2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

i cant believe usc won. ohio st. completely outplayed them for 3 and a half quarters until that final drive. all game long usc was three and out and then ......that. and i love how musberger and herby give barkley all the credit when he just gave the ball to mcknight the entire drive. in his postgame interview with lisa salters barkley says "we're trojans, that's what we do." looks like i've found a new player to hate for 4 more years.

glossysig5.png

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What most people outside the LA-Orange County area don't know or have now just realized, Matt Barkley is that good. If you know anything about his high school, Mater Dei, you know he came from a good school where he started and won all 4 years. He'll only be at USC for 3 years. I wasn't shocked that he won the starting job. And the fact that he was smart enough to use McKnight, well how many quarterbacks out there are too stupid to use the weapons that they are given. His job at this point is to not lose the game, come late Ocotber and November, he'll be handed the full reigns. All I have to say, is get use to being pounded by USC for another three years.

I think Matt Barkley will end up with at least 50 wins in his collegiate career.

Assuming the Pac-10 doesn't expand, that means USC will play 13 games a season (including a bowl game) and, at worst, goes 50-3 in four seasons. (USC plays a 13-game regular season in 2010, as they play at Hawaii, and with a bowl game, would be 14 games.)

$100 says he won't get to 50 wins.

What most people outside the LA-Orange County area don't know or have now just realized, Matt Barkley is that good. If you know anything about his high school, Mater Dei, you know he came from a good school where he started and won all 4 years. He'll only be at USC for 3 years. I wasn't shocked that he won the starting job. And the fact that he was smart enough to use McKnight, well how many quarterbacks out there are too stupid to use the weapons that they are given. His job at this point is to not lose the game, come late Ocotber and November, he'll be handed the full reigns. All I have to say, is get use to being pounded by USC for another three years.

I don't disagree that Barkley is a good QB but the truth is that is wasn't his decision to use McKnight. I am guessing that decision came from Pete Caroll and the offensive coordinator. Barkley simply did what he was told. And he did it well. The truth is that USC was outplayed most of the game. That said, USC also played well when they most needed to. Ohio State did not. That's why USC is in the hunt every season and Ohio State always loses these "big" games. Barkley did a good job and he helped his team win in front of 106,000 hostile fans and on national TV. Not bad for his second collegiate start.

And I'm with Hedley. No way does Barkley get 50 wins.

BB52Big.jpg

I think Matt Barkley will end up with at least 50 wins in his collegiate career.

If he doesn't, then his career is a complete failure and he won't "deserve" to play in the NFL, even as the practice squad QB for the worst team in the league, right?

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'm seeing a Washington fan celebrate with a victory over Idaho, and a Notre Dame fan talking about being screwed? How the mighty have fallen. Notre Dame was screwed when they signed Charlie Weiss. If you've noticed that all of Bill Belecheck's assistants suck as head coaches, which probably makes him that much better. I hope Michigan fans don't think they are actually good by beating Western Michigan and Notre Dame. If Michigan and Notre Dame were worthy of a ranking they wouldn't have given up 30 some-odd points. Neither of these teams are worthy of a top 25 ranking.

I hope USC fans don't think they are actually good by barely beating an Ohio State team that almost went to overtime against Navy at home. We can all play that game. Michigan is good. Notre Dame is pretty good too, and will probably be back in the rankings before long. And if a team gives up 30 points once, they don't deserve to be ranked? You are on the verge of Will territory with that one. How about if a team can't even score 20, they don't deserve to be ranked? All that matters is you score more than the other team, whether you do that with offense or defense doesn't matter. Michigan deserves to be ranked. They dominated a MAC team, then beat a ranked ND team. At this point, there aren't 25 teams who have proven more this season. They have done everything they needed to these first two games of the season, and there are a lot of teams who haven't. At this point, I don't know how you could argue with them being at #25.

...What other choice is there, using weapons they don't have? Barkley was not all that impressive to me. Let me know when he IS handed the full reigns, and we can see whether he is that good then. I am not saying he is terrible, but let's wait until he proves that he can make some plays himself, before we pencil him in for multiple National Championships. At this point, he is not even the best true freshman quarterback in the country. Tate Forcier has already proven much more. Forcier>Barkley.

Also, I can't believe how many Michigan haters there are on this board.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I have to give credit to my arch nemesis BYU for killing Tulane over the weekend, while my Utes were lucky to get past San Jose State. There?s a very good possibility the Cougars could be superior to Utah much more than I originally though, hence them jumping to #7 while the Utes dropped back to #18. We?ll have to see how the rest of the season plays out.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

The Emerald Bowl announced new tie-ins with the Western Athletic Conference and Army and Navy. The Pacific-10 Conference also extended its agreement with the bowl through at least 2013.

