Phoenix Mercury (WNBA) to announce jersey sponsorship

Waffles

OK that's it. I didn't believe it till I saw the pics. Can govt weigh in and try a "1 sponsor per jersey, shoulder patch only" regulation? Oh, ok I'll keep dreaming.

GRA_12.jpg

...and you should see the golden arches on their butts...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. I think it's ugly, but I'm also on the extreme end of the spectrum when it comes to hating clutter on uniforms. I also hate wordmarks on football uniforms, conference patches in college sports, and all instances of manufacturer logos on uniforms. I'm also of the opinion that most baseball uniforms would look better without sleeve patches.

Well those thinking OnWis is completely off base, remember just about every other league outside of the united states does this. Its not completely far-fetched, especially if they can convince fans they need to or else they'll go under. Don't underestimate what will be able to be done under the guise of "in this economy." Listen to the radio, every big company's advertisements use that phrase, its like a new tactic to market. Its disgusting, really.

There is a main shirt sponsor, which is gross but probably someday unavoidable.

Then there is Swedish Hockey. Which basically employs moving billboards who also sometimes play a little hockey.

520x.jpg

Ugh. This will never take off in the big four sports. And it just shows how out of touch the WNBA is right now.

desperate != "out of touch"

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"Gentlemen, I've weighed all the factors, and when it comes right down to it, although selling sponsorship rights on our jerseys would bring in much-needed revenue and help keep our team afloat going forward, I've decided against doing so. We risk pissing off a group of overweight gentlemen on the internet, who are not our target demographic, and who prefer keeping jerseys looking as much as they did in the 1960s as we can.

"0We have enough money to keep us in business until Wednesday at 2.15 pm. I call dibs on the water cooler and my secretary, Penny.

"Meeting adjourned."

Welcome to DrunjFlix

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31082521

Earlier this year, the NFL allowed teams to sell sponsorship patches on their practice jerseys. No one has forged a deal yet, but we're hearing a couple teams are close.

How much these patches are worth is hard to figure out. They can't be larger than 3 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches and certainly have a limited audience since preseason games aren't counted as practice.

The biggest benefit likely will come from local television stations that don't have rights to game footage and therefore have to roll practice video over and over again on their newscasts when talking about the team.

Texans president Jamey Rootes told the AP yesterday that a company that signs up for a patch deal would likely have a larger relationship with the team.

Teams can sell postseason practice jersey rights to a different sponsor than the regular season practice sponsor. However, teams are prohibited from selling patches to alcohol brands, including the beer and distilled spirits category.

Earlier this week, the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury signed a deal that will put the LifeLock logo on their jerseys throughout the regular season. The LifeLock logo is larger than the team logo.

When did the Eagles do this? Any pics?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You know it is a sign of the apocolypse when you see this on the bottom line of sportscenter: "Houston Texans looking to add sponsorship logo to practice gear. Earlier this week, the WNBA's Pheonix Mercury added a sponsorship logo to their uniforms. This is a common practice for sports teams in Europe."

You know it is a sign of the apocolypse when you see this on the bottom line of sportscenter: "Houston Texans looking to add sponsorship logo to practice gear. Earlier this week, the WNBA's Pheonix Mercury added a sponsorship logo to their uniforms. This is a common practice for sports teams in Europe."

Here's another one for you : AON doubles MU's AIG jersey sponsorship with $131 mil over 4 years. Crisis? What crisis?

I think that before the big 4 do something on uniforms, we'll see more CGI stuff on the TV broadcasts, which is primarily the reasons for the sponsorship to begin with. They could embed big logos on the fields on the TV broadcasts like they do for the ad boxes behind home plate.

The NHL did it this year. They had sponsors on the glass behind the goalies. Wish I could find a picture.

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

I think that before the big 4 do something on uniforms, we'll see more CGI stuff on the TV broadcasts, which is primarily the reasons for the sponsorship to begin with. They could embed big logos on the fields on the TV broadcasts like they do for the ad boxes behind home plate.

The NHL did it this year. They had sponsors on the glass behind the goalies. Wish I could find a picture.

SubwayGlassAd.jpg

Ugh. This will never take off in the big four sports. And it just shows how out of touch the WNBA is right now.

Imagine the backlash if this jersey ever comes to existence...

CelticsDunkinDonuts.png

It makes sense, Basketball... DUNKin donuts...

I saw, I came, I left.

SubwayGlassAd.jpg

I'm personally waiting for the NBA out-of-bounds area just to become one CGI area.

Archived