Other Potential NHL Markets

DustDevil61

The NHL needs to stop thinking North America....because there is nothing here anymore.

Just the truth. Stop expanding or go somewhere else in the world, it's not happening in Hartford, it's not happening in Winnipeg, and it's not happening in Oklahoma City.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The NHL needs to stop thinking North America....because there is nothing here anymore.

Just the truth. Stop expanding or go somewhere else in the world, it's not happening in Hartford, it's not happening in Winnipeg, and it's not happening in Oklahoma City.

It's obvious to everyone, except for you and I, that any market without the NHL is a great potential NHL market. It's proved that it works beautifully everywhere it is has gone..."hockey" market or not.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

:blink:

I think there are plenty of places that could support an NHL team here in North America.

Like where?

Just curious on what you think.

For a hockey team to work, you need three things:

a. Fanbase for a professional team

b. Support for the sport of hockey from population and local government

c. Corporate Support

If you do not meet these three things, you do not deserve an NHL team. It does not make fiscal sense.

It's obvious to everyone, except for you and I, that any market without the NHL is a great potential NHL market. It's proved that it works beautifully everywhere it is has gone..."hockey" market or not.

I think there are a large number of well-educated posts in this thread that prove your sentiment (whether sarcastic or not) to be wrong. A number of people have come out expressing why they don't feel certain markets would work for the NHL. Milwaukee, for example, is often treated as a cold mid-western city like Chicago, Detroit, and the Twin Cities, but seems to be lacking in a deep rooted hockey culture like those other cities. Whether that would prevent an NHL team from catching on there is something that's up for debate, but that's why this thread was opened.

I know everything you say should be taken with a grain of salt, but don't you ever get tired of trolling every single thread related to hockey or the NHL? I don't really get it. I know a lot of the board members here can be classified as blind fans who will support the NHL at every turn, but most of the posts within this thread are actually well reasoned, well versed, and worth considering. In fact, the one that is least worthy of repeating is the one that says there are NO markets left in the US or Canada that could or would support a team.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I think there are a large number of well-educated posts in this thread that prove your sentiment (whether sarcastic or not) to be wrong. A number of people have come out expressing why they don't feel certain markets would work for the NHL. Milwaukee, for example, is often treated as a cold mid-western city like Chicago, Detroit, and the Twin Cities, but seems to be lacking in a deep rooted hockey culture like those other cities. Whether that would prevent an NHL team from catching on there is something that's up for debate, but that's why this thread was opened.

I know everything you say should be taken with a grain of salt, but don't you ever get tired of trolling every single thread related to hockey or the NHL? I don't really get it. I know a lot of the board members here can be classified as blind fans who will support the NHL at every turn, but most of the posts within this thread are actually well reasoned, well versed, and worth considering. In fact, the one that is least worthy of repeating is the one that says there are NO markets left in the US or Canada that could or would support a team.

Starts to wonder if Jigga and oddball are the same person.

Too often, people simply look at cities that have NBA, MLB, or NFL teams without NHL teams, and think that those are major-league cities that should have NHL. You have to look at when these cities got those other major league teams. The fact is that in today's sports climate, there's a lot of cities that have teams that would never even be considered for expansion currently. A lot of the cities that are being mentioned in this thread are cities that aren't exactly thriving economically, aren't in growing markets (or even large markets for that matter), and lack other key necessities to support a new team. It's waaaaya too easy to just spout off "Milwaukee! Cleveland! Portland!" without actuallyl thinking about it.

That being said, I vote for Houston. I would say Seattle, but the reason that's not viable has already been mentioned. IMO Houston may be the only truly viable US market where a team could thrive.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That being said, I vote for Houston. I would say Seattle, but the reason that's not viable has already been mentioned. IMO Houston may be the only truly viable US market where a team could thrive.

I don't chime in too often here....but I couldn't agree more!

That is....assuming there is an owner out there who would bring the NHL to Houston. I know G.B. has got to like that idea alot better than talking about going back to Canada (I won't even bother to comment on that).

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Hey now. I wouldn't go that far. I still count Jigga as a very smart and well-reasoned guy who I consider a friend. It's only in the case of the NHL where I don't get all the hate.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I don't chime in too often here....but I couldn't agree more!

