2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, definitely wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons take the L this week, which would be much to the delight of:

1) The thousands of Eagles fans that will no doubt be there.

2) The thousands of Falcons fans that still love Vick

3) The thousands of former Falcons fans that jumped ship and became Eagles fans just because Vick went there. :P

Seriously, though. I want Matt Ryan back. Redman was good against the Bucs, but playing the Eagles with a tattered offensive line, a Pro Bowl RB more-than-likely injured, & knowing that the Eagles big play offense will have a field day with the Falcons defense that loves to give up big plays, this game has the potential to be a complete disaster for the Falcons. I just want them to try their best. :(

Or hopefully the Eagles that showed up to play the Raiders show up to play the Falcons. That'd be awesome. :D

Tomorrow, we will hear all the pundits and talking heads bloviate on how the Titans won (again) on the legs of Chris Johnson and another stout performance by the defense, and the genius of Jeff Fisher wearing Peyton Manning's jersey. Don't get me wrong, all of those things are HUGE for the Titans resurgence, but can Vince Young get a teeny, tiny, half a little bit of due? Thanks, "experts."

Huh? ESPN, Fox Sports, and CBS Sports all have headlines up touting Young leading the Titans to the win. ESPN even says that his last drive was "stuff of legend." All I have heard on TV so far is about Young leading the heroic drive and how he rejuvenated his own career and the whole Titans team. All I have heard about Johnson is his consistent dominance and long runs record, but Young is getting all the credit for today and the past 5 weeks. It seems like most of the time people want credit to be given to things like the defense instead of just the iconic QB or face of the team blindly (though I think it's pretty clear Young deserves it; he was the one thing that changed after that 0-6 run). And in this case your plea is actually the norm while your foreseen media bias is not the case at all.

If I'm wrong about the media later tomorrow, I'll admit and swallow it. But I don't think I am.

They had been ignoring him until yesterday. Yesterday was VY's "official return" to NFL stardom. I still say that was easily the top highlight of the season for me so far, and this is coming from a guy who watched in person as Falcons beat the Bucs on a 4th down TD pass with 20 or so seconds left to win the game. That 99 yard drive was just ridiculous, and he's getting his due from the "experts."

Fair. But after yesterday there was no way to keep ignoring him, and no one has, is what I'm saying.

I, too, hope this keeps going for Vince. It's nice to see the comeback and it would be really sad to see him fall again.

knowing that the Eagles big play offense will have a field day with the Falcons defense that loves to give up big plays

Not necessarily. DeSean suffered a concussion in yesterday's game and his status for next week is unknown. Surprisingly they scored 11 unanswered in the 4th yesterday without him. Kevin Curtis is already ruled out and Westbrook is probably out too, so the rookie duo of Maclin and McCoy need to step up again...

Tomorrow, we will hear all the pundits and talking heads bloviate on how the Titans won (again) on the legs of Chris Johnson and another stout performance by the defense, and the genius of Jeff Fisher wearing Peyton Manning's jersey. Don't get me wrong, all of those things are HUGE for the Titans resurgence, but can Vince Young get a teeny, tiny, half a little bit of due? Thanks, "experts."

Huh? ESPN, Fox Sports, and CBS Sports all have headlines up touting Young leading the Titans to the win. ESPN even says that his last drive was "stuff of legend." All I have heard on TV so far is about Young leading the heroic drive and how he rejuvenated his own career and the whole Titans team. All I have heard about Johnson is his consistent dominance and long runs record, but Young is getting all the credit for today and the past 5 weeks. It seems like most of the time people want credit to be given to things like the defense instead of just the iconic QB or face of the team blindly (though I think it's pretty clear Young deserves it; he was the one thing that changed after that 0-6 run). And in this case your plea is actually the norm while your foreseen media bias is not the case at all.

If I'm wrong about the media later tomorrow, I'll admit and swallow it. But I don't think I am.

They had been ignoring him until yesterday. Yesterday was VY's "official return" to NFL stardom. I still say that was easily the top highlight of the season for me so far, and this is coming from a guy who watched in person as Falcons beat the Bucs on a 4th down TD pass with 20 or so seconds left to win the game. That 99 yard drive was just ridiculous, and he's getting his due from the "experts."

Fair. But after yesterday there was no way to keep ignoring him, and no one has, is what I'm saying.