Now in its eighth year, the Emerald Bowl will match the Pac-10?s sixth-place team with the WAC?s first, second or third-place team in 2010 and 2013. Army will play against the Pac-10 in 2011 and Navy in 2012, if they are eligible. The WAC will provide back-up teams in 2011 and 2012 in the event that Army and Navy are not eligible in those years.

The Atlantic Coast Conference agreement with the Emerald Bowl ends after the 2009 edition.

I'm seeing a Washington fan celebrate with a victory over Idaho, and a Notre Dame fan talking about being screwed? How the mighty have fallen. Notre Dame was screwed when they signed Charlie Weiss. If you've noticed that all of Bill Belecheck's assistants suck as head coaches, which probably makes him that much better. I hope Michigan fans don't think they are actually good by beating Western Michigan and Notre Dame. If Michigan and Notre Dame were worthy of a ranking they wouldn't have given up 30 some-odd points. Neither of these teams are worthy of a top 25 ranking.

I hope USC fans don't think they are actually good by barely beating an Ohio State team that almost went to overtime against Navy at home. We can all play that game. Michigan is good. Notre Dame is pretty good too, and will probably be back in the rankings before long. And if a team gives up 30 points once, they don't deserve to be ranked? You are on the verge of Will territory with that one. How about if a team can't even score 20, they don't deserve to be ranked? All that matters is you score more than the other team, whether you do that with offense or defense doesn't matter. Michigan deserves to be ranked. They dominated a MAC team, then beat a ranked ND team. At this point, there aren't 25 teams who have proven more this season. They have done everything they needed to these first two games of the season, and there are a lot of teams who haven't. At this point, I don't know how you could argue with them being at #25.

...What other choice is there, using weapons they don't have? Barkley was not all that impressive to me. Let me know when he IS handed the full reigns, and we can see whether he is that good then. I am not saying he is terrible, but let's wait until he proves that he can make some plays himself, before we pencil him in for multiple National Championships. At this point, he is not even the best true freshman quarterback in the country. Tate Forcier has already proven much more. Forcier>Barkley.

So, if you don't like them, you hate them...oh, okay.

Also, there are plenty of blind as bat, lunatic, homererotic fans on this board, too.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Week 2 AP Top 25

1 Florida (56) 2-0 1491

2 Texas (1) 2-0 1404

3 USC (1) 2-0 1396

4 Alabama (2) 2-0 1328

5 Mississippi 1-0 1145

5 Penn State 2-0 1145

7 Brigham Young 2-0 1122

8 California 2-0 1058

9 LSU 2-0 951

10 Boise State 2-0 945

11 Ohio State 1-1 840

12 Oklahoma 1-1 835

13 Virginia Tech 1-1 749

14 Georgia Tech 2-0 683

15 TCU 1-0 609

16 Oklahoma State 1-1 445

17 Cincinnati 2-0 407

18 Utah 2-0 405

19 Nebraska 2-0 365

20 Miami (FL) 1-0 364

21 Houston 2-0 341

22 Kansas 2-0 271

23 Georgia 1-1 260

24 North Carolina 2-0 250

25 Michigan 2-0 169

Dropped from rankings

#18 Notre Dame 1-1, #25 Missouri 2-0

Others receiving votes: Missouri 93, Pittsburgh 87, Oregon State 64, Texas Tech 54, UCLA 44, Notre Dame 40, West Virginia 30, Auburn 26, Iowa 23, Boston College 19, Baylor 15, Clemson 10, Oregon 5, Arizona 4, Arkansas 3, Colorado State 2, Florida State 1, Minnesota 1, South Florida 1

I agree with the Tigers dropping out they played piss-poor football against Bowling Green

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Also, there are plenty of blind as bat, lunatic, homererotic fans on this board, too.

Yeah...because that is what I said....

I am just saying a lot of people go out of their way to say something bad about Michigan, whether they win or lose. That IS a hater.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Yeah...because that is what I said....

I am just saying a lot of people go out of their way to say something bad about Michigan, whether they win or lose. That IS a hater.

Not tryna be funny here (really...I'm not), but, I am just curious...

...How does one from Lansing become a fan of a team from a school in Ann Arbor when the Spartans, and the school they represent, are/were practically in your own backyard?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Really? So as an Ohio State fan if I say something bad about Michigan that means I hate them? Hmm...I guess I'll have to work on that hate thing because, despite the intense rivalry, I have always had a great deal of respect for Michigan. That's not to say I've never "said something bad" about them (I've said plenty) but I do not by any measure hate Michigan. Their fans? Well that's a different matter entirely. :P

BB52Big.jpg

Really? So as an Ohio State fan if I say something bad about Michigan that means I hate them? Hmm...I guess I'll have to work on that hate thing because, despite the intense rivalry, I have always had a great deal of respect for Michigan. That's not to say I've never "said something bad" about them (I've said plenty) but I do not by any measure hate Michigan. Their fans? Well that's a different matter entirely. tongue.gif

If it's an Ohio State fan, yes you can hate Michigan all you want. Trust me the feeling is mutual. But I agree respect is there, but I will never like the Buckeyes ever.

