Phoenix Mercury (WNBA) to announce jersey sponsorship

Waffles

From CNBC's Darren Rovell:

Corporate logos are already on NASCAR firesuits and on MLS shirts, so when will the mainstream leagues allow teams to sell space on jerseys?

If Monday's announcement by the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury is any indication, it might be coming sometime soon.

On Monday, the Mercury will announce that it has signed a deal with LifeLock, the identity theft protection company, to feature the LifeLock name on the front of its jerseys and warmups through the 2011 season.

Full article here: http://www.cnbc.com/id/31034379

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has been said before, but I really think this is the future of all sports uniforms. Think about it. NASCAR, CFL, WNBA, AFL all these leagues (I'm sure there's some more) use sponsors on their jerseys. Eventually, we'll be watching our favorite teams with adds plastered all over. I just can't wait until the Falcons put Coke (or some advertisement) on their jerseys!

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

If it's done and looks classy like the soccer teams over in Europe, I'll have no problem with it at all.

However, if it's done and looks TERRIBLE like the hockey teams over in Europe, I'll have a major problem with it.

This bothers me because it means the D-League will start this next season (mark my words), and then the NBA will jump on it soon enough. The NBA is sacred to me. I wish I was Oprah rich, then I would pay the NBA to not put advertisements on their jerseys. The WNBA getting sponsors wouldn't bother me if it weren't an obvious precursor to the NBA doing so.

It looks alright. I'm more worried about the purple jersey. If it's the Lifelock logo on purple fine, but if it's slapped on with a white background then it's gonna be terrible. Like Euro hockey.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

What's the point of branding elements like custom numbers and templates if you're just going to slap a sponsor logo on there? Seems a waste to put any time and money into designing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That just looks horrible. If sponsors HAVE to come to the major leagues here (and I hope they never do, but they might), I hope that they make the sponsor logos in the same colors as the team.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Hopefully this is more of an isolated incident in the WNBA (where the once-4-time league champions Houston Comets now cease to exist) and this is a way to keep Phoenix afloat. I think that ads on unis in the big 4 (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) will be shot down by fan revolts (well, who knows with Stern, and Bettman did manage to Reebok-ify the NHL against traditionalist fan wishes :suspect: ).

Remember, 2-3 years ago, when MLB tried to put "Spiderman 2" (or 3) ads on bases but there was a massive fan revolt that had the idea ditched? :grin:

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

This bothers me because it means the D-League will start this next season (mark my words), and then the NBA will jump on it soon enough. The NBA is sacred to me. I wish I was Oprah rich, then I would pay the NBA to not put advertisements on their jerseys. The WNBA getting sponsors wouldn't bother me if it weren't an obvious precursor to the NBA doing so.

I don't know if that's a precursor at all. The NBA makes money. The WNBA doesn't. Therefore, they need to supplement their income with tactics like this in order to become financially viable.

Archived