if Paulus is the starter in Ann Arbor, Michigan will be lucky to win more then 3 games.

Even the awful Duke football Program dont think he is worth giving a starting try to, and they have no football history.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Michigan will be lucky to win three games regardless of who happens to be their starting, backup, third string, or practice squad QB.

Rich Rodriguez is driving the Maze and Blue into the ground

Because it's Rich Rodriguez's fault Lloyd Carr left the talent cupboard bare when he retired? That Carr decided to put all of Micigan's QB eggs for 2008 and 2009 in Ryan Mallett's basket?

Give Rodriguez time; he was able to get talent to come to West Virginia and win there....he should do the same for Michigan if he has another year or two.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The rule is that a player has 5 years of eligibility, no more than 4 in one sport.

And on him not being "good enough to QB at Duke", think about it. As much as I despise Duke basketball, do you really think that playing (and for most of his career there, starting) point guard for the Blue Devils would allow you to have enough time and focus to play another sport besides basketball? Not to mention the academic level the school is at. Combine that and the level of basketball, there is not really any chance you'd be able to play a second sport. You'd need to devote all your energy to basketball.

What I read was that Paulus asked to play at Duke this upcoming year but they have a returning 3-year starter and the coach said he wouldn't give Paulus the job over him. As an Illinois fan, I'm all for Michigan's starting quarterback not having played competitively in 3 years.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

What I read was that Paulus asked to play at Duke this upcoming year but they have a returning 3-year starter and the coach said he wouldn't give Paulus the job over him. As an Illinois fan, I'm all for Michigan's starting quarterback not having played competitively in 3 years.

Because that was a huge problem for Chris Weinke.

Today, we are all otaku.

Contrary to the report, Paulus has not been offered a scholarship by Michigan. He has been asked to join the team, but he has not been offered a scholarship by RichRod.

Hate to break it to you ladies, but even IF Paulus comes to Michigan, there is no way he is higher than #3 on the depth chart. Tate Forcier (barring injury) has the starting gig locked up... and then we have Denard Robinson coming in with his blazing speed as the change-of-pace QB. Paulus would be battling for 3rd on the depth chart, and would only see the field if T-Force or DRob get hurt.

Fact.

Archived