...How does one from Lansing become a fan of a team from a school in Ann Arbor when the Spartans, and the school they represent, are/were practically in your own backyard?

Because their fans are in my backyard too. They make it easy to dislike them, especially with the riots they have any time they get deep in the tournament, whether they win or lose. That is a reason to dislike them now, but I have been a fan since I was very little. I know I liked Michigan's colors and helmets much better, so that may have played a part in it. (I am guessing folks around here wouldn't find that too weird). Honestly, Michigan fans here in Lansing aren't too rare. I have a Michigan fan on one side of me, and a State fan on the other side (the State fan is an A-Hole, FWIW). I also work at a bar in Lansing, so I have to put up with plenty of drunk State fans, and you better believe I wear maize and blue every Saturday. So basically, I was too young to remember exactly why I started liking Michigan, but the older I get, the stronger the feeling is, and the more I dislike State.

Oh, and also, you guys are taking the word 'hater' way too literally.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Because their fans are in my backyard too. They make it easy to dislike them, especially with the riots they have any time they get deep in the tournament, whether they win or lose. That is a reason to dislike them now, but I have been a fan since I was very little. I know I liked Michigan's colors and helmets much better, so that may have played a part in it. (I am guessing folks around here wouldn't find that too weird). Honestly, Michigan fans here in Lansing aren't too rare. I have a Michigan fan on one side of me, and a State fan on the other side (the State fan is an A-Hole, FWIW). I also work at a bar in Lansing, so I have to put up with plenty of drunk State fans, and you better believe I wear maize and blue every Saturday. So basically, I was too young to remember exactly why I started liking Michigan, but the older I get, the stronger the feeling is, and the more I dislike State.

And I'm guessing Central Michigan was never on your radar as a young'un?

I got you, though. Sometimes, I guess, it goes like that. I don't know how it got this way, but it's much the same way here in the Baltimore/DC area, only with pro teams rather than college (as far as I can see). You wouldn't BELIEVE how many Cowboys fans there are around here...its insane. And, of course, the hypocycloid can be seen quite often up there in city of Birds.

And don't worry, cat, I can completely identify with liking the colors and the helmets of a team and becoming a fan based off that. That's how my Buccaneer fandom began as a young'un myself. ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Let me be the first to say, I don't hate Michigan, I hate Rich Rodriguez. You know the coaches, Steve Kragthorp, Dennis Franchionne, John L. Smith, guys who are always looking for a better job instead of building a true program. What separates the good teams from the average teams, the coaching staff. Why is USC good? A good head coach who knows what he has is good and is not looking for something better. It's the same reason Penn State, Florida State and all the other good schools are so good, the stability of their head coach. BYU during the Lavell Edwards era is a great example and so is Virginia Tech of the stability of the head coach can set a team on the map and be good year after year. I want to see Michigan do well as I love their uniforms, but I hate Rich Rodriguez.

Let me be the first to say, I don't hate Michigan, I hate Rich Rodriguez. You know the coaches, Steve Kragthorp, Dennis Franchionne, John L. Smith, guys who are always looking for a better job instead of building a true program. What separates the good teams from the average teams, the coaching staff. Why is USC good? A good head coach who knows what he has is good and is not looking for something better. It's the same reason Penn State, Florida State and all the other good schools are so good, the stability of their head coach. BYU during the Lavell Edwards era is a great example and so is Virginia Tech of the stability of the head coach can set a team on the map and be good year after year. I want to see Michigan do well as I love their uniforms, but I hate Rich Rodriguez.

Some schools have ceilings to where their programs can go to, whereas other schools don't. Schools such as TCU, Utah, West Virginia, and Boise State simply can't compete, financially, with USC or Florida or Texas or Michigan. There are reasons why coaches go from Utah and Hawaii to schools such as Florida and SMU, the least of which is "more money".

Some schools have ceilings to where their programs can go to, whereas other schools don't. Schools such as TCU, Utah, West Virginia, and Boise State simply can't compete, financially, with USC or Florida or Texas or Michigan. There are reasons why coaches go from Utah and Hawaii to schools such as Florida and SMU, the least of which is "more money".

Urban Meyer for example. thdoh.gif

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Archived