NBA Logo/Uniform Changes for 2009-10...

DustDevil61

A chance to post this. I'm not saying this is perfect, just a direction i wish they'd go in. I wish more teams would go the pistons route and bring back an old scheme but not an outdated logo. I don't mind honoring history and bringing back elements of the past, but the 76ers and Jazz music note logos are just boring. Use the original logo as a starting off point and modernize it.

jazz2.jpg

That's a nice idea, but I hate how the team name slants in one direction and the state name slants in the other. Really breaks the flow.

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A chance to post this. I'm not saying this is perfect, just a direction i wish they'd go in. I wish more teams would go the pistons route and bring back an old scheme but not an outdated logo. I don't mind honoring history and bringing back elements of the past, but the 76ers and Jazz music note logos are just boring. Use the original logo as a starting off point and modernize it.

jazz2.jpg

I just wish it had some silver somewhere in there.

According to Fred Kerber of the NY Post, the Nets are ditching their blue uniforms. (Sorry if this was posted)
The Nets are dropping their blue road jerseys. Why? Because they say "New Jersey."

So they keep their home whites that say Nets and those red things that make them all look like giant blood clots. Blood clots that say "Nets" on the front, not "New Jersey." Personally, we like the blue uniforms but again, this is all about moving across the river. Still, couldn't they have waited until they at least put a shovel in the ground before spitting on New Jersey?

As a Nets fan and New Jerseyan, I'm offended that the state is being ignored by yet another pro team (I'm looking at you, Jets and Giants.)

How many Nets fans are there south of Trenton? Hell - how many Nets fans are there south of Bridgewater? The team markets to and draws from the NY metro area, which includes north Jersey. "New Jersey" isn't a market. The markets in New Jersey are New York and Philadelphia. The Giants and Jets would be silly to put the state's name on their uniforms / logos.

If New Jersey isn't a market, then they shouldn't call the team New Jersey.

There's really no reason why New Jersey can't be a market on its own. I think the only reason teams have struggled there is because (until very recently) all of the teams have been so close to NYC that half the state was geographically closer to the Phily teams.

But New Jersey is almost entirely served by New York and Philadelphia television and radio. There's no such thing as a "New Jersey market."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

According to Fred Kerber of the NY Post, the Nets are ditching their blue uniforms. (Sorry if this was posted)
The Nets are dropping their blue road jerseys. Why? Because they say "New Jersey."

So they keep their home whites that say Nets and those red things that make them all look like giant blood clots. Blood clots that say "Nets" on the front, not "New Jersey." Personally, we like the blue uniforms but again, this is all about moving across the river. Still, couldn't they have waited until they at least put a shovel in the ground before spitting on New Jersey?

As a Nets fan and New Jerseyan, I'm offended that the state is being ignored by yet another pro team (I'm looking at you, Jets and Giants.)

How many Nets fans are there south of Trenton? Hell - how many Nets fans are there south of Bridgewater? The team markets to and draws from the NY metro area, which includes north Jersey. "New Jersey" isn't a market. The markets in New Jersey are New York and Philadelphia. The Giants and Jets would be silly to put the state's name on their uniforms / logos.

Exactly.

The Nets will always be considered a New York team. The only reason why they are in New Jersey is because there was land there to build an arena that kept them close to NYC without having to pay a billion dollars to build one in the NY city limits. Its not like they decided to build an arena in Trenton or Atlantic City or something. They always wanted to cater to the NYC area and with the move to Brooklyn they can stop hiding under the New Jersey guise and actually market themselves as a New York team again. Same thing applies to the Giants/Jets. If there was an area similar to the meadowlands available in Manhattan or Brooklyn which could support an 80K seat stadium the teams wouldn't be in New Jersey.

Any New Jersey native that seriously thinks that the Giants, Nets, or Jets are a NEW JERSEY team are seriously fooling themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

jazz2.jpg

I like this concept rendering you made a lot but I know for a fact the Jazz aren't using a new logo for the 2009-10 season. Our company happens to advertise/sponsor with the Jazz, so I usually hear about stuff like this before the media gets word of it. I know they're discussing the possibility of changing the logo for the 2010-11 season though. I've also heard of a new away or alternate uniform for this upcoming season, but I can't get any official word on it quite yet.

jazz2.jpg

... I've also heard of a new away or alternate uniform for this upcoming season, but I can't get any official word on it quite yet.