I, too, hope this keeps going for Vince. It's nice to see the comeback and it would be really sad to see him fall again.

It was unfair to even write Vince Young off to begin with, he was just in a professional slump and it began to effect him personally, and he deserved to be bench but any one who saw the Rose Bowl would have never doubted he could bounce back given a fair chance.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yeah, definitely wouldn't be surprised to see the Falcons take the L this week, which would be much to the delight of:

1) The thousands of Eagles fans that will no doubt be there.

2) The thousands of Falcons fans that still love Vick

3) The thousands of former Falcons fans that jumped ship and became Eagles fans just because Vick went there. :P

4) Bluesky

Seriously, though. I want Matt Ryan back. Redman was good against the Bucs, but playing the Eagles with a tattered offensive line, a Pro Bowl RB more-than-likely injured, & knowing that the Eagles big play offense will have a field day with the Falcons defense that loves to give up big plays, this game has the potential to be a complete disaster for the Falcons. I just want them to try their best. :(

Or hopefully the Eagles that showed up to play the Raiders show up to play the Falcons. That'd be awesome. :D

Fixed an omission. :D

That back-to-back winning seasons thing is starting to look iffy about now.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

So it's official: Vince Young is BACK. 5-0 since he returned to the starting role. I mean, come on, that is nuts. People were declaring his career almost dead when Collins had a good year last year, and now look at what's happened. Tt'll be a travshammockery if VY doesn't win Comeback Player of the Year...hell, I'm ready to give him the award RIGHT NOW.

Also, I bet Leinart probably hates Vince Young to the core. Probably not, but it's still funny to think about. :P

Psst, Flame, while Young definitely deserves some recognition for what he's done, I think there's another QB, came back from having his knee tore to shreds last year in Week 1 who has had the award in the bag for weeks. :)

So it's official: Vince Young is BACK. 5-0 since he returned to the starting role. I mean, come on, that is nuts. People were declaring his career almost dead when Collins had a good year last year, and now look at what's happened. Tt'll be a travshammockery if VY doesn't win Comeback Player of the Year...hell, I'm ready to give him the award RIGHT NOW.

Also, I bet Leinart probably hates Vince Young to the core. Probably not, but it's still funny to think about. :P

Psst, Flame, while Young definitely deserves some recognition for what he's done, I think there's another QB, came back from having his knee tore to shreds last year in Week 1 who has had the award in the bag for weeks. :)

Vince Young did leave that game with a knee injury, but it wasn't torn to shreds, was only a sprain....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores108/108251/NFL819851.htm

:P

I saw, I came, I left.

See, what's going on is Drew Brees is systematically cutting up the Patriots' secondary, and some of the Patriot DB's almost appear to have it in their heads to simply play off the Saints' pass catchers and try to stop the YAC. They are getting really exhausted in this here fourth quarter. Look at the sideline shots (especially now that Brees just tossed a TD at 7:49 to go) of the Patriots...dejection looks to be setting in with some of those players. They ran into an irresistable force tonight...and it showed. And by the way, I hope it's now crystal clear now as to who the second-best QB in the league is. 11-0 is all but a done deal now for the Saints.

I'm unsure of what the AFC playoff seeding picture looks like right now, but the Patriots, if they do indeed end up getting defeated tonight, better hope they can backdoor themselves into a home game of some type--otherwise, they may very easily get cooked come playoff time...and quick. Four out of their last five games are on the road, if I remember correctly, and they're 0-for-the-road thus far, not counting Wembley. They are going to have to rectify those road issues if they expect to do anything come playoff time.

And now this...did Belichick really just pull Brady out of the game? When was the last time he did that? That may as well be tantamount to throwing in the towel...wow.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm unsure of what the AFC playoff seeding picture looks like right now, but the Patriots, if they do indeed end up getting defeated tonight, better hope they can backdoor themselves into a home game of some type--otherwise, they may very easily get cooked come playoff time...and quick. Four out of their last six games are on the road, if I remember correctly, and they're 0-for-the-road thus far, not counting Wembley. They are going to have to rectify those road issues if they expect to do anything come playoff time.

This loss drops them to 7-4, but they're still leading the AFC East by a mile so they'll get at least one home playoff game.

NFL.com has the "if the season ended today" up here, http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true

PvO6ZWJ.png

Redman looked rusty for 3 quarters (and the WR's and shoddy O-line didn't help), but found his rhythm in the 4th quarter. Redman is no Steve Deberg.

