2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

I didn't misunderstand what you wrote, I was making light of all of the praise heaped upon Brett Favre for completely turning around the Minnesota Vikings...who most people forget made the playoffs last season with Gus Frerotte and Tavaris Jackson under center.

Really? Because last year, all I heard about the Vikings was how they were a good quarterback away from being a Super Bowl contender.

And this year, I have heard a lot of praise for Favre for having a great season, but announcers usually also mention that he's benefiting from playing with Peterson.

And speaking of Adrian Peterson, it turns out running isn't the only thing he does really fast.
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson could lose his driver's license after police clocked him driving at 109 mph -- nearly twice the posted speed limit -- on a suburban Minneapolis highway last weekend.
And now we see the NFL suspend him for four games. (Violation of the personal conduct policy)

LvZYtbZ.png

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And speaking of Adrian Peterson, it turns out running isn't the only thing he does really fast.
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson could lose his driver's license after police clocked him driving at 109 mph -- nearly twice the posted speed limit -- on a suburban Minneapolis highway last weekend.
And now we see the NFL suspend him for four games. (Violation of the personal conduct policy)

Thereby p|$$ing away any shot the Vikings may have had at the #1 seed, and maybe even jeopardizing their first-round bye. Alas, they still have too big a lead over Green Bay to blow the division title outright. But why do I get the feeling of "deja vu all over again", that just like in '98 another phenomenal Viking season is about to suddenly go down in flames?

CCSLC signature.png

Thereby p|$$ing away any shot the Vikings may have had at the #1 seed, and maybe even jeopardizing their first-round bye. Alas, they still have too big a lead over Green Bay to blow the division title outright. But why do I get the feeling of "deja vu all over again", that just like in '98 another phenomenal Viking season is about to suddenly go down in flames?

Man, I hope they don't suspend him. I'm gonna be going up to the Metrodome to watch the Bengals vs. Vikings. While I'll be rooting for Cincy, I would still like to see him running the ball.

My guess with Peterson is that if he does get a ban it would be effective in the 2010 season, rather than the 2009 season. I think it would be tooo late on in a season for a commish to take such a controversial action.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

No way they suspend a guy for speeding, at least a first time "offender" and one of the stars of the league, no way.

I agree 100%. A speeding ticket isn't even in the ballpark of drunk driving or domestic abuse etc. A speeding ticket does not in any way "tarnish the league's image" nor is it "questionable conduct" or whatever it is they call it.

Here's what I think Goodell's office should do about this; absolutely nothing. Anything else is a huge overreaction. If he were drunk it would be a different story.

BB52Big.jpg

I think it was said best on Jim Rome is Burning when a Minnesota Senator said that 'just because he goes 100 MPH on the football field doesn't mean he can go 100 MPH on our highways.'

Said best and Jim Rome should never be in the same sentence unless that sentence is some variation of "It was said best when someone called Jim Rome an annoying ass-clown."

So what did the little guy suggest should be done by the league office?

BB52Big.jpg

No way they suspend a guy for speeding, at least a first time "offender" and one of the stars of the league, no way.

I agree 100%. A speeding ticket isn't even in the ballpark of drunk driving or domestic abuse etc. A speeding ticket does not in any way "tarnish the league's image" nor is it "questionable conduct" or whatever it is they call it.

Here's what I think Goodell's office should do about this; absolutely nothing. Anything else is a huge overreaction. If he were drunk it would be a different story.

Actions have consequences - a four game suspension is perfectly legitimate. (And furthermore, if it was one of the Eagles doing that, I'd say the same thing). One needs to be beyond reproach if they are to be a professional athlete.

LvZYtbZ.png

Actions have consequences - a four game suspension is perfectly legitimate. (And furthermore, if it was one of the Eagles doing that, I'd say the same thing). One needs to be beyond reproach if they are to be a professional athlete.

Will...honest question. Would the laws in your Kallipolis be more draconian than the Royal Navy's fabled "Articles of War?"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Only slightly stronger than the Articles of War. Actually, I think Peterson ought be kicked out of the league, but the NFL would do well to suspend him, to show that actions like his are not tolerated. And if the NFL won't, then the Vikings should - it's not like they're gonna get the 1 seed anyways.

LvZYtbZ.png

Only slightly stronger than the Articles of War. Actually, I think Peterson ought be kicked out of the league, but the NFL would do well to suspend him, to show that actions like his are not tolerated. And if the NFL won't, then the Vikings should - it's not like they're gonna get the 1 seed anyways.

I'll be damned. He's every bit as crazy in this thread as he is in the NCAA Football thread. Will's nothing if not consistent.

BB52Big.jpg

3 and a half minutes left in the 3rd quarter of Falcons/Eagles and it's going almost exactly as I figured it would...a complete blowout, with Vick scoring a TD to top it all off.

Even though half the offense is injured and the defense is full of young'uns and midgets, might be time to declare that the Same Ol' Falcons have finally made their return.

Archived