I hope not. I think the Jazz's alternate jersey is the best in the league; up there with Cleveland, Toronto, & Denver.

ujsignature.png

jazz2.jpg

... I've also heard of a new away or alternate uniform for this upcoming season, but I can't get any official word on it quite yet.

I hope not. I think the Jazz's alternate jersey is the best in the league; up there with Cleveland, Toronto, & Denver.

Oh I totally agree, I'd hate it if they phased out their baby blue alt uni, but I honestly don't think they would. I'm willing to bet the majority of the merchandise they sell is baby blue oriented, so hopefully they're just incorporating a 4th jersey, or they're moving the baby blue over to their official away. I hate their current home/away uniform set anyway. I think they're too plain!

Aren't the Nets supposed to be moving to Brooklyn? I thought that when Jay-Z took over ownership, his intention was to build a new arena there to house the team. If my memory serves me correct, weren't they going to be called the Brooklyn Knights? I thought I saw a website for it a little while ago...could be wrong though.

Aren't the Nets supposed to be moving to Brooklyn? I thought that when Jay-Z took over ownership, his intention was to build a new arena there to house the team. If my memory serves me correct, weren't they going to be called the Brooklyn Knights? I thought I saw a website for it a little while ago...could be wrong though.

Wow, you're right about the Knights name. Looks like at the following site has a silhouette of the current Nets logo and something else with a horse head outline. I sure as heck hope it doesn't look like the old Pistons logo. :P

Brooklyn Knights

You'd think they could come up with a better name than the KNIGHTS. I kind of like the idea of bringing back the Dodgers name but I don't think that's possible, who knows........

Any New Jersey native that seriously thinks that the Giants, Nets, or Jets are a NEW JERSEY team are seriously fooling themselves.

Exactly. No New York City = no team.

However, I feel like the Devils really are "Jersey", seeing as how there were already 2 NY Metro area teams when they moved in '82. They're the only team who never called NY home at any point in their existence, and were joining a market with already two teams. The NBA-era Nets to me never had that same appeal, probably because they just always sucked save for that little run with Jason Kidd. It doesn't help that the Knicks were always really good and in more recent years that there was Brooklyn looming over everything anyway.

But yes, all media in North Jersey is NYC, and it's not like we don't have anything. Our news is NJ, LI, the city, Westchester, etc. Our radio covers that as well. So it's just lumped in. Just because there's a state line and a river doesn't mean they're completely different. North Jersey suburbs are New York suburbs, and just because the Meadowlands happens to be in East Rutherford doesn't mean squat.

(As an aside, in Madden '92 because there was no NFL license, the Jets are "New Jersey" to distinguish between them and the Giants, while the Raiders are "Oakland" and the Rams are Los Angeles even though at the time the Raiders were still in LA).

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

[snip] I've also heard of a new away or alternate uniform for this upcoming season, but I can't get any official word on it quite yet. [/snip]

Does that mean that we could be seeing these babies next year?

jazz_dantley_240.jpg

That would kill two birds with one stone for St. Patty's Day.

That said, hopefully they keep the light blues as well.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

(As an aside, in Madden '92 because there was no NFL license, the Jets are "New Jersey" to distinguish between them and the Giants, while the Raiders are "Oakland" and the Rams are Los Angeles even though at the time the Raiders were still in LA).

Oh, how that game was prophetic in that sense, since the Raiders became Oakland's NFL team just 3 years later. ^_^

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Oh, how that game was prophetic in that sense, since the Raiders became Oakland's NFL team just 3 years later. ^_^

Well they had been in Oakland prior to LA remember, so it wasn't random...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I think the Raiders' time in Los Angeles was tenuous from day one. Moving there required extensive litigation, and Oakland had been trying to get them back for a while.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If New Jersey isn't a market, then they shouldn't call the team New Jersey.

Well, you are right about that. The only reason that this team or any other team has the "New Jersey" name is that the state agency which runs the Meadowlands was cheesed off at the Giants' steadfast refusal to even consider using the name in 1976. So this agency enacted a rule that any new Meadowlands tenants must use the name "New Jersey". And the Nets were the next new tenant.

