Carolina Hurricanes Rebrand

elliott

Hey, I'm going to post my next MLB concept in the next week or so, but I started this concept about a month ago, and today I decided to finish it.

It's pretty much an all new identity. The primary logo isn't all that different but I've added 3 new marks to accompany it. So...

Colors: I darkened the red slightly to make it less blinding. Black is gone, being replaced by graphite, just to do something different. A much lighter gray goes with the dark gray. One thing you will notice is the very small amount of white, actually the only place where white is featured is in the base of the road, and nowhere else. I thought the light gray would make up for it, and I didn't find it necessary to have an almost white color to go with a true white color.

Logos: The primary is more circular than the current one, and simplified. Really I was just playing around with hurricane swirls, and this is what I decided upon. It is fairly different than what they use now, actually. The secondary is simple enough, with the hurricane silhouette in the background along with the wordmark, and flag pattern. Tertiary is an H on top of the C, with the double flag (that everyone prefers over the single flag).

Jerseys: Pretty simple, I just wanted to arrange it in such a way where the light gray was easy to see on the arms. On the waist, instead of the single graphite stripe seen on the arms, I brought back the flag motif. The shoulders have the same empty yoke as the current, but in gray so it is visible on the homes but harder to see on the roads.

Comments appreciated.

Hurricanes2009.gif

Hurricanes2009-Jerseys.gif

Wow. Just...wow. That looks great. IMO what they have now is good, but what you have done is even better. The primary logo is simple yet stunning. I love the other logos you put together as well. The uniforms look great. I wouldn't change a thing. At first, I didn't like the idea of removing black and white from the Canes when I was reading your intro, but when I saw what you did, I completely chagned my mind. Great concept. If I was a Canes fan, I would love this even more. Nice job!

Real nice work. I like taht you did something different, going with a two-tone gray instead of black and white. The light gray could be lightened just a tad, but that's just nitpicking. The primary is nice and new, and I've always loved the hurricane pattern, so I like that you utilized it here. Job well done.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

On the secondary, I think that as a shoulder logo, the wordmark would be rather small and hard to read. The C in the tertiary looks like a T at a quick glance. On the away, I am not feeling the full effect of the crest because the light grey blends into the white jersey. I like the primary logo, maybe work a puck into the center, kind of like waht they have now. This is a great update from what they have now, great job.

McCutchen6_zps336cbf93.png

I think the graphite is a tad less effective right here, but it doesn't really look bad. The primary looks more like a ninja's throwing star more than a hurrican right now, and I don't think it would be a good thing that the silver streaks in the middle kind of appear like a 69. I think rotating the silver streaks might make the logo look a lot better. I love the script and the CH logo, but the shoulder logo isn't that great. It might need some silver streaks, and the flag design looks more like a filler than a well thought design. Also, I think the logos in general need more red. It is their primary color, and other than little squares and circles of red, they are really lacking the pop that more red could give them. Overall, it has great potential, but for now it is slightly less effective than their current set.

EDIT: Mac the Knife beat me to the 69 deal, dang. :P

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

Elliott,

I like the tertiary mark the best. It would make an excellent patch even though I'm generally not a fan of using initials like 'CH' instead of just 'C'. The current primary they use now is better than yours because your's hardly has any red in it. It looks drab on the white jersey. I do like the new color scheme though. For a secondary logo, I'd like to see a bigger version of the flapping flag from your tertiary with 'Hurricanes' on it. Just use the single flag and not the double.

It was a really good attempt though.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Looks good, Not better than what they have now, but well executed.

However, I am in love with the tertiary logo. I dunno why, but that thing is just sharp. I like it.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Nice, nice start here, Elliot. I'd darken the gray a tad, just to make it look a little less washed out. On the tertiary, try connecting the C and the H....it just looks strange at the moment. I'm not sure if that's why, but I'm curious to see if that'd improve it.

1. The colors on the home look good on paper, and may even look good on an actual jersey, but I don't think it'd work well on the ice nor translate well on TV with no white. It'd look really dull IMO. I get what you are trying to do, and can appreciate it, but I'm just not sure it'd work in real life.

2. The numbers are easily the weakest part of this set. The jersey is very contemporary, but the numbers, while not being "traditional", have a certain "cute" element to them (for lack of a better word.) Go with something a little more dynamic and modern. Not necessarily the super-italicized font they use now, but closer to it. Or something Texans / Falcons -ish. Actually, I think a slight italic would work well here.

3. I know that your logo looks more like a hurricane shape than their actual logo, and that it incorporates one of the actual hurricane symbols (the 69 thing), but it just looks too much like a circular saw blade at first glance. It has a lot of potential, but it just isn't working for me as a symmetrical / square shape logo. Find a way to ovularize it (yes, I just made that word up.) Maybe lose the top and bottom "blade", and just play off the 69 (and maybe tilt the 69 some.)

4. The CH-flag could end up being the best part of this. I really don't like the bottom of the C though. I don't like how it is obscured by the point on the cross of the H. It may look better if it just extended right into the H. Maybe not, but it's worth a shot. The bottom of a C shouldn't really be cut off like that though. If that logo could be perfected, I actually think it'd make a better crest than the hurri-blade. The CH would need to be black (maybe) though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

While I like the "hurricanes" wordmark, the crossbar of the "H" extending past the stem just reminds me too much of every NFL update. The "CT" logo, the "C" reminds me of Colorado. The colors are bland, using charcol and grey together is killing this look. I would either use the "hurricane" logo or the flags, but I really think the unification of the look needs to happen. Everyone tries to force the "hurricane" the and both the hurricane flags and the warning flags into their concept. Use one and it'll be a stronger image. Again, the best part of this is the "Hurricanes" wordmark, everything else is just there and doesn't do much for me.

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

I feel like my attitude about this one is different than concepts in the past. Sometimes recently I have been a little defensive about some of the elements because I liked the concept myself. But on this one, I agree with the majority of you that say it isn't necessarily an improvement. I think the reason is that I don't love it myself. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing...I guess I just wanted to put it out there. Still, maybe my apathetic attitude will let me see the concept's flaws more readily! Anyhow, enough of my rambling, expect an update later tonight or tomorrow.

You've done a great job trying something completely new with the Canes. I really admire using the dark gray instead of black, but it does sort of make the whole thing feel dull or flat. Maybe if the light gray/silver were lighter (I know you can't go MUCH lighter) or if there were more white on the red sweater, that would help.

Also, I'd lose the shoulder piping, and use that CH alternate logo on the shoulders, it's fantastic.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Elliot, if I owned the 'Canes, I would have just one question for you.... How much? And then I'd pay it!!! This may be the finest Canes upgrade I have ever seen, anywhere anytime - I love it!!!

canada.png

Archived