Should the Clippers bring this logo back?

tomás

The Clippers could play in the Honda Center without changing their name from "the Los Angeles Clippers" if they felt so inclined. They've done it before. (This post is the equivalent to the passenger of a car grabbing the steering wheel as the precipice draws ever nearer. Close your eyes.)
I, speaking as one St. Louisan, couldn't care any less for the NBA.

Do you not like the highest level of basketball in the world, or do you just not like basketball? If you don't like basketball, that's cool, but I can't figure out how your location is germane to your interest in the NBA.

Maybe the highest level, but it's definately NOT the best. College basketball is far better. The NBA is a frickin' joke now.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Clippers could play in the Honda Center without changing their name from "the Los Angeles Clippers" if they felt so inclined. They've done it before. (This post is the equivalent to the passenger of a car grabbing the steering wheel as the precipice draws ever nearer. Close your eyes.)

Do you not like the highest level of basketball in the world, or do you just not like basketball? If you don't like basketball, that's cool, but I can't figure out how your location is germane to your interest in the NBA.

Maybe the highest level, but it's definately NOT the best. College basketball is far better. The NBA is a frickin' joke now.

Opinionated, much?

I'd have to agree, honestly. The NBA has little appeal to me, personally, because the Association has become all about stars, and I want to root for teams. That's part of my love for uniforms... the idea that they signify a group, not individuals. I half believe that if they could, the NBA would put LeBron and Kobe in slightly different uniforms than the rest of their teammates... you know, make it clearer who were supposed to be paying attention to... make it easier for the refs to go preferencial. Just an opinion.

I'd have to agree, honestly. The NBA has little appeal to me, personally, because the Association has become all about stars, and I want to root for teams. That's part of my love for uniforms... the idea that they signify a group, not individuals. I half believe that if they could, the NBA would put LeBron and Kobe in slightly different uniforms than the rest of their teammates... you know, make it clearer who were supposed to be paying attention to... make it easier for the refs to go preferencial. Just an opinion.

A pretty silly one at that.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Really? That's all you got? Can you be more specific than "silly"?

They do look like a generic Lakers team with that logo. I just think I completely new package is in order. Maybe even new colors too.

The Clippers should change their name back to the Braves and adopt similar jerseys to the ones the Buffalo Braves had from 1973 to 1978, except saying "Braves" on the teal road jerseys instead of "Buffalo" for obvious reasons. The franchise had its greatest success with these jerseys so they should go back to them. A move to Anaheim would also be preferred although that will never happen under their current ownership.

Somehow, I just don't see the Clippers leaving L.A. anytime soon. They've been there for more than 25 years now, even without much success.

I think what's worse is that the Clippers actually have some good players, too. If they just got some good management together, they might actually be able to do something.

Since I was the one that was first quoted; yes, I do like basketball. Do I like the NBA, no. When you see players who travel a half a mile (sarcasm), dunk and not get called, and guys driving the lane looking more like running backs, I don't think that's very entertaining. That's why I like football. College is much better to watch, atmosphere and play, although some teams are starting to resemble the NBA. I'd rather watch a high school basketball even more than the NBA. Even though when I look at the history that St. Louis had when the Hawks were here, which was really good, I would happily pass up an NBA team. Besides probably not being able to support a 4th pro franchise, there is very little, if any interest in an NBA team.

How does one become a Clippers fan? Is it something you're born into? Is it the desire to see NBA basketball live without paying Laker prices? Is it an act of contrarian hipness? Alignment with fellow B-teams the Angels and Ducks?

Re: traveling in the NBA

What happened to traveling?

Do people really honestly care as much about the NBA fudging on traveling calls as Internet discontent would seem to indicate? I mean, to hear it from some people, they're just running around with balls under their arms. I can enjoy the NBA without fretting about traveling not being called in every single instance. The NFL doesn't always call holding, and the NHL doesn't always call any number of infractions. How do you bear to watch sports?

It just seems like "they don't call traveling!" is one of those reliable "NBA sucks" tropes that people trot out without really meaning it.

Might be going out on a limb here but I'm pretty sure "You know, I prefer college basketball, the play is so much better" is like #22 on the list of Things You Don't Hear Black People Say. Just sayin'.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How does one become a Clippers fan? Is it something you're born into? Is it the desire to see NBA basketball live without paying Laker prices? Is it an act of contrarian hipness? Alignment with fellow B-teams the Angels and Ducks?

I couldn't quite tell you.

I'm an Angels and Ducks fan, but I am also a Laker fan. But then there are Dodgers fans that are Ducks fans and Laker fans, and Dodger and Clipper fans (I guess). There is a lot of crossover.

And truthfully, I wouldn't even put the Clippers as a B-team. I'd put them more as a C-team. Maybe even a D-team if you count UCLA and USC on the whole.

I know a lot of people that are Laker fans, but go to Clipper games because they are cheaper and just like basketball.

I would assume you would have to be born into it, but then comes the question of how the parents became Clipper fans.

Then there is also the Laker-hater theory. People hate the Lakers and their championships and bravado and be Clipper fans for the hell of it.

I honestly can't say I've ever met a true-blue Clipper fan before either. It is a strange thing. They have to come from somewhere, don't they?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Clippers are playing in one of the nicest and biggest buildings in North America. As a business move, no way to leave Staples. However, do they need a new look? Yes badly! Who did that one cool concept way back in the Fanhome days?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

AAO: Nice stuff! Could one of you kind folk post a jpg here of the I think 93/94 mooted but rejected new Clippers logo & colors? I PROMISE this time to actually copy it, thanks in advance. Mr. Sterling is a strong Worst Pro Sports Owner candidate and an all-time worst contender. As long as he's around the Clips'll make the playoffs every decade if they're lucky & promising early draft picks will cut out as soon as their free agency kicks in. Billy Crystal & Frankie Muniz are among the Clips' celeb fans, dunno about the 15K+ or so who also regularly show up for Clips games . . . B)

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

Re: traveling in the NBA

What happened to traveling?

Do people really honestly care as much about the NBA fudging on traveling calls as Internet discontent would seem to indicate? I mean, to hear it from some people, they're just running around with balls under their arms. I can enjoy the NBA without fretting about traveling not being called in every single instance. The NFL doesn't always call holding, and the NHL doesn't always call any number of infractions. How do you bear to watch sports?

It just seems like "they don't call traveling!" is one of those reliable "NBA sucks" tropes that people trot out without really meaning it.

Might be going out on a limb here but I'm pretty sure "You know, I prefer college basketball, the play is so much better" is like #22 on the list of Things You Don't Hear Black People Say. Just sayin'.

There's a list? How come you have it and I don't?

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Really? That's all you got? Can you be more specific than "silly"?

Nah, "silly" pretty much covers it.

I don't see the Clips getting :censored: in the way of a redesign until Sterling dies - he's too cheap. Besides, the unis were updated what, 9 years ago? They're probably good for another decade or so...

The Clips should use this logo and uniform. designed by AAO, from like 2004.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...lipper+concepts

Ah...to be 17 again. Looking back I think the idea was there, but terrible, terrible execution. And the NBA does not need anymore light/navy blue pairings.

I was willing to listen to this argument until I read that. WOW. I'm pretty sure that most of the hardcore hockey fans will agree with what you just said...but wow @ that.

With that out of the way...yeah, the only way that the Clippers will see any sort of reformation is if they get a Blackhawks-style reformation...the old owner's GOT TO GO, but you know the only way that Sterling's gonna let go of that franchise is by death. He is still making money and still happy as hell with the direction of that franchise.

Archived