That is....assuming there is an owner out there who would bring the NHL to Houston. I know G.B. has got to like that idea alot better than talking about going back to Canada (I won't even bother to comment on that).

More importantly, if Houston did receive an NHL team, via relocation or expansion, would that offset the "loss" of the Phoenix market, if/when the Coyotes move?

Hey now. I wouldn't go that far. I still count Jigga as a very smart and well-reasoned guy who I consider a friend. It's only in the case of the NHL where I don't get all the hate.

Fair enough. His bashing of hockey confounds me as well.

I posted my 6 cities earlier as a joke. I don't think the NHL needs to relocate any team currently. I just don't think there are any cities that just scream "We should have an NHL team! We'd support them!"

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Seattle- If and when they replace Key Arena, Seattle could be a good fit. Vancouver needs someone to join them in the Pacific Northwest.

Las Vegas- I dont see Las Vegas being the best option. Its not a major league town.

Oklahoma City- A rich hockey history but I cant see it in the NHL.

Kansas City- Nice spankin new arena with nobody in it. Perfect fit at this point. Kansas City has had minor league teams but they think of themselves as a major league town.

Milwaukee- I could see it if they build a new arena.(Is it just me or does the Bradley Center seem out of date?)

Norfolk- Are you serious? Hell will freeze over before they see the NHL, but with the crazy antics of Betteman you never know.

Cleveland- they barely support their AHL team as it is, If Ohio is to have the NHL it needs to stay in Columbus.

Hartford- Too little too late. Its just not a major market anymore.

Baltimore- Get a new arena to replace the dump of an arena they have and its possible.

Houston- Might be able to pull it off. The Toyota Center works perfect and Dallas could use someone nearby.

Winnipeg- If they can expand the MTS Centre then it can work. Id say it would be between them and KC.

Quebec City- If they can replace the Colisee then it could work.

Brooklyn- If they ever get that new arena for the Nets they could bring back the Americans and ship the Islanders to KC or Winnipeg.

Signature intentionally left blank

Brooklyn- If they ever get that new arena for the Nets they could bring back the Americans and ship the Islanders to KC or Winnipeg.

Winnipeg deserves better.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Winnipeg deserves better.

Winnipeg shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

philly.png

I gotta ask a question to those saying Milwaukee being a potential NHL suitor. Why?

Because Badgers hockey is pretty popular around the state. Ironically, that's precisely why Milwaukee isn't an NHL town.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's fair to say that potential NHL markets such as Seattle, Portland, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Houston, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Baltimore or Hartford wouldn't automatically be hockey hotbeds. That being said, they would be a MUCH better fit than some of the current markets (ie. Miami, Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix) that the NHL is currently involved with. These existing NHL franchises are in markets where the ownership has to buy up their own tickets simply to participate in the league's revenue sharing program. That is simply unacceptable. I firmly belive that if you were to build a decent (doesn't even have to be extravagant) arena in any of these potemtial markets, the NHL would be much better off than it is now. Hell, some of the potential markets I named already have half decent arenas that would only need minor upgrades to their existing facilities. As usual, finding ownership and investors is the biggest hurdle.

thecatch.jpg

^^^

I feel the same way with Salt Lake; not the most ideal spot for an NHL team, but better than Phoenix, Atlanta, or Florida. Apparantly, the attendance at Grizzlies games during the Turner Cup (IHL) finals was higher than that at Panthers games when they went to the Stanley Cup finals.

The building formerly known as the Delta Center would make an adaquate temporary home while the E Center gets another 7,000-8,000 seats, or if another building is built.

^^^

I feel the same way with Salt Lake; not the most ideal spot for an NHL team, but better than Phoenix, Atlanta, and Florida.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you on Salt Lake City too. So that's 10 US markets where the NHL would be better off than they currently are in my opinion.

thecatch.jpg

Would be a disaster. They would have a harder time than the Isles at drawing away Rangers fans.

The Nets would be ok as NY is a fair-weather town when it comes to bball. WHen the Knicks are good, they are a hot ticket. When they are not, you can't give the tix away. However, there are a lot of basketball fans here and they would flock to Nets games if the Knicks were bad.

Archived