And the RB trio of Norwood, Snelling, and Stecker are very capable of stepping up.

The defense has to keep it close, though.

I'm unsure of what the AFC playoff seeding picture looks like right now, but the Patriots, if they do indeed end up getting defeated tonight, better hope they can backdoor themselves into a home game of some type--otherwise, they may very easily get cooked come playoff time...and quick. Four out of their last six games are on the road, if I remember correctly, and they're 0-for-the-road thus far, not counting Wembley. They are going to have to rectify those road issues if they expect to do anything come playoff time.

This loss drops them to 7-4, but they're still leading the AFC East by a mile so they'll get at least one home playoff game.

NFL.com has the "if the season ended today" up here, http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8147d1c0&template=no-right-rail-with-comments&confirm=true

My correction...that's three of the last five for the Patriots, my mistake.

Interesting matchup in that "If the Season Ended Today" schematic...Broncos @ Pats. But...there's still a lot of football left to be played in this season. I'm just glad my NFC Super Bowl pick is still holding true (which pains me to say as a fan of a division rival).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm just glad my NFC Super Bowl pick is still holding true (which pains me to say as a fan of a division rival).

But on the bright side for you, the NFC South's streak of the last-place team making the playoffs the next year continues, so you should be able to look forward to a big year from the Bucs in 2010.

And holy :censored: Drew Brees is ridiculous. I assume the Saints' play calling goes something like this:

Drew Brees: So, coach, do you want me to throw a touchdown on this play?

Sean Payton: Nah, let's run the ball and kill some clock.

(runs play)

Brees: Okay, how about now?

Payton: Sure, go for it.

(Touchdown)

If the season ended now, I think he would be the MVP, but man, what a race that should be down the stretch. Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, and Chris Johnson are all having MVP-caliber performances this year.

Bill Belichick after tonight's game: "We have a lot of work to do to compete with a team of that caliber." :blink:

Not sure there's a Saints fan alive who ever expected to hear that quote from that coach. Wow. The Saints just kicked New England's a**es on MNF. Like 10-0, this is very new...and very nice. As I've said previously, it's all for naught if they flame out in the playoffs but I'm going to enjoy this ride as long as it lasts.

Ditto Bucco btw...couldn't believe the Pats basically gave up with over five minutes left in the game. Stranger things have happened than coming from 21 down late in the game. That was very odd.

Hats off to the Saints D, especially the secondary, and a game ball to Mike McKenzie. Guy comes off his freakin' sofa, suits up - and remember this is a completely different defensive scheme than he played in - gets a pick and flies all over the field making tackles. Awesome game.

Another new thing for New Orleans...#1 draft picks playing like #1 draft picks. Meacham, Ellis, Jenkins...they were fantastic tonight.

What a great game. What a great season.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Bill Belichick after tonight's game: "We have a lot of work to do to compete with a team of that caliber." :blink:

Not sure there's a Saints fan alive who ever expected to hear that quote from that coach. Wow. The Saints just kicked New England's a**es on MNF. Like 10-0, this is very new...and very nice. As I've said previously, it's all for naught if they flame out in the playoffs but I'm going to enjoy this ride as long as it lasts.

Ditto Bucco btw...couldn't believe the Pats basically gave up with over five minutes left in the game. Stranger things have happened than coming from 21 down late in the game. That was very odd.

Hats off to the Saints D, especially the secondary, and a game ball to Mike McKenzie. Guy comes off his freakin' sofa, suits up - and remember this is a completely different defensive scheme than he played in - gets a pick and flies all over the field making tackles. Awesome game.

Another new thing for New Orleans...#1 draft picks playing like #1 draft picks. Meacham, Ellis, Jenkins...they were fantastic tonight.

What a great game. What a great season.

Maybe but they weren't going to do it against The Saints tonight and everyone knew it. I honestly can't recall seeing a Belechick Patriots team get their asses handed to them like they did tonight. But what was even more surprising was seeing The Patriots look a little intimidated. I think New England now has an idea of what it was like to be on the other end of what teams endured from them in 2007.

What a fun team to watch these Saints. They can kill you from every direction.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Wow, that's sad that the Jags are still in a playoff spot as of today....That is NOT a good team.

Agreed, something wrong with the Jags making it and the Ravens being on the outside. Still the Titans are in a reasonable position to catch and pass the Jags.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived