2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

Way to represent yourselves today, ACC. There's no shame in losing to Florida. However, your top two teams, the squads playing in your championship game, lost to a pair of 6-5 SEC teams, in games that weren't as close as the score indicated. This is the exact reason why your conference gets mocked across the country, and is also the reason why your championship game gets played in half-empty venues.

Such is ACC football. Stumble out of the gate, spend the whole season trying to regain some credibility, then piss it all away at the end of the season. I get annoyed at how much ass-kissing the SEC gets compared to the mockery of the ACC, and then weeks like this happen and remind me that it's justified.

I feel your pain, brother.

-Dejected Seminoles fan :down:

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So happy right now. Just gloated to all my Tech friends. It's a great feeling, really. So so so happy :D . 30-24.

I've liked Tech since Paul Johnson came in with the option offense, but I was pulling for Georgia today (because I watched with a girl that I'm pretty sure goes to school with you, Elliot.) That was a great win for Georgia, but I'm still hoping Tech wins the ACC Championship to get into the BCS.

Right now I bet Illinois is regretting scheduling two non-conference games after the Big Ten season ended. It was supposed to giv them a smaller time off between the regular season and their bowl game. Problem is, they need to win some games before they worry about getting back to a bowl. Now they're stuck with having senior day in December against Fresno State.

Whaaattttt....?? Who? (I feel like we've had this conversation though lol).

Ok, the day after my night of gloating I do feel a little bad, because I guess I have too much of a conscience. But, it's a rivalry game, and I know they'd be doing the exact same thing to me if things had turned out a little differently. Still, you gotta love rivalries.

I certainly believe we would have been gloating. But I'm in no way afraid to say that Georgia's football team has always been better than ours. I saw some people getting in fights, though. I like the good-natured ribbing that rivalries create, but that's just completely unacceptable for both fanbases. I'm not saying that GT fans are "classier" than UGA fans, because they're not. I'm just saying that the rivalry goes way too far when people begin physically fighting about it. That is NOT a good way to get anyone to like your team.

Also: calling us "nerds" is not an insult. Maybe to other colleges it is, but not to us. We know we're nerds and we're proud of it!

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

Good win for Mizzou knocking their Arch rivals out of Bowl consideration and a strong 8-4 season is just the beginning of hopefully something great.

*blinks*

*blinks again*

Ummmm.....dude? You do realize that your two-year reign on top of the Big XII North ended this year, right?

Last I checked, that was neither great nor desirable. Your best win is probably Nevada. Followed by Kansas and Kansas State (neither of which are going bowling). You lost to Baylor.

In short, I'll take a hit of what you're having. It sounds top grade.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Good win for Mizzou knocking their Arch rivals out of Bowl consideration and a strong 8-4 season is just the beginning of hopefully something great.

*blinks*

*blinks again*

Ummmm.....dude? You do realize that your two-year reign on top of the Big XII North ended this year, right?

Last I checked, that was neither great nor desirable. Your best win is probably Nevada. Followed by Kansas and Kansas State (neither of which are going bowling). You lost to Baylor.

I don't get it. 8-4 isn't a bad season. I bet Syracuse fans would love an 8-4 season. Hell, most schools would be pretty happy with 8-4. It should get you a decent bowl etc. It's entirely possible I am missing something here but I don't get the smackdown on a dude who's happy his team had a nice season.

BB52Big.jpg

I just watched a replay of the USC-UCLA game and this "controversial" touchdown at the end of the game and it's just a bunch of whining by the UCLA supporters and media. I'm sorry to them, but you play the game for a full 60 minutes and the fact of the matter that Rick Neuheisel called a time out with about 54 seconds to go when USC had the ball and then USC lines up in a normal formation and not the victory formation, should've been a clue to the UCLA team. It wasn't, and they were asleep and they got burned and then they want to whine about it. Try playing the game for the full 60 minutes. It's why UCLA and Neuheisel has turned into a bunch of losers. Sorry Rick, but you want to come into town and talk about how USC's run is over and how you're going to do this and that and yet you can't even get your players at the end of the game to recognize a non-victory formation and cover a receiver running down the field. Don't blame Pete Carrol and USC for your poor coaching. I know some people are crying poor sportsmanship by Pete Carrol, but UCLA would've been able to get the ball back with time on the clock and what if they scored and recovered an onside kick and scored again and it was tied at 21? Then what would you be saying about Pete Carrol. You play 100% until the opposition can't tie or beat you, and at the time UCLA called the time out they had 3 time outs and there was time on the clock. UCLA, when you learn to play football for a full 60 minutes and can recognize an offense and the situation, then you might be able to talk. As of right now all the media and UCLA needs to go into their corners and cry because they got beat like the rented mules that they are.

*blinks*

*blinks again*

I don't get it. 8-4 isn't a bad season. I bet Syracuse fans would love an 8-4 season. Hell, most schools would be pretty happy with 8-4. It should get you a decent bowl etc. It's entirely possible I am missing something here but I don't get the smackdown on a dude who's happy his team had a nice season.

The point is "something great" is not starting this year. They had "something great" going the last two years, and then they went off the tracks.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For Boise State supporters, you need these things to happen to better your chances of getting a BCS berth:

Georgia Tech to beat Clemson

Texas to beat Nebraska

Cincinnati to beat Pittsburgh

Oregon to beat Oregon State

TCU will clinch the 7th automatic BCS berth.

The SEC loser will get an at-large pick...that leaves two spots left.

Iowa or Penn State figure to get an at-large selection due to their history of travelling.

The way the bowl selections will likely take place (Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta) won't help Boise's cause. The Sugar's and Fiesta's first picks likely are at-large BCS conference teams. The Orange likely doesn't take an at-large team that's non-BCS and 2,500 miles away. Then when the Sugar and Fiesta make their second selections, they'll likely be left with the automatic berths to choose from.

It's all going to depend on the Orange Bowl's one pick, whether or not Boise State will get in a BCS bowl.

For Boise State supporters, you need these things to happen to better your chances of getting a BCS berth:

Georgia Tech to beat Clemson

Texas to beat Nebraska

Cincinnati to beat Pittsburgh

Oregon to beat Oregon State

TCU will clinch the 7th automatic BCS berth.

The SEC loser will get an at-large pick...that leaves two spots left.

Iowa or Penn State figure to get an at-large selection due to their history of travelling.

The way the bowl selections will likely take place (Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta) won't help Boise's cause. The Sugar's and Fiesta's first picks likely are at-large BCS conference teams. The Orange likely doesn't take an at-large team that's non-BCS and 2,500 miles away. Then when the Sugar and Fiesta make their second selections, they'll likely be left with the automatic berths to choose from.

It's all going to depend on the Orange Bowl's one pick, whether or not Boise State will get in a BCS bowl.

Got another one. You root for USC to lose to Arizona, because I have this feeling that if USC gets to top 14, they're taking an at-large.

LvZYtbZ.png

There's no way a 13-0 Boise State team gets passed over by USC, even if the Trojans win this weekend. All the damage those losses in Pac-10 play have done is enough to keep USC out of the BCS race.

Now, for Boise fans, they're going to need what Hedley mentioned. Georgia Tech is going to the Orange Bowl to keep it's tie with the ACC. The Florida-Alabama loser will go to the Sugar Bowl to keep it's tie with the SEC. That leaves three at-large bids: TCU, Iowa and either Boise State or Penn State.

TCU will more then likely land in the Fiesta Bowl. Cincinnati (or Pitt) would land in the Orange Bowl to face Georgia Tech. This leaves the two at-large spots to those three teams and those spots are either in the Fiesta Bowl against TCU or in the Sugar Bowl against the Florida-Alabama loser.

There's no way a 13-0 Boise State team gets passed over by USC, even if the Trojans win this weekend. All the damage those losses in Pac-10 play have done is enough to keep USC out of the BCS race.

If USC is in the top 14, they are certainly able to be selected for an at-large spot. The Fiesta Bowl would love to take USC if they lose the Big XII champion. It's not about performance at this point.....it's about selling tickets and hotel rooms. Logistics dictate that more folks from Los Angeles would be able to come to Glendale than Boise.....not to mention USC has a much bigger following than BSU does.

Rare is the day that I agree with Will Morris on anything about college football but...in this case he's got a point. Does anyone remember last season? Just in case you don't let me refresh your memories; 10-2 Ohio State was hanging around and the majority of people in the 2008 NCAA football thread were certain they would not get a BCS bid. I kept repeating the same thing over and over again. "Records don't matter as much as the fan base. Ohio State does not deserve a BCS bid but they're going to get one." Anyone remember who Texas beat in The Fiesta Bowl last season?

God help me for agreeing with WillMorris but there is a decent chance that USC could be this year's Ohio State.

BB52Big.jpg

I just watched a replay of the USC-UCLA game and this "controversial" touchdown at the end of the game and it's just a bunch of whining by the UCLA supporters and media. I'm sorry to them, but you play the game for a full 60 minutes and the fact of the matter that Rick Neuheisel called a time out with about 54 seconds to go when USC had the ball and then USC lines up in a normal formation and not the victory formation, should've been a clue to the UCLA team. It wasn't, and they were asleep and they got burned and then they want to whine about it. Try playing the game for the full 60 minutes. It's why UCLA and Neuheisel has turned into a bunch of losers. Sorry Rick, but you want to come into town and talk about how USC's run is over and how you're going to do this and that and yet you can't even get your players at the end of the game to recognize a non-victory formation and cover a receiver running down the field. Don't blame Pete Carrol and USC for your poor coaching. I know some people are crying poor sportsmanship by Pete Carrol, but UCLA would've been able to get the ball back with time on the clock and what if they scored and recovered an onside kick and scored again and it was tied at 21? Then what would you be saying about Pete Carrol. You play 100% until the opposition can't tie or beat you, and at the time UCLA called the time out they had 3 time outs and there was time on the clock. UCLA, when you learn to play football for a full 60 minutes and can recognize an offense and the situation, then you might be able to talk. As of right now all the media and UCLA needs to go into their corners and cry because they got beat like the rented mules that they are.

Regardless of Neuheisel's dumb timeout it was still poor sportsmanship by Pete Carroll. Wasn't it recently that Jim Harbaugh and Stanford gave USC a taste of their medicine prompting Pete Carroll to ask "what's your deal?" So instead of showing that USC can be good sports about something they throw the ball up two touchdowns with 30 seconds left only further proving what an ass Pete Carroll and the USC program is. What Pete Carroll did to UCLA only justifies what Harbaugh and other teams in the Pac 10 have done to USC this season. Keep throwing the ball with a big lead on USC because they would do the same thing to you.

PvO6ZWJ.png

as for Ohio State's opponent in the Rose Bowl, I'm hoping for Oregon to beat Oregon State for the very simple reason that an Oregon christmas cookie would be easier to create than an Oregon State christmas cookie. Plus, Oregon would allow me to create 4 cookies, one for each of the possible helmets they might wear. Making OSU and OSU's bowl game matchup cookies has been a personal tradition dating back to the 2003 Fiesta Bowl. I also made OU-Southern Mississippi cookies in 2006. Here's last year's matchup

cookiehelmets.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

The New York Daily News is reporting that a "source close to the program" has informed them that Notre Dame has fired head football coach Charlie Weis.

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out, Chuck. Not that you would feel it. And take your decided schematic advantage with you.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

The New York Daily News is reporting that a "source close to the program" has informed them that Notre Dame has fired head football coach Charlie Weis.

Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out, Chuck. Not that you would feel it. And take your decided schematic advantage with you.

And according to the "Worldwide Leader", it's become official now.

Apparently, now the ND braintrust is targeting Bob Stoops and Brian Kelly. Oddly enough, Butch Davis' name has also been tossed into this ring--how, I do not know.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

Everybody and his mama worth his salt in coaching will have his name tossed into this 3-ring circus before it's all said and done. Unless Brian Kelly decides to beg, borrow, and steal his way into South Bend. I hope it takes a while, and I hope they are publicly told "naw" by every high profile coach on their wishlist.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You and me both.

I, for one, hopes Kelly stays at Cincinnati and Bob Stoops give them the ol' "Okie-doke" and just says "nope". Jon Gruden done already said he's staying with MNF at least for another year (thankfully), and Urban Meyer "wants to coach at Florida for as long as they'll have him".

Then who would that leave? Jim Leavitt? Skip Holtz? Hell, Nick Saban? Who the eff knows...

notre dame can have another overrated head coach. dennis erickson has lead arizona state to 2 losing seasons and an average season with two straight losses to our arch rivals. granted they were close to a bcs berth in his first season but he hasn't done anything since. enough with getting coaches from the state of idaho and go for a coach who will care to get the program back on course!

Well, since it's not likely that any of the big name coaches are going to head to Notre Dame, I say they should look elsewhere...

Like say... Auburn Offensive Coordinator Gus Mahlzan. Why not? The guy is a self proclaimed offensive genius with a spread offense that would be perfect for Notre Dame. The Irish do have some talent at QB and at WR, so this offense could be a godsend for Irish fans.

Archived