The New York Nets had been fleeced by the NBA in the NBA-ABA merger when they were forced to make a large payment that none of the other three ABA teams had to make, ostensibly for encroachment on the Knicks' territorial rights. This outlay was reportedly unanticipated by the Nets' owner Roy Boe; Boe had to sell Dr. J to the Sixers on the eve of the club's first NBA season in order to make the payment.

So unexpected was this sale that Sports Illustrated had already gone with a cover featuring the stars of the ABA's and NBA's defending champs, the Nets' Dr. J and Boston's Dave Cowens:

dave-cowens-SI-cover.jpg

The New York Nets, 1976 ABA Champions, went on to finish with the worst record in the NBA in 1976-77.

Boe then struck a deal with the Meadowlands to move into a new arena that was to be built over the next few years, provided that the club changed the name to "New Jersey Nets". Unlike the New York Giants, the moribund New York Nets had no reason to object to this, since they had virtually no fans in New York to alienate. Their "New York" home had not been in the City anyway, but out on Long Island. Thus was born the first "New Jersey" team in a major league.

It is important to remember that the Meadowlands was, at the time, seen as something of a sports haven. When New York City rebuilt Yankee Stadium, it announced that the Giants would no longer be welcome as tenants there. The State of New Jersey then acted by building the team a stadium. In just a few years, the Meadowlands had attracted the Giants, the Nets, and the Jets from New York, and had lured the NHL's Colorado Rockies who became the Devils.

It is hard to conceive now, but it was widely assumed then that the Yankees would eventually build a park out there. Thankfully, we have had since that time a boom in urban stadium-building; and the suburban middle-of-nowhere complex has gone out of style.

But, in 1976 and during the decade-plus thereafter, the NJ Sports and Exposition Authority, the agency which ran the Meadowlands, was feeling its oats. It stuck to this "New Jersey" name policy when it could -- the USFL club that was to have been called the "New York Generals" happily changed its name to accommodate this rule. Even the NFL's own WLAF was affected: the New York Knights became the "New York/New Jersey Knights". (Coach Mouse Davis always wore a sweater that was produced before this change went through, as the sweater said "New York Knights".)

Of course, the Meadowlands people also knew when not to insist on enforcing this rule, such as when the Jets moved there from Shea.

The unwieldy "New York/New Jersey" name made yet another appearance with the MLS's "New York/New Jersey MetroStars". This was eventually dropped, as the club became simply "the MetroStars", which was accepted by the Meadowlands people.

When this club was sold to Red Bull, however, the company unilaterally changed the name to "New York Red Bulls", and so became the first non-NFL Meadowlands team to use "New York" and not "New Jersey" in its name.

The Meadowlands directors squawked and huffed -- and then shut up. The difference was that, whereas the Meadowlands was looked upon in 1976 as the wave of the future, it was seen by 2006 as a dying phenomenon. By 2006, the Devils were on their way to a new urban arena in Newark, and the Nets had been bought with the intent to move them to Brooklyn.

Indeed, the Red Bull company announced from day 1 that they intended to build their own park for the soccer club. (This park will still be in New Jersey; but it will be in an urban location closer to New York City, and it will be accessible from the City by a subway-like rail service.) Red Bull gave the back of its hand to the Meadowlands, effectively daring the complex to kick the club out (and thereby forego enormous rental payments) for the violation of this rule.

The Meadowlands people folded. Here in the urban-stadium era, the time when club owners had to listen to what the Meadowlands people ordered had passed.

The Giants and Jets do remain in the Meadowlands, but only after both teams investigated the feasibility of getting stadiums built within the City. The new Meadowlands stadium, to be used by both clubs, will be served by a new commuter rail station -- a further illustration that the founding principle of suburban stadium-building had been flawed.

Now that the Meadowlands has lost its "juice", and now that we as a culture understand that big-city sports need to cater first to the urban population, I doubt that we'll ever see another big-time team called "New Jersey".

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Now that the Meadowlands has lost its "juice", and now that we as a culture understand that big-city sports need to cater first to the urban population, I doubt that we'll ever see another big-time team called "New Jersey".

Totally agree. By and large sports in the suburbs has not worked. The Nets will do fantastic business in Brooklyn. People actually go out and do things in cities, whereas most people in the suburbs go to their comfortable homes for the night.

And it's a desire voiced by many on these boards and elsewhere; the Nets should go back to those sweet Dr. J unis. For a generic franchise with a middling identity why not rock the unis that many love